Gilmore Girls 9/23/03 Season Premiere

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Chad R, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Welcome return to one of TVs most underrated hours. I still like how this show avoids "events" (even if the network tries to sell it that way) and just tells a great story with great characters. Luke yelling at Taylor, Jackson's pin, the Queen of Cream, all elements that are a bit off center of life, but believable and lovable none-the-less.

It was funny, I was defending Emily to my wife saying she's never been as bad as Lorelai makes her out to be--and then she pulls the hostage stunt with Rory. Crow never tasted so good.

I'm glad the show is still like a comfortable shoe--nothing that draws attention to itself but something you'd miss if it were gone.

2. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

I was watching the previews for next week (or perhaps they were also sneaking in more distant scenes) and I saw a short segment with Rory opening a door. I said to myself, "Look, she has a new haircut." [​IMG]

I'm a 31 year old man. I'm a slob. I like to think of myself as a prototypical bachelor, untameable and crude. Think Oscar Madison without the fussy roommate. And this damn show has me noticing haircuts, on a teenage girl, and I'm thinking it looks cute - CUTE!

That's what's great about this show - the affection that the characters have for each other rubs off on the audience. It's refreshing to have a show that feels like a mental vacation to a happy place. Even when the Gilmore's have problems, we aren't treated to wall to wall after-school-special melodrama. There's always time dedicated to being silly and friendly and happy. I gave up on Party of Five because it lacked this and I think audiences avoided Once and Again for the same reason. Gilmore Girls has an endless cast of spark plugs that can be brought in to jump start a scene. Even the surly, rude Frenchman makes me smile.

So whatever the rest of you people are doing on Tuesday nights when you aren't watching Gilmore Girls, give it a rest for a week or two and watch this show. If you don't like it, blame me. The next person I hear say that all of TV is crap that hasn't watched this show gets the rollingest rolling eyes smiley that I can muster.

Brad

3. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

It was nice to return to Stars Hollow once again this evening. The show is still in transistion from last season with a number of issues that are still in flux. I'm definitely looking forward to this season as a number of new 'routines' for the characters are developed. Given that Lorelai will have less time with Rory, how she fills those hours of her life will probably be one of the key threads of the new season. Either working on the Dragonfly Inn or possibly her social life? I'm curious as to how Lane is going to fit into the show with Rory at Yale. Also with Adam Brody on The O.C. will Dave make any appearences this season? And I can't help wondering about Jackson and Sookie. Will Jackson make it to the delivery date without learning the gender of the baby? ( sidenote: Pretty amusing seeing Rory walking around with the "I don't want to know the sex of my BABY" button. )

Lots of questions, and a new season to enjoy.

- Walter.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Maybe it was me, but I thought the episode was a little forced, maybe they did "jetlagged" too well. I guess as the season rolls on, I'll get back into their cadence.

I still chuckle at Sookie being one of the few women who weighs less as her pregnancy progresses...

5. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I was kind of bummed to not see Lane & her mom. One of the things that I'm hoping to see from this show is what happens with Lane going off to college and not being under Mrs. Kim's thumb all the time, and how they handle it.

Not GG's best, but still head and shoulders above most other shows on TV.

(Can't help but notice Tuesday is going to be one of the strongest 8-11 nights on TV come November, with Gilmore Girls, 24, and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. Although I'll probably end up watching GG last, like I did last night, to sort of cleanse the palate before going to bed. [​IMG])

7. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

That was mentioned, but never finalized. Since Ms. Agena is still in the credits this year, I'm assuming she'll still be around Star's Hollow on a regular basis. At any rate, I've got to think Lane won't being treated like a child much longer.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Wonder if they'll bring Dave back for a few scenes here and there (though Adam Brody is now on "The O.C.").

I noticed that they slipped in some "more recent" shots of Rory in the opening credit montage.

10. Al Shing

Al Shing Stunt Coordinator

I noticed Jane Espenson has a co-exec producer credit on Gilmore Girls now. Good to see all the former Buffy people getting steady work.

11. Daniel`D

Daniel`D Stunt Coordinator

I missed it! [​IMG]

12. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Cool, I didn't notice Jane Espenson's name in the credits... I always enjoyed her BUFFY episodes.

I enjoyed the show as always. Great characters, little meaningful moments, big laugh moments.

I've always considered myself a city kinda guy, but I'd move to Stars Hollow for Lorelai Gilmore. :b (And based on the preview for next week, she's even cute in glasses!)

13. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Jane scripted episode 4 of this season.

I agree, the comedy used to flow, and the show was very sweet, it's just missing something now. After the first season, they had to rebound from the badness that was Jess. It's on the right track for a good year, but it's clear they had to fix what was broken in season 3...

Also, they do kind of do "events" the second season premiere was a wedding, the episode where Rory is seen as a teen "Rory's arrival!" the second season finale was a wedding.

Anyone else love how everyone on TV gets married in May? [​IMG]

14. Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes Second Unit

It's gonna take some time to reset the direction of the show with Rory away at school. Enter Jake. How long before Lorelei and Jake get it on? The Over/Under is 6 eps.

Good to have the show back, these are some fo the most enjoyable characters on TV.

15. Michael Dueppen

Michael Dueppen Stunt Coordinator

I love this show. Watched seasons 1-3 only a few weeks ago. I could not wait for season 4 to start.
    Liked the episode although it wasn't one of the best. It's still great TV. I'm laughing out loud a few times and enjoying myself the whole time.
    I'm really looking forward to the first episode written by Jane Espenson (I believe it was episode 5 but I can't find the info for the life of me).

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Who's Jake? Are we talking about Luke?

17. Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes Second Unit

Yes Luke, Sorry,

Jake e 2.0 is on my mind.. its been a long off season...