What's new

Gilmore Girls Season 5 thread (1 Viewer)

On a similar note, Lorelai seems to have gotten over her father's treament of her ex (Digger) pretty well. It hasn't been mentioned at all this season. Didn't Digger proclaim in the season finale that he was going to do everything possible to win her back?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Yeah, but then he whispered under his breath that his doing everything possible to win her back was contingent on the executive producers being able to afford to pay actor Chris Eigeman as a series regular for the 2004-2005 season. :D

Regards,

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Because she broke up with him when he sued Richard. The idea being that Lorelai can talk badly about her parents all she wants, but if someone messes with them she'll fight back. Also, she's over her heels happy with Luke so she cares not for Digger or what happened there anymore.

Emily's story this week was very well played right up to the final shot. Very good episode.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Hmm... I think I was neutral on this episode, didn't quite loathe it as much as the previous 4-5, but didn't quite love it either.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
11/30/04 "But not as cute as Pushkin"

This was probably one of my favorite episodes of the this season so far. Much more funnier and wittier, and they even got in a Buffy reference with bumping into "Spike and Drusila" by being out and about after 11 p.m.

Now, the Paris and Danny Strong character hookup is frightening, and yet good stunt pairing. You have to feel for the poor schmuck guy who Rory treats as a friend, but who she depends on the most at school, and he has feelings for, but Logan's presence creates a triangle that Rory is slightly oblivious to for now (though schmuck finally laid it out for her).

The Luke-Lorelai blow-up wasn't all that devastating, but will Lorelai learn from it?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
What's to learn? Lorelei didn't do anything wrong; she saw her boyfriend about to make a decision he would later regret (because, depite his pretestations, Luke does tend to hang onto things) and made sure he had a safety net. Of course, one could argue that Luke is carrying his grief at his father's death too long and hard and scrapping the boat would be A Good Thing.

Question: Is this the first time we've had an episode with Richard but not Emily? I loved that ending with him, Rory, and Logan, though - part of what we love about Rory is that as cute as she is, she can be as much of a dork as Paris, and really does need to lighten up on occasion. She takes after her grandfather in that regard, and his playful side is fun to see as well.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The learning portion is whether or not Lorelai always knows best and acts under that assumption, even under protestations. It's a trait that people either love about a person, or come to loathe. It's an overprotective trait, but people have to learn from their mistakes, even grown men sometimes.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Funniest moment of the show: Rory confessing that she had never had a date with someone from Yale, all the while showing us why, as she obsesses about the library and the smell of books.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Finally had a chance to watch the episode. Great moments throughout, my favorite being Rory's payback on Logan. Of course Paris conferring with her life coach about her recent experience was pretty good too.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yup, new episode. It was okay...I don't know why Lorelai had to lie to Luke...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The manic-ness of the Gilmores didn't quite jive with me tonight, maybe I'm just tired, but it got really nuts with the caffeine withdrawal on Lorelai's part.

The writers are laying the foundation of Richard and Emily's re-uniting with the dog incident.

Lorelai probably knows deep down that she'll always be involved with Christopher on a deep emotional level, but circumstances always provided easy obstacles to keep them apart, but now, Christopher is a much easily accessible possibility, and she freaked and lied to Luke about her whereabouts. And, of course, Luke is just wonderful in the way he created the ice rink, thus setting up even more foreboding heartbreak in the air by laying the foundation for another round of the love triangle between Lorelai, Luke and Christopher.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
It's a network drama series. Misunderstandings have to be manufactured to create a story arc. Very disappointed in this cliched development in a great series.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

I understand it's done to fulfill the need for conflict, so I was basically (rhetorically) expressing my disappointment as well. My friend felt the same way when things started falling apart with Dean and Rory, but that was kind of understandable given the track record of first loves/relationships. I think the problem is that this is out of character for Lorelai, who tends to be so forthright about everything or at least should know better than to lie to her boyfriend. Oh well, what can you do?

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

It's not totally out of character. Lorelai has always been very protective of her relationship with Rory, and Christopher is is an extension of that relationship, which she does not want to share with Luke.

Also, Luke can be insanely jealous, evidenced when he went to jail when he discovered his ex-wife was cheating, and Lorelai wanted to avoid a repeat of that.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's also worth noting that Lorelei hasn't had very many adult relationships - they mentioned, early on, that she'd never had anyone over while Rory was in the house, and that few boyfriends lasted very long because she was very quick to toss anyone aside if they had even the slightest objection to being a distant second in terms of her priorities.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

This occurred to me and that makes more sense to me than the notion of her being protective of Rory and, by extension, Christopher.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
2/1/05

Overall, I thought this was a pretty good episode. Lots of character subplots were touched on, and none felt too rushed:

Rory practically throws herself at Logan, but Logan doesn't take the bait.

Lane and her mom still fight over Lane's independence. The dinner at Lane's mom's house was funny, especially Zach getting the verbal smackdown by a precocious little twerp. That Zach and Lane's mom found common ground in liking Lane better with glasses (vs. the contact lenses look on Lane) was funny. Brian and Lane's cousin could be headed for a hookup. Sebastian Bach rocking with the Koreans was a riot.

Richard runs into Emily's car at a function in a fit of jealousy, and it brings them back together finally. The Friday night dinner was a little scary for Lorelai.

Kirk's inserting himself into the Dragonfly's business flow was klassic Kirk.

Sookie's need for a weekly personal day give rise to rumblings of a ghost in the inn. Lorelai was understanding of Sookie's situation.

Emily reads Christopher the riot act in an effort to get him to hook back up with Lorelai him because Emily feels Luke is beneath Lorelai. This was the ugly side of Emily unleashed to its full potential.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think it was one of the best episodes this season. I didn't care much for last week's (Lorelai's screaming at the snow was a bit much). The kid at the table was a riot, as was Mrs. Kim and Zach bonding over glasses.

Boy, it's always painful to see Rory trying to take the initiative. Nice to see a female go through this for a change though :)

Emily, she can be one ugly woman! So far her worst moments have been times of denigrating Luke and it really bugs me. Chris is okay, but as Emily said, he's weak. I'm just hoping Luke gives him a good smack next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks