What's new

Gilmore Girls 9/24/02 Season Premiere - spoilers (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The episode starts out with Lorelai has a strange dream where she and Luke were in a relationship and she was carrying twins.

So the summer has come and gone in Star's Hollow. Rory spent the summer in Washington D.C. in a leadership camp, with Paris single-handedly soaking up the attention of each representative and senator that she came into contact with. Rory had to point out to Paris that she just got hit up for a date and Paris was totally oblivious to it.

Rory comes home, still confused about her feelings for Jess and Dean. Rory spots Jess making out with a blonde girl, and is upset by it. Lorelai reads Rory the Riot Act (either go for Jess, and cut Dean loose, or vice-versa). Rory opts to make a better effort in her relationship with Dean, who's come back from the summer looking skinnier than last season.

Suki and Jackson are still having home decor issues, and their fights don't make relationships all that appealing to Lorelai or Rory.

Lorelai has spent the summer carrying on with the charade (towards her parents) that she and Christopher were going to get back together, but finally she tells them the truth, and her mom is totally disappointed and indignant, but her father understands why Christopher is turning back towards his pregnant girlfriend Sherry. Lorelai is still in a funk over all of this. She's totally avoided Luke's diner for the summer, but she finally drags herself into Luke's diner after the stressful revelation at her parent's house.

Luke begrudgingly lets Lorelai back into his diner, but Lorelai is trying to make a fresh start (her new name in the diner is Mimi). Luke is just as good to her as he ever was before.

The episode ends with Rory and Lorelai consoling themselves at this confusing point in each of their lives.

Overall, this was an emotionally draining episode because there are many highs and lows packed in the season opener. I don't think Rory is over Jess just quite, and she's still not quite "with" Dean totally either. Lorelai and Luke will find their way back to each other, though it won't be a typical route.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I meant to catch a few minutes of the premiere before going to bed.

It was engrossing enough that I ended up watching to the end.

I thought the show was losing steam and direction (quit it with the freakin' troubadors already). It seems to be back on track now.

Hanson

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
When Loralai said "Pick one already." I was screaming..."Go sister!!!"

The first season was great, the second seemed to be running flat, I hope this season can pick the show up a little bit.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Good to have new episodes of my favorite show again. It seems apparent that Rory is only going back to Dean becuase it is the right thing to do rather than because she genuinely feels it with him any more.

And they seemed to spend a lot of time on the prep for Paris' date only to totally drop it. Strange.

Rob

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
she tells them the truth, and her mom is totally disappointed and indignant, but her father understands why Christopher is turning back towards his pregnant girlfriend Sherry
He seemed okay at first but then started getting bitchy when he went on about how Lorelai doesn't care about the consequences of her actions.

I missed the start but it was good overall.

jeremy

Vanessa

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody have a tape of this they could dupe for me? I'm supposed to be taping it off for a friend who's out of the country right now and got a little overzealous with my tivo remote... :b

Vanessa

Mitty

Supporting Actor
The beginning caught me hook line and sinker. I was confused, thinking I had missed the premiere and was seeing the 2nd episode. Only when the twins were mentioned did I suspect something was up, then poof, she wakes up.

Lorelai's dad wasn't OK with it at all, his was passive agressive behaviour all the way, veiled at first, with the veil growing thinner as he continued with his speech.

Paris actually looked attractive, rather than the shrew she usually is. Is that a new softer side we'll be seeing glimpses of this season?

They should call this show Guilt-more Girls (as in guilty pleasure). :b

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Actually, I think he was trying to get across how upset he was that Lorelai didn't marry him when he initially proposed back when they were 16. He just sees the development that Christopher's marrying his girlfrined now as further proof that he's a great guy and Lorelai was insane to let him go originally. Richard's always thought Christopher was perfect.

This has also always been a sore spot for Lorelai because she knew Christopher better and knew how irresponsible he was.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, Lorelai has continually disappointed both of her parents since her teen years, but she's their only daughter, and they have to accept her fabulous foibles, though it does eat at them on a weekly basis everytime Lorelai and Rory show up for the Friday dinners.

I still think Richard understands the score with Christopher, and how Christopher has a second chance to get it right with his 2nd child on the way.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Some random thoughts...

Loved the opening dream sequence, and the segment with Paris talking in her sleep. Very funny.

Rory isn't through with Jess by a long shot. You see the stack of letters from Dean and Rory is writing a letter to Jess. During the sequence where she's helping Paris get ready for the date, she describes a good match romantically speaking and all of the qualities she lists apply to Jess, and not to Dean. ( Paris dating, besides softening her image, provides an opportunity for some expository material from Rory. )

I'm unsure how much of Emily and Richard's admiration of Christopher stems from their opinions of him vs. their desire to see Lorelai and Rory in a traditional family setting. I agree with Patrick that Richard appears to understand Christopher's opportunity to get it right the 2nd time around with his new child.

Nice to see Luke and Mimi starting to talk again. No doubt we'll be treated to another season of them gradually warming up to each other. How much Rory / Jess will affect them will be interesting to watch. Will it play out like season 2, or will a different dynamic be established in season 3?

- Walter.

John Chow

Second Unit
I think I might have missed something, or just forgot. What were Luke/Lorelai fighting about? I know they had a big tiff when Rory got into the car accident, but I thought they had gotten past that, or am I misremembering?

Anyone else think it was funny how on all the previews before the season premiere they showed Rory hugging Dean while Jess looked on, while in the actual episode, he was busy fondling the blonde?

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman."

That was something that had me rolling.

personally, I think she should be with Jess, but he has to tone it down a bit. Dean is mostly controlling and not that right for her. I don't think spending 2 years with someone is enough of a reason to stay with them, there has to be a spark, which I think Rory is missing now.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
I like the show but I think the writers spend too much time trying to be profound and cute sometimes at the expense of the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks