1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Gilmore Girls Reunion?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Mike Frezon, May 25, 2015.

1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Watching Episode three tonight!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Darby67 and Adam Lenhardt like this.
  2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I ended up watching "Winter" this afternoon. The first time around on Netflix, I remember it feeling like a dramatic departure from the original series. But watching it again on Blu-Ray, it felt exactly like the original series, only with a longer running time.

Darby67 likes this.
  3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Yay! Thanks for the affirmation, Adam.

Maybe repeated viewings is making it part of the "canon." ;)

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Couldn't stop.

Finished up tonight by tacking on Episode 4.

[​IMG]

I still haven't gone back and read up on my critiques from my first time through...but I am absolutely flabbergasted at how much I was able to just thoroughly enjoy this six hours of television.

Don't know why I was so critical the first time...but I flat-out LOVE IT this time through.

Is it perfect? I suppose not. But it's as perfect as Stars Hollow can get! :D

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Just spectacular.

[​IMG]

6. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Producer

Wayne
    Gilmore Girls made a surprise appearance in The Disaster Artist. They showed some scene with Rory and Dean from season 1.

Darby67 likes this.
  7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Every time I hear a VistaPrint commercial run on TV these days, I always think it's Sam Phillips and some promo for an upcoming Gilmore Girls special or something along those lines:

TravisR likes this.
  8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I didn't hear it -- and then the vocals kicked in.

9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

It is time once again. :D

Peg and I have just completed disc #1 of Season 1 of Gilmore Girls.

There just isn't any other show which we enjoy nearly as much. We just finished season 3 of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (I just couldn't make the eight episodes last any longer!). And as we had both been talking about a potential binge re-watch of GG, it seemed as if the time was ripe.

This will be our 4th or 5th time through the entire series (we did NOT watch it air live during its initial run). And I always recommend it heartily as one of the smartest-written shows ever to make it onto television. Of course, one could also cite any number of other attributes such as the talented cast, Sam Phillips' music, etc. We tend to re-appreciate the episodes--laugh, cry, get angry at all the appropriate times. And we also finish marveling at what high quality the show was able to maintain during its run (even season 7).

And, there is always season one Lauren Graham...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And it is also fun to come back and see Alex Borstein (and others in the Maisel cast) in their various roles in GG.

TravisR likes this.
  10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I was thinking of this show after watching the Greta Gerwig's adaptation of Little Women, and how the first few seasons feel like a warm hug and a scene in a snow globe, and then the show gets more complicated as Rory gets older and more complicated -- to the point where the Netflix revival is actually grim at times.

But through it all, in the case of both "Gilmore Girls" and Little Women, the characters are so beloved that you're willing -- even eager -- to go to those darker places with them. And because they are who they are, they're going to be delightful even when they're struggling or behaving unlikably.

11. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Producer

Wayne
    Enjoy Mike.

12. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

Oh man, I so need to watch this series again.

In the intervening years since it first aired, a lot of quality television has been produced; so I have to admit it might be my favorite series of all time now, but it is still my most beloved. (If that makes any sense. :) )

- Walter

13. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

So we made it through disc 2.

And Peg and I find ourselves laughing at the comedy, angry at Emily, we loved when Rory told Lorelei about her first kiss with Dean.

So we talk about it. I tell Peg what I always tell you guys (and anyone who'll listen) about how great this show is and why. She said watching the show--again--is like seeing old friends...or visiting a town where you don't want to leave. We don't watch many movies that make us laugh out loud so often...or make us care when characters disappoint or get angry with each other. This show just rarely ever hits a false note for us.

I even get angry/disappointed whenever Lorelei is dating some guy who isn't Luke. :laugh:

It is such a gift to have something that is so dependable and so enjoyable. I can only wish everyone could have something they like this much.

Sam Favate likes this.
  14. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Its been three weeks since Peg and I started this latest binge of GG. And we have just started Season 4.

That's not bad. Pretty much a season a week. Of course, it has come at the expense of movie-watching and we have fallen behind on other things we normally watch. (I, personally, haven't minded taking some time off from cable news.)

At the end of season 3, Rory graduated Chilton. Peg and I were talking tonight about the emotional roller-coaster of Rory's valedictorian address and her homesickness at Yale...and Lorelai's dealing with the empty nest--all issues we had to deal with over the years. Just amazing to us each time we watch how the characters and events in this show can have such a huge impact on our feelings.

TravisR likes this.
  15. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

That was December 31st.

Tonight (February 21st), we wrapped up Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life.

That's 7+ full seasons of GG...completed in just seven weeks. I think that proves a pretty serious commitment to the task-at-hand. :laugh: What a blast. What fun. What an emotional rollercoaster ride.

And I can't wait until the next time we do it again!!! :D

I wonder if the Palladinos would ever dare, some day, think about a second mini-series reboot to extend the storylines out that much further? I'm not sure it would be a good idea...but I'm not sure it would be an altogether bad idea either. But they probably won't. Maybe if they do a pro/con list to decide...

I can't speak for Peg, but this is a big deal for me. I could go on about the number of current series which we now have backed up (by several episodes) on our DVR...or, about the number of movies which I have been desperate to get to--Parasite & Jojo Rabbit included! But there is also this void. I've felt it each time we end the series. There's no more Stars Hollow for us to watch. No more town meetings with Taylor, no more walks through the town square--past the gazebo--on our way to Luke's, no more walking past Miss Patty's and seeing the dancers-in-training through the barn doors. No more bouts with Bop-It!, or nights waiting in the snow for the British with the Stars Hollow re-enactors, or watching Lorelai and Rory barnstorm their way through life as only they can with the words they were given by the very talented writers and production team on Gilmore Girls. By this time, Peg and I pick up on so many details of the sets and the intricacies of the characters and we revel in the depth that the writers and actors bring to them and their stories that it is something of a loss when we re once again done and its time to put the sets back on the shelf (next to The Good Wife) until next time. There's a bit of melancholy.

What a fantastic show.

TravisR likes this.
  16. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Walter: Do it.

17. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

One other discussion Peg and I had tonight.

As we watched Rory decide to start writing the story of her and Lorelai's life together, there is that scene when she decides to write the first few chapters in Richard Gilmore's study. Now that very idea is nice enough (and powerful enough) on its own. But as we watched her make her way through the Gilmore mansion I paused the show and said to Peg that while I know what's going on and its significance to the overall series' arc, we were blessed to have one of the most-familiar Sam Phillips' music cues accompany us on her journey and act to tie the newer sequences in to the first seven seasons and convey to us that something good and something significant is going on.

Those music cues (which accompany--and overwhelm--the menu screens of the DVDs) are such an important part of the series.

TravisR likes this.
  18. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

I have so much television to watch, and honestly sometimes it is too passive for me. I do occasionally revisit a series and this one would be near the top of my list. We'll see. :)

- Walter..

Mike Frezon likes this.
  19. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Do...it.

I had several series backed up on my DVR by the time we were done. We started to pick them off one-by-one and were so disappointed at the quality that we just stopped mid-episode and deleted the rest of the eps of many of the series that we re-started. We didn't see the need to waste our time on them after what we had just enjoyed with GG.

:D