Gilmore Girls - 5/11/04 - Last Week Fights, This Week Tights

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Kevin Porter, May 11, 2004.

1. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

I recently picked up the 1st Season and in comparison, this episode showed that it's lost a little bit of spark over the years. Just a little bit though. Not enough to change my mind that this is one of the best shows on television. And the previews for next week looked...interesting. Luke and Lorelai go for it? Dean and Rory...really go for it? It was refreshing that a main teenage female character in a TV show was a virgin but that looks like it's going to change.

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I don't think Rory and Dean go for it in THAT way. I could be wrong...just going off my impression from the teaser.

For a moment there I was a little concerned Jess was going to get out of hand.

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I've gotta wonder how the family-oriented sponsors who paid for the show's pilot script liked seeing 17-year-old Tana drinking. [​IMG]

Good to see some non-bitter stuff done with the Kims ("it's a double entendre. I've been in this country 20 years, I get things"), and great use of Jess, too.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Ahh... the way that the writers took out Jess was a little painful because his character turns a corner from it being a self-centric into someone who isn't as bottled up inside and can acknowledge the sacrifice others have made for him out of love and concern for him. Now, when he musters the courage to take a chance, Rory shuts him down and pretty much tells him "No" to "them", so Jess has an answer for his feelings for Rory.

Rory's headed for some painful territory, hope it gets dealt with quick because it'll make for some uncomfortable viewing.

Luke's stepping it up, even with Lorelai mocking the "self-help" books, he got past it because he appears to have the bigger picture in mind. Will they finally find each other? Will Lorelai finally "see" Luke?

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, Jess was still pretty self-centered; it never crossed his mind that Rory might not want him back in her life despite the ways he'd hurt her. After all, Luke and his mom did, so shouldn't Rory, too. He's made strides toward reaching his potential, but he's not there yet.

Damn, I wish we'd gotten to see Mariano Men.

The scene with Kirk, Dean, and Jess in the market was hilarious, too.

Another thing - has Dom DeLuise retired from acting? I noticed two of the three DeLuise brothers tonight, and thought it was kind of cool that Lorelei & Rory were watching Fatso last week when one of his sons was guest-starring.

6. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Jess was still very self-centered in his offer to "just leave" with Rory and start over away from all of the things she holds dear, i.e. her mother, college, her grandparents, etc. He showed how little he valued the things that matter to her and good for her for rebuking the punk little James Dean wannabe (with all of the angst and none of the chewy center).

I never liked Jess, and I am glad to see him gone for good I hope.

If next week's promo is like any other typical WB promo; what we think is going down isn't what's going down. Similar to last year when they made it out like Rory would lose her virginity when it turned out to be Paris.

This season of Gilmore Girls has been very uneventful, which is better than doing things that are just baaaaaad (like the stupid pregnancy on EVERWOOD). This show still holds up well for me since the characters still have energy and spunk.

7. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Yeah, Jess was starting to redeem himself until he showed up at Rory's. I guess you can't expect the guy to change overnight, though he did show some promise. I did like the shift in his relationship with Luke. If he shows up again and is growing as a person I wouldn't mind it.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Jess is still baking.

9. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Way to cross metaphors from different shows!

10. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Funny bit with the horse.

11. Kevin Eckhardt

Kevin Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, everyone ignoring the horse standing in the lobby was pretty good. I got a kick out of Kirk trying to speak "renaissance" while DJing for the wedding.

Also liked the Duke v. UNC banter at the bar. Gotta love it when your alma mater gets mentioned [​IMG] (Go Duke!)

12. Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes Second Unit

Luke and Loralei Finally![​IMG]

13. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

if that happens then i hope they make it over the shark....

14. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I don't see Lorelei and Luke hooking up as a potential jump-the-shark situation, though - their chemistry has always been a diversion. The central relationship on this show is, has been, and likely always will be between Emily and Lorelei. If they start getting along much before the series finale, that'll be an issue, but the Palladinos can do pretty much anything they want with Luke.

15. Tony_P

Tony_P Stunt Coordinator

I agree totally. Luke and Lorelei are not the central relatiohship that the rest of the show revolves around.

Heck, putting those two together under one roof could actually ADD a lot to the show. How will Rory react to having to share her Mom for the first time in her life? Would Emily and Richard be OK with Lorelei "settling" for somebody like Luke? In some ways, the fact that Lorelei has never married has kept open the possibility that she would one day rejoin the Gillmore's social circle. With Luke in the picture, that could never happen. Just imagine Luke at Friday night dinners!! [​IMG] There could be some great stuff there.

16. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I disagree with you about Luke's interaction with Lorelai's parents, at least with Emily. I think Richard is a tougher nut to crack, especially after what he did to Jason.

At least with Emily, she met Luke early on and there was no condescenscion or snobbery on her part. Emily pressed Lorelai about her feelings for Luke and she has never shown any disdain for this possibility. Emily has shown that she's not really a snob, despite having all the trappings that would make her so. She IS demanding, has high standards, and anyone would really have to prove himself, but my impression is that these demands are not based on social or economic status.

EDIT: Luke is a hard working business man and she would definitely respect that, as would Richard. This is not to say there wouldn't be material to mine from the inherent differences between these people, but as far as them thinking him unworthy, I don't think so.

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I think Emily is aware from Luke being with Lorelai when Richard was in the hospital a few seasons ago that Luke is a stand-up guy.

18. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Heck, I got the impression that Emily actually likes Luke, if not in the sense that she sees him as someone in her usual social circle. She's seen the Luke/Lorelei thing for what it was since "Forgiveness and Stuff", where Luke was there without question when Lorelei needed someone, and as much as she disagrees with her daughter on most things, that's what Emily wants for Lorelei.

I think, to a certain extent, Emily is going to be hard on anyone who is not Chris. The elder Gilmores are conservative, and think Lorelei should be married to the father of her child.

19. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee

Well, they should definitely be over that idea now that he's married and has his own family.

20. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I think what we're headed for is a sort of crisis between Lorelai and Rory, seeing their relationship is the focus of the series and there has really been no true conflict between them. The upcoming indiscretion (to what extent, I'm not sure based on the teaser) will probably have something to do with that. This makes me kind of sad, but I see this as the only untapped area in the show.