What's new

Gilmore Girls Reunion? (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm still stopped about a third of the way through season six. I was planning to dive back in last month, but real world priorities intervened. I always seem to prioritize new programming over old programming (even if it's new to me) with my finite TV time because I'm paranoid that I'm going to encounter spoilers about the new programming before I get a chance to watch it. But I definitely have to work the remaining 38 episodes in between now and November 25th.

I then laughed whole-heartedly when my wife and I finished the end of the first episode of season 2 the other day (as we binge-watch the entire series--again--in anticipation of the new episodes). For the closing scene was Lorelai and Rory seeing each other after each one learned that they were reuniting with the men in their lives (Max & Dean, respectively) and running to each other in giddy laughter in anticipating of sharing that news with the other. :rolleyes:
That's the "sneakily" part!:D In a strange way, though, I think it reinforces Graham's point: here they were both taking a major relationship step, but the most exciting part was sharing the news with each other. Even at the start of their relationships, the relationship they prioritized the most was still with each other.

Part of why so many of us have rooted for Luke to be the guy Lorelei ends up with is because he's the one guy for either of them that meshed well with both of them. When he's in the room, their codependent banter naturally expands to include him. You can see the three of them as a functional family unit in a way you couldn't with any of Lorelei's other guys, even Christopher. He's the only one on the inside, rather than the outside looking in. And he's certainly been more of a father to Rory than Christopher ever was.

Likewise, any guy who wants to date Rory has to be intimidated by the impenetrable bond she shares with her mother. Lots of men have less than awesome relationships with their mothers-in-law. But if you want your relationship with Rory to last long term, you have to get along with Lorelei, and you have to be okay with being on the outside looking in when they're together.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just stumbled upon this on YouTube...while checking out some clips of Kelly Bishop performances in the original cast of A Chorus Line.

An amazing Gilmore coincidence!

Both so very, very young...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
New posters, mirroring the seasonal theme of the revival (some awful photoshopping of Alexis Bledel in these):
GilmoreGirls_Revival_019.jpg GilmoreGirls_Revival_020.jpg
GilmoreGirls_Revival_021.jpg GilmoreGirls_Revival_022.jpg

And some new production stills (damn, that last one's a punch in the gut):
GilmoreGirls_Revival_023.jpg
GilmoreGirls_Revival_024.jpg
GilmoreGirls_Revival_025.jpg
GilmoreGirls_Revival_026.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That's really cool, Mike! I appreciate the heads up.

Alas, a two-hour drive each way just isn't in the cards for this weekend--nor is the $175 general admission.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I've resumed my march toward the original series finale ahead of the premiere of the revival next month, and just got to the April of it all.

On one hand, what an ill-conceived character, and what a painfully contrived obstacle to put in the way of Luke and Lorelei's happily ever after. On the other hand, how impressive that at 13 Vanessa Marano could jump right in and master the rhythms and pacing of that trademark ASP dialog right out of the gate. It probably helps that I accumulated a great deal of goodwill toward Marano via my emotional investment in her "Switched at Birth" character that April can now coast on. (And how strange that arguably her two biggest roles came out of a DNA test in her first episode?)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Peg and I are now past the midway point of season 4. That officially puts up more than halfway through the entire series binge! :thumbsup: (Liz and TJ were just introduced. Lorelai and Digger are testing the waters. Luke and Nicole are lingering together. Lane has left the Kim household. And Jess returned to Stars Hollow to get his car.) :D

But I found this trailer the other day (we MAY have posted it here before)...but the thing that struck me was how incredibly good the SD clips from the original seven seasons stand up against the HD clips for what's been shot to promote the revival. These clips have no business looking this good.

Maybe...just maybe...we really could hope for a Blu-ray release of the entire season when they release the Blu-rays of the four revival episodes?? [And any guesses as to how long after the November 25th Netflix streaming release it might be before a Blu set would be released??]

Anyway...check out how seamless most of these SD clips are when back-to-back to the HD clips:

I realize I'm not watching this trailer/featurette on my 55" plasma...but still...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
OFFICIAL TRAILER!

But I found this trailer the other day (we MAY have posted it here before)...but the thing that struck me was how incredibly good the SD clips from the original seven seasons stand up against the HD clips for what's been shot to promote the revival. These clips have no business looking this good.
Seasons 4 through 7 were completed in HD (and are currently available on Netflix in HD). I'm not sure whether the first three seasons were shot on film or video tape.

One of the things that I'm hoping comes out of this revival is that Warner Bros. releases a Complete Series Blu-Ray set, even if that means upconverts for the first three seasons. As you say, my 4x3 interlaced DVDs of the first three seasons upscale damn good.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You beat me to the official trailer.

They give up a lot of info there.

Seasons 4 through 7 were completed in HD (and are currently available on Netflix in HD). I'm not sure whether the first three seasons were shot on film or video tape.

One of the things that I'm hoping comes out of this revival is that Warner Bros. releases a Complete Series Blu-Ray set, even if that means upconverts for the first three seasons. As you say, my 4x3 interlaced DVDs of the first three seasons upscale damn good.

I was really surprised by that shot of Scott Patterson (present day) talking about his first-ever scene which cuts to the shot of Luke & Lorelai in the diner from the pilot and there's not much of a drop in quality at all.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
They give up a lot of info there.
They sure did! And damn them for making me laugh so hard at a tragic event with that hilariously oversized portrait of Richard that Emily commissioned!

I was really surprised by that shot of Scott Patterson (present day) talking about his first-ever scene which cuts to the shot of Luke & Lorelai in the diner from the pilot and there's not much of a drop in quality at all.
Hopefully this means that they did shoot the first three seasons on film and HD versions have been created!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's not nearly as bad as people want to say it is.

Still quite enjoyable.

Sure, we can wonder about what might have been, but what ended up getting produced was more than simply adequate.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Good to know, guys. My expectations have been so lowered by all of the negative hype surrounding Season 7 that I'm bound to be pleasantly surprised.

I just watched the Season 6 finale. If I had watching this episode live when the show was originally airing, I would have been furious with that ending -- Lorelei blowing up her life because Luke didn't embrace her spontaneous ultimatum, when everything Lorelei knows about Luke should have told her that he'd never embrace such an ultimatum; he's just not geared that way. Yes, the discovery of April put a huge strain on their relationship. And the extreme position taken by April's mother only made things worse. Lorelei was right to speak up, but not to frame things the way she did.

Instead, she turned to her perpetual kryptonite, her weapon of choice for obliterating the status quo, Christopher. Ugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks