What's new

Gilmore Girls Question (1 Viewer)

Michael:M

Supporting Actor
I'm about 5 episodes into Season 2 of Gilmore Girls. I was hooked on the show thanks to my daughters, and devoured the Season 1 set. Loved the dialogue,the acting, the plotting...seemed like a very smart show. Like Friends, West Wing and ER, a show that came out of the gate nearly fully-formed and high quality consistently over the initial season.

I'm now in the episode where Luke's nephew comes to stay with him...and I feel like I'm watching a different show. I guess I'm looking for some feedback from others here (no spoilers, please) if I should keep going or bag it. I'm really surprised at how much the S2 episodes are NOT catching my interest, considering how much I loved S1. The breakup with Max was not a huge shock, but they didn't even show Lorelei telling Max, and we have to basically infer that she called or told him. The story arc with Jess seems fraught with TV cliches, and Luke's gone from gruff tough guy to bumbling, mumbling uncle with a spine made of jelly.

So what's the deal? Should I keep going, or does the show not recover?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Milo Ventimiglia is only on the show for a couple years, although he makes appearances later. Truthfully, I like his Jess a lot and liked the vibe he and Luke had once they got used to each other, communicating with standoffishness compared to the Gilmores' chattiness.

Truthfully, I think the show has been strong throughout its run, even if it does sometimes need an adjustment period as it reinvents itself.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Oddly enough, I'm close to the same point in Gilmore Girls that you're at (I'm seven episodes into Season Two) and I'm enjoying the Jess character. I guess, like Jason said, I like seeing the differences between Luke & Jess' relationship and Lorelai & Rory's. The first season was great and I'm digging the second season just as much.

Not that it answers your question but I thought it was an interesting counterpoint. :)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
For me, season 1 and seasons 2-6 are very different. Season one has a different vibe to it, definitely more with the drama aspects of the show. Seasons 2-6 have more in the way of comedy elements. Don't get me wrong, season one is pretty damn funny, but I've just noticed that more things are played for laughs in the later years.

Someone once mentioned how the opening theme is so wrong for the show. They said that it's too fun and witty to have such a sugary song as the signature. I reminded her that the song really fits well with the first year, but definitely doesn't seem to work as well with the later years episodes. Again, less drama/more comedy.

To be honest, I haven't seen much of seasons 5 or 6... but have heard they went back to the older style of Gilmore recently.

I agree that the Jess storyline isn't all that amazing, perhaps it's because I didn't think Milo was all that great of an actor. Oddly enough, I was interested in his potential spin-off...

Basically, seasons 2-6 aren't horrible, but they're a different vibe from season 1. At least the transition from one to the other feels natural. It's hard to really pinpoint when the changed started.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen this show, but one of my favorite musical artists Sam Phillips does quite a lot of music. And the recently released CD soundtrack is excellent. Can I just start watching and enjoy the show?

Michael:M

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the input. I am a bit dismayed that Season 1 is a bit anomalous compared to the other seasons; I loved the balance of comedy with very realistic relationship drama.

Jess, for me, feels like cousin Oliver from the Brady Bunch - unnecessary and smelling of deus ex machina plot device.

I'm also not liking the character because:

From what I have heard, Rory dumps Dean for Jess, and I just can't stand that. The "bad boy" wins the girl, when the good guy has put in the time and earned his place.

Nevertheless, I will soldier on.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Michael, WRT to that spoiler above I just want to say one thing. Sometimes things aren't always what they seem. And that's all I'm gonna say.

STICK WITH THE SHOW! It's one of the best shows I've ever watched.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I thought season 2 was a bit of a letdown compared to season 1, although there is one scene that was I just loved...

I would recommend renting the DVDs, and watching them from the beginning. I did try jumping in the middle of season 5 while it was airing on the WB. I had no idea what was going on, and didn't like it as a result. When I decided to start from the beginning, I enjoyed it very much!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks