JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Lorelai. Sometimes with Rory, since she tended to act like Lorelai at times.

I thought Lorelai and Christopher pretty much deserved each other. Luke should have run for the hills.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There's just been too many Lorelais in my life. I think I kind of had enough with her reaction when the impending marriage to Luke hit rough times.

I tended to sympathize with some of Rory's decisions, especially her tendency to aim a little too high. Her lack of self respect regarding her relationships were disappointing, but realistic enough. I actually like the idea of her finally letting go of expectations and running the local gazette. Letting a little air out of her ambitions. I did NOT like that closing revelation. In fact, that kind of pissed me off, because it probably tethers her long term to someone she should have cast off long ago.

As I started watching the show, I was thinking how radically different Alexis Bledel's character is here compared to The Handmaid's Tale. Then I realized... they're actually almost the same person, under very different circumstances. I've enjoyed watching her character of Emily become an absolute ass-kicker, but still with a sense of humanity, and a healthy sense of revenge. Her final scene with Marisa Tomei just knocked me out. I would love to have seen Rory find a little of that same determination... and self respect.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Excellent John!

Even if it wasn't a grand slam for you, it still sounds like it was at least a three-run homer! :D

I totally get you about Lorelai. She made way too many bad, maddening choices over the course of the seven seasons...most of them involved the men in her life. When she would run into Christopher's arms after a mix-up with Luke would actually get me angry. Every time I (re-)watch the series, all I care about is Luke and Lorelai getting together (I sound like such a teenage girl when I say that).

But I think it is great that you were so heavily vested in th characters of the show. That stands for something.

Wasn't Kelly Bishop's portrayal of Emily Gilmore a tour de force?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Clearly I did enjoy the show, since I watched the whole thing in about two months. Seven seasons of 22 episodes, plus the four 90 minute NetFlix episodes. I was sad it was over, but maybe partly because I need to find something new. No, it isn't "Top Tier" for me, but next level. Top Tier shows for me would be The Next Generation and Buffy, and for straight sitcoms, probably Friends.

The rapid-fire dialog always seemed a little different. They seem to have gotten that refined in Mrs. Maisel. I had watched the first two seasons of that long before I watched GG. I seem to be in the target audience for GG since I was virtually always right in on their weird little obscure references. When Lorelai was talking about watching a movie directed by Anjelica Huston and threw in "Mae Rose made a movie!" I knew right off the bat she was referring to Prizzi's Honor, but seriously, how many people are going to get that? Plus, I've read a lot of classic literature, and there were a lot of references there as well.

This has had me thinking as well, about something personal, since one of my Lorelais is quite possibly significant in the fight against COVID. There are three US Bio-Tech companies at the forefront of developing both preventive treatments and cures. Google tells me she's now a Senior Director at one and I know she works or has worked for the other two over the last 30 years. It's been about ten years since we had any contact, but she's quiet about that stuff anyway. Scary smart woman, with zero interpersonal skills. I was on-and-off the Luke merry-go-round for about ten years a long time ago. Pardon the departure, but one has me contemplating the other.

Oh yeah, Kelly Bishop was often scary good as Emily. Holy crap, she was almost too good at times. Really, just a gaslighting narcissist extraordinaire. And she knew exactly when to dial it back, like any good gaslighter. Logan had some similar moments as well, but there was one in particular when he gaslit Rory so bad, my jaw dropped. I'm definitely tuned in to gaslighters.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
"Working on buIlding, working on building...STARS HOLLOW!"

Sorry. Got a little carried away there singing one of my favorite songs to myself...

Clearly I did enjoy the show, since I watched the whole thing in about two months. Seven seasons of 22 episodes, plus the four 90 minute NetFlix episodes.

Yeah...well, Peg and I just watched all that in seven weeks. Just sayin! :D

The thing Peg and I always say about the character of Emily Gilmore is that she had to be ruthless, yet vulnerable. Impossible, yet accessible. As tough and conniving and controlling as she was made out to be, the character was never one note.

John: Excellent report. I am so glad you enjoyed yourself and liked it.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I definitely was a big fan of the show when it aired, but I'm reticent now to revisit it. I guess I wonder if I now might find their struggles a little inconsequential given everything that's going on in the world. I guess it would be a fantasy to consider that the hardest decision one would need to make in life is choosing between Harvard and Yale...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
One of the magic things about Stars Hollow is that it exists outside of space and time. If you're starting to get cabin fever, it's a wonderful place to escape to.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
One of the magic things about Stars Hollow is that it exists outside of space and time. If you're starting to get cabin fever, it's a wonderful place to escape to.
That's a big part of why I watched it. I figured an escapist TV series with a lot of hours in it was in order. I burned through it faster than I expected. I also lived in Connecticut for about three years.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
_FER5956.jpg

Discuss...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Does anyone here realize how freaking enormous that book is?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I guess I’m following up GG with a BBC/Irish/Hulu co-production called Normal People. (12) 30 minute episodes about an on and off relationship over several years. Highly reviewed.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I've been watching a lot of Gilmore Girls recently. I rewatched the first episode of A Year In The Life last night and I completely forgot that Rory's boyfriend exists. He has to be the least memorable character in the history of the show. That would be deliberately so since nobody in the show can remember him either including Rory.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
My wife and I started rewatching A Year in the Life last night. I liked it when it first aired and i like it now, but I kinda wish it had been 8 episodes instead of four double-length episodes (I realize that the four episodes fits the theme of the show). The dialogue for the show can be so quick that it's easy to miss it, and it can be exhausting. A 45-minute length is preferable for this show than 90. But we'll take what we can get.

Has there been any word on another Netflix series? Or maybe something for HBO Max (if they ever get it together)?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just learned that the hosts of the podcast I have been listening "The Gilmore Guys" were two of the 'B' actors staying in the Dragonfly during A Year In The Life. Here is an interview they did that day with Lauren and Alexis.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I started rewatching A Year in the Life last night. I liked it when it first aired and i like it now, but I kinda wish it had been 8 episodes instead of four double-length episodes (I realize that the four episodes fits the theme of the show). The dialogue for the show can be so quick that it's easy to miss it, and it can be exhausting. A 45-minute length is preferable for this show than 90. But we'll take what we can get.
The only one that felt too long for me was "Summer", with the musical that just went on and on and on.

Has there been any word on another Netflix series? Or maybe something for HBO Max (if they ever get it together)?
When the Sherman-Palladinos committed to their big overall deal with Prime Video, they made sure there was a specific carve out for more Gilmore Girls, should all of the stars align. Even though it's a Warner Bros. production, I believe Netflix has the right of first refusal on any future Gilmore Girls content.

The thing is, though, "A Year in the Life" gave them a chance to tell the story they would have told if they'd made Season 7 instead of David S. Rosenthal -- with the exception of having to account for Edward Herrmann's passing, and some more minor adjustments to align with the choices made during the actual Season 7. Where they ended the miniseries is where they would have ended the series, so there's no longer a sense of unfinished business. They'd have to have a story that excited them enough to go back to this world.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks