Gilmore Girls (9 April 02)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Seaver, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

This show has sort of been lost in the Tuesday-night shuffle, what with it being in reruns and with all the talk of how entertaining "Andy Richter Controls The Universe" is and "Buffy" isn't and is "Watching Ellie" doomed before it starts...

Anyway, it's worth noting that the producers of "Gilmore Girls" will be submitting the show to the Emmys as a comedy, rather than a drama, this year. While this hopefully means easy wins for writing, Lauren Graham and Kelly Bishop, I wonder if it's also affecting how they write the show. This episode of "Gilmore Girls" isn't completely missing the turn toward melancholy that often typifies the series (as the last new episode did), but it does stay pretty goofy throughout.

It was fun to see Paris and Jess meet for the first time. It shows how these characters have grown that they didn't try to out-bitter each other, but instead wound up debating literature at Rory's dinner table. Part of this stems from how they've had to change Paris's motivations without Tristan around - she's become Rory's comedically insecure friend rather than the nasty rival she was during the first season.

The whole Rory/Jess/Dean situation is fun to watch, too - as likable as Dean is, what he and Rory talk about/do together is sort of an open question. Jess, for all his legion of faults, clearly has more to offer Rory in some areas - and I think Dean's realizing that before Rory.

I didn't think the other thread - Emily trying to make her relationship with Lorelei more like Lorelei's relationship with Rory - really worked quite as well. Having Emily chatter like the younger Gilmores seemed fake, but not like it was supposed to feel fake. I also worry because Emily's the character that slips back into charicature the easiest after these types of stories.

Also, lots of folks sitting this one out. I don't really expect to see Richard on a weekly basis, but having no Sookie, Lane, or Michel (and very little of Luke) made me feel something was missing, especially Lane - she's usually Rory's accomplice/confidant in these situations.

2. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

I liked it too. And just hope that the show continues to season 4... that's looking a little ahead, (season 3 has been guaranteed for next fall at least) but I don't see the show slipping much in the ratings. It's got a good following, and constantly wins me over.

One of the best shows on TV.

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I wonder what the show would do in S4, though - you'd almost have to do something like "Malcolm In The Middle", where some characters are in Cambridge/Boston (Rory and Paris, maybe Lane ends up at Berklee) and others are in Star's Hollow/Hartford. The idea of Rory and Paris winding up college roommates amuses me, though - especially if you make Christopher a more regular character and/or have Emily and Richard in town regularly.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Last night was a new GG episode? I'll have to consult my tape for it then. I love this show. It bears watching twice.

5. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    I'm glad to hear the producers will submit this show as a comedy rather than a drama. I could never figure out why one of TV's most side-splitting shows (well, last year anyway) was considered a drama.

Rob

6. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Finally watch the new episode. Lorelai's totally makes me LOL at her pop cultural quips. I dig that quality about her character. The whole Jess/Rory thing will come to a head pretty soon, perhaps for the season finale (maybe they'll end it with Jess stealing a kiss from Rory and Rory responds back with additional kissing, fade to credits. Then there's no telling where things will stand once they return from summer break).

Dean's got a heart of gold, but a 2 cent noggin. But sometimes the girl will still choose the "secure" one while pining for her "intellectually-matched" partner. It's a time-tested dynamic. Who knows, maybe Jess and Paris might actually make an odd couple after all, stranger things have happened for a guy pursuing one girl and winding up with another.

I do think there is totally some sparks when Jess and Rory come together.

The Emily/Lorelai subplot was just an amped-up version of what happens to many daughters with an over-bearing mother. Lorelai's reactions were priceless as Emily just droned on and on while Lorelai was trying to get some peace. Emily is one uptight woman. I did noticed that the streak of heightened sensitivity for flight is a trait that all of the Gilmore Girls share. Emily demonstrated it last night as Hal Linden was putting the dance moves on her. Lorelai an Rory have shown this proclivity in the past as well.