What's new

Gilmore Girls 4.16 - The Reigning Lorelai (03/02/04) (1 Viewer)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
What did everyone think of tonight's episode? I thought parts of it dragged, but it was slightly amusing. Still great dialogue for the show, but some of the charm that's been there this season seems missing in the last few episodes. The show used to be able to do drama... now it's having trouble dealing with it...

Wondering how the Luke thing is going to work itself out.

Digging the less Kurt time...

Just to note, I happened to catch an episode in 16:9 widescreen, and might I just say... this show looks horrible wide. The dead space on the sides is so completely noticable it's disgusting. Here's hoping the DVD releases of at least the first 4 seasons are 4:3, cause they're clearly not meant for anything but.

Watching that episode was probably my first real experience where I was literally taken out of the show because of the bad framing. 4:3 all the way on this show... :) If I never see another 16:9 episode of GG, it'll be too soon...

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I thought it was a little uneventful, despite the big death and all.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I love Jane Espenson, but drama isn't quite her thing. I did enjoy the show's humor, even if it was a different style than what the Palladino's usually do: More running jokes and stuff that circles back around, less rapid-fire dialogue (maybe if they'd made her showrunner for Mariano Men, it might have gotten picked up). One thing I did think she really nailed, though, was being able to make the audience identify with the characters to the point of feeling proud of them, as in the graduation episode.

I did like seeing the Gilmore extended family some - the bit about Rory winding up talking to her second cousin was great, and I think it was very cool to give Marion Ross another character to play.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
I haven't checked out the show in quite a while so I decided to tune in tonight. There were at least two laugh out loud moments for me ("Take the crackers!! Take the crackers!!). This is in my opinion the WB's best show and I can't wait for the DVD releases. The dialogue is very reminiscent of master playwright Aaron Sorkin and manages not to sound like a wanna-be.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
The bit with the matching eyes Rory and Lorelai share was priceless.

"Second cousin." --- "I gotta go." ---- "We ran into his sister... how could I compete?"

Gold, pure gold.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I watched this late last night, so I wasn't in the best frame of mind, but overall, a strange episode with a few guffaws, but missing the spark. There were some funny exchanges, though. And I did enjoy carefree Emily.

Tony_La

Stunt Coordinator
"Do you want me to come pick you up, take you to TiaJuana, and get you drunk and laid?" -- I almost fell off my chair.

For some reason, I have a bad feeling about Jason and "I need to see Richard to have him sign some papers." Couldn't work have waited for a few days? Perhaps Jason is taking advantage of Richard's distraught state for his gain?

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
Loralei's perception of Jason was thrown way off when She saw his Plasma TV :)

I don't think he's up to anything sinister as it's not the shows style. But maybe he will behave badly and will finally allow Luke to win her over.

May Sweeps will it finally happen?

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
I actually loved this episode! I particularly enjoyed the way in which Lorelei Sr. was "discovered" by Lorelei and Rory, both in all her glory and with all her warts. As a pubic person she seems to have been quite exemplary, but the private person was quite another story.

And there were many laugh out loud moments for me. I loved Lorelei's reaction to finding out that her grandmother had married her second cousin. I can't remember her exact words, but there was something about checking for extra toes that had me really going.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: from me!

Deborah

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

In that high stakes of a business, not really. Most of their clients are corporations that don't shut down for a day for anything. I don't think Jason was up to anything. Actually, it was probably best of him to take care of things while Richard grieved.

I liked this episode. However, I have noticed that Danny Strong's role increases whenever Jane Espenson has a hand in the script. What is it between those two? He's not that funny (he was the least of the nerdly trio on Buffy). His last funny role was Vincent the video store kid who Elaine fell for on 'Seinfeld.'

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Weird episode, but still rather funny.

The lines in the show are delivered in such a straight face for the characters, that is what really gets me laughing far into the episode. Great stuff

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Weird episode, not the light-hearted fun I prefer in the show.

"Gran's going commando?" :laugh:

Rob

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'll have to check, but did Jane write the episode where Rory first started working for the paper? It might just be a case of him being a character she originated and an actor whose capabilities she knows. Heck, for all I know, the college newspaper setting might just be a comfort zone for her (especially since she likely had a hand in creating it), as opposed to the inn or other parts of the show. She didn't quite get Taylor right, for instance, and so might just tend to gravitate toward the newspaper setting.

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator

Speaking of Taylor, what happened to him? He just seemed to disappear after the season opener. He's annoying as hell, but I miss how he and Miss Patty would verbally spar.

De

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
He built the shop next to Lukes (which can be seen through the window from time to time) but then just kind of disappeared....

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I imagine that the actor's just not available; I noticed a couple weeks ago that a Taylor subplot seemed to have been given over to Kirk and wondered if it was a last-minute rewrite.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks