What's new

Gilmore Girls Season 7 Thread (1 Viewer)

Duane R

Second Unit
I haven't contributed to this thread for a while because of personal scheduling, but like many, I'm pretty disappointed with this season thus far. The Luke-Lorelai-Christopher triangle is past stale. I don't know if the writers are purposely trying to kill the show or not, but they're doing a good job either way. I hope Richard ends up being ok, because him and Emily are one of the few characters they haven't tarnished yet. I just dislike the idea that this show is limping towards the finish line after several decent seasons.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
While I did think Christopher's reaction to Lorelai's letter was a bit extreme, it did come off as he had been pretty certain deep down that he was Lorelai's "rebound." That doesn't justify anything, but at least it makes a bit of sense that he could have a small breakdown after hiding those feelings for so long.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Christopher really sucks, and I feel sort of bad for David Sutcliffe for having to see this play out.

Rory and Logan didn't nauseate me in this episode.

Some of the Lorelai/Emily played out okay once Emily broke down with the "Richard is my whole life" bit because it rung true to me.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I realize that the events in tonights ep called for a certain sullen attitude, but I just found tonights ep extremely slow and hard to pay attention to, except towards the end when it did liven up a bit.

Christopher is a real bastard, there's no excuse acceptable for him to not at least return Lorelai's phone calls and telling her where he is or that he's on his way. His actions tonight, or lack therof, are indefensable.

Then of course we have the little confrontation at the end, Chris has got a lot of balls telling someone they should leave when he never bothered to call or show up until Lorlai called him and called him out on how a husband should treat his wife when her father is in the hospital from a heart attack, Luke OTOH, did nothing but show concern for everyone and came as soon as he heard what had happened.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Emily was annoying the hell out of me until she broke down in the gift shop and then I felt sorry for her. The things she was doing was her way of dealing with Richard's situation. Kelly Bishop did a terrific job.

I think this the most I've liked Logan. He dropped everything and came to be by Rory's side which is much more than what Christopher did. Luke left Zach in charge of the diner and came to Lorelai's side.

I hope that the Lorelai-Christopher breakup will be quick and painless.

ChrisCAB

Stunt Coordinator
I have to laugh as most of you are are willingly falling for the obvious tactics of the writers to make the audience root for Luke and dislike Christopher, even while complaining about how the writing sucks (which it does). Christopher's reactions, while perhaps not that of an ideal human being, are certainly understandable. I don't have anything invested in any of the characters, who I find mostly repugnant, and from that standpoint it seems painfully clear to me that Lorelai deserves to be unhappy and Christopher deserves better (so does Luke, actually). Regardless, everyone on the show has made their bed, so to speak, and can lie it and rot. I hate this show but my wife loves it, so I have to vent here.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
That was pretty awful - a prime example of stretching about a half-hour's worth of television to twice it's length, and a painful reminder of how much better the Palladinos handled basically the same material six-plus years ago in "Forgiveness and Stuff". I really hope that Amy Sherman-Palladino's sitcom falls through and Warner offers them some ridiculous amount of money to put the show back on course.

Because Rosenthal, honestly, doesn't get these characters. Except for the gift shop scene (where I suspect Kelly Bishop did all the heavy lifting), Emily looked like a fool, and at no point during the episode did Rory ring true. And, gads, Christopher has never seemed less like a character and more like a plot device.

I hope like heck that this is the show's nadir, since that means things will get better.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex

In this regard, I felt the same way about Chris' reaction to reading the letter that Lorelai wrote. Especially after she'd kept it hidden from him, and actually outright lied to him.

That, and I saw a similar situation and reaction arise in real life a few years back.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I made a comment about that to a friend just this evening. If they don't give a plausible reason why Christopher disappeared and couldn't bother to call Lorelai before showing up at the hospital, the writers will have pulled a really cheap move in my book.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I certainly recognize the manipulation, but sometimes you just want to ride that train. Even though we've been moved from first class to the luggage car. :)

Linda K

Agent
Real Name
Linda K
Ah, man I've been missing this show cause of American Idol.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
I need to get a tivo or something. :frowning:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I was wondering what happened to you, Linda. Yeah, a TIVO or a DVR would be great for you, don't know how I ever lived without my DVR. :cool:

Okay, here's the thing, I know that this show has the intellectual nutritional value of your average packet of sugar and that i'm being manipulated more than Kermit the frog but I don't care, it's a simple little show that's easy to digest and contains the one character that I look foreward to hating every week, I don't care if he's a plot device lol.

Mark_TB

Second Unit
Hello all -- I'm new to this thread, so I hope you don't mind if I jump in with my two cents' worth.

I agree with most of you that the story machinery is showing this season. As someone else stated, the plot seems to be driving the characters instead of the other way around.

In the past, the show avoided the cliched, overdramatic moments that other shows milk for all they're worth. The Palladinos liked to let those scenes play off-screen and instead show us the characters dealing with the aftermath. Think of Rory and Jess' car accident, Richard's previous illness, even Sookie giving birth. This new trend toward the obvious was evident from the beginning of this season when they showed Kirk driving a car into Luke's diner. I thought it was cheap slapstick, and worse, it wasn't very funny. In the past, they would have opened with Luke trying to serve his customers in the damaged restaurant, allowing the audience to learn through clever dialogue the events leading up to the accident.

Richard's onscreen heart attack is something else we wouldn't have seen in the past.

Normally, I agree with the old "show, don't tell" philosophy, but this show is far more entertaining when these characters are "telling."

Finally, did anyone else get a bad feeling when Logan was talking about putting his own money into his latest business venture? I'd bet my own money that the boy ends up broke by the end of the season.

Mark

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
"Finally, did anyone else get a bad feeling when Logan was talking about putting his own money into his latest business venture? I'd bet my own money that the boy ends up broke by the end of the season."

Not only will he lose his money, but it will probably be his dad who twists the knife in his back.

Rory will probably get an early inheritance from grandfather and the dynamics between her and Logan will change.

I agree with everyone here regarding the character of Chris. The writing of his insecurity has been predictable and I was hoping the writers would have given Chris more of a back bone considering the changes his character has gone through over the years.

Don't get me wrong, his character has now become such a shmuck, as the writers have intended, that David Sutcliffe should get out while he can.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
By the end of the episode, I was begging TPTB to put an end to the Misery of Christopher. With Lorelai continuing to pile with the "You suck because you run when you can't deal or man up to the situation" mantra, they should have just had Lorelai stake Christopher through the heart as well.

The problem with Christopher is that he's pretty much always been the plot device that first put Lorelai in the teen motherhood category, and then later he was the absentee dad, and then his own personal situation never rang true (marriage to Sherry, their child) when he comes back into Lorelai's life to inflict some drama into Lorelai and Luke's situation. How does Christopher even function in the real world when he's off-screen? He's just an overall badly written character.

All that was missing from Rory and the TA scenes were Rory chewing gum and twirling her hair. That was just a silly piece that goes quite contrary to Rory in the past and present. Her almost dalliance seemed too clumsily brought to the fore, especially with her almost immediate confession to Logan.

Now Paris needs her own show. And put Michel in it, too.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
As silly as Rory's crush seem, I like it. Other than Dean and Jesse, she always seems to be in control and it should be interesting to see how she handles it.

As for the ending, I'll admit it, I got teary eyed. Even though I was fully aware that I was being manipulated, seeing Loreli's realizeation that no matter how badly she wanted her marriage to work, it was never going to work.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yeah, it was hard to be objective and standoffish about the plot when much of what she said was personally familiar.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The last 1/3 of the episode was good, but I was seriously hohum about the first 2/3.

Wished Rory would have called out Logan's dad for being a jackass.

Will Rory stand by her man now that Logan's fortunes look to be severely diminished.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks