What's new

Gilmore Girls 4/20/04 (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think people missing the Stars Hollow element are happy with the ep. I lost much respect for Richard, as I suppose it was meant to.

Next week looks equally tumultuous.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
That was one hell of a twist at the end--something Gilmore Girls has never done before.

But, this was an improvement over last week's episode.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
So do you think this was something Richard was plotting from the get-go or did he just take the opportunity get back into the firm and screw Jason?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
It was cold-blooded, but a big part of this has to be Lorelei’s estrangement from her parents. She is the one who could not bring herself to tell her parents (consistent with how she deals with them—it was the same thing with opening the inn). And since Jason won’t rat her out, and in fact puts the blame on himself, no wonder Richard has second thoughts about how Jason is dealing with him in all areas.

That plus his retirement is in jeopardy, which his wife now knows.

And we got trouble.

Good episode.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Some subplots, but basically:
·Jason and Richard are playing golf with a client
·Jason’s day comes up to Richard and makes nice, commenting that his wife and Emily might like to be able to talk socially again (apparently the split of Richard from the company has put their social meetings on the outs)
·They go back and forth and decide to meet at Emily and Richard’s for dinner on Friday.
·Nice dinner—even Lorelei is nice (she wears a new dress)—we get some background reminders that they have kept their relationship a secret from the parents.
·Rory departs to study
·The men go to another room for cigars and port
·Meanwhile the wives are really making nice, saying that they will never let a business problem come between them again
·Jason’s dad drops a bomb, telling Richard and Jason that he plans to sue their new firm for stealing clients from the old one, acknowledging that the suit will likely have no merit, but that it will tie up their funds during the court case and probably sink the new company—which Richard has funded with his retirement funds.
·Jason’s parents leave, but not without revealing their children’s relationship (it turns out that Dad had a private eye tailing Jason)
·Emily is shocked and Jason and Richard discuss strategy (they plan to counter sue)
·Last shot is Richard and Jason’s dad playing golf agreeing for him to come into the firm, folding his old company and hanging Jason out to dry.

Just a thought, but I think that Richard may have a long-term strategy that will sink Jason’s dad. He told a story over the port where he had figured out how to get his favorite cigars by cornering the market. Although the story was alluded to in this episode, I think that we are being set up with background as to Richard being a creative guy in these kinds of dealings.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Given how Dean (Howard, nor Rory's) got a raw deal on its coverage by "the media", "love" is not the word I would use.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I had a feeling something was up when Digger's dad described the situation as "Shakespearean" but that last scene totally surprised me. Great writing! :emoji_thumbsup:

Rob

Tony_La

Stunt Coordinator
Richard has always been a shrewd business man. Whether it was planned all along or a last minute deal, it was cold.

I guess it runs in the family, whether intended or not, Rori is going to come between Dean and his wife. She's been pretty much sheltered her whole life, and doesn't understand living on a bugdet. As was implanted in the episode by Dean, Lane, and throughout the season Lorelai. Yes, school is important, but so is providing for one's family. I'm sure Dean and his wife really want to live with her parents for another 4-6 years while Dean goes to school part-time. Sacrifices have to be made, he should've thought about that before he got married at such a young age.

How many times have they made references to everyone knowing everyone's business in Stars Hallow? Shouldn't Rori know better to openly and loudly insult someone in public? Rori was annoying the heck out of me with all her whining.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I got the impression it was a deal made after the fact. It would have been quite a uselessly elaborate ruse to actually hire lawyers to fool Jason into thinking Richard had nothing to do with it. Regardless of when Richard struck the deal, Jason will still know both his Dad and Richard betrayed him.

No, I thought Richard approached him after the fact to save his finances and pension, and most importantly after learning that Jason was dating Lorelai. Richard did this to save himself, save Emily, and possibly (in his mind) save Lorelai.

It's still a bold move for Richard and I like it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Let's be real, Richard isn't beyond cutting his losses if it'll benefit him in the long run, in spite of the personal costs. One of the aspects of the snoottiness that we don't quite hold against Lorelai's parents is because we don't get to see it on a regular basis when they have to do their "dirty work" to keep their place in society at opportune times, and now we are finally seeing that survivor-side of Richard. It marks a departure in the tone of the show, that's for sure.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Very true, but I don't think Richard sees cutting Jason loose as any type of personal cost. They were always business partners and Richard sees it as being just business.

And since Jason isn't near as right for Lorelai as either Max or Luke (the yardsticks by which to measure her boyfriends by), I hope she cuts him loose soon as well.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Re: Personal cost - as to Richard's relationship with Lorelai after kicking her boyfriend Jason to the curb.

Jason was metrosexual before that term shows up in pop culture recently. He ain't right for Lorelai.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks