Gilmore Girls 4/27/04

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Cameron Yee, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Theme for the ep was relationship break down:

Luke signs off on the divorce
    Richard and Emily separate
    Lorelai and Jason break up
    Paris and Asher show trouble signs
    Lane and Mom remain estranged

Lane going to see her mom in the middle of the night was quite touching.

So the age old question remains: Will Luke and Lorelai finally get together?

2. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I enjoyed it, especially the strained friday night dinner. It had just the right amount of confusion and uncomfortable tension.

I have to say I'm not sorry to see Jason go. He just ain't Max or Luke.

Will the Dragonfly ever open?

3. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    It also seems Rory is picking up her mother's sharp tongue (or perhaps more accurately the courage to say such things) as evidenced by her final comment to Professor Fleming regarding the redhead with fat thighs.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

On the down side, I thought that the opening dialogue between Lorelei and Kirk was pretty shoddy writing. Kirk does not engage in witty, rapid-fire repartee. Even though it was slowed down a bit, this was clearly first written for Lorelei and Rory. And since that scene did not add all that much, there was no reason to force it.

Perhaps the writers ran out of ideas that week. Or perhaps just a bad production decision.

5. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

This show seems to have been hit or miss since the first season ended.

Some episodes work, some just don't. Some scenes work, some don't.

I can't imagine a season set on DVD would flow well past the first year. I don't think I'll be buying past that point.

6. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

I kinda liked him.

Why did Emily and Richard seperate? I wasn't sure on the reason.

Hated to see who was in the previews....

7. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I don't think it was ever stated as we saw it all from Lorelai and Rory's viewpoint and we know what they know. I'm assuming it was over Richard's treatment of Jason, which may be just the final straw among other issues that have come up in their relationship. I would speculate it's not so much Emily's concern for Jason, it's how Richard seems to be changing or simply not the man she assumed him to be. I'm guessing she is also feeling more of an observer than a participant in his life.

8. WillG

WillG Producer

Was it ever factually stated that Emily amd Richard are in fact separated? Or was the whole situation just paranoia by Lorleai, albiet based on suspicious circumstances

9. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    The way Emily set her jaw and marched out of Richard's study after he said he did what he had to do, I got the impression she was going to do what she felt she had to do -- pack her bags and leave.

Rob

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Richard's recent business decisions were probably the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back (marriage) for Emily.

Emily desperately wants Lorelai to stay in their lives, but Richard totally undermined that aspect by putting business ahead of family, and Emily is reacting to it by forcing a separation from Richard for now.

I thought Lorelai was being a little unrealistic in her expression of her reaction to Jason telling her that he has to sue Richard to get back some of his clients. Lorelai is stuck in a no-win situation if she really wants to be with Jason because of the familial strain that relationship would place on her with her own parents.

11. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

To add to Patrick’s observations, Emily and Richard have had several disagreements this year, including his ongoing lunches with a former rival of Emily’s and a real doozy as to her shopping habits. Clearly Emily had no sense of self-worth in that episode.

I’d say that the show has been building up to this all season.

I also thought that Lorelei was being unrealistic, but at least she is being consistent in being so incredibly self-centered and self-absorbed. It’s always about Lorelei.

Rory has some of those same traits that pop out from time-to-time, not so much in being self-centered, but in telling other people what to do, when it is clearly not her business.

12. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

Not just former rival of Emily's, a former girlfriend of Richard's. Important distinction.