Gilmore Girls 2/4/03

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

This was a terrific episode.

They did a good job casting "young Lorelei" and her cadence was very close to the adult Lorelai. Young Christopher was okay, not quite as good a match as Young Lorelei.

I thought it was very touching how they parallelled the circumstances surrounding Lorelei's delivery of Rory (basically alone until her parents show up) with Sherry's delivery of Georgia (abandoned by all of her friends and Rory being conned into being the surrogate friend for Sherry). The amount of personal sacrifice that Lorelei assumed when Rory calls for her to come to the hospital shows how strong their bond really is during stressful times.

The Luke subplot with the lawyer was amusing enough. But the whole schtick with Lorelei pointing out that the lawyer was being allowed by Luke to use a cell phone in his diner was classic.

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I think audience expectations of Jess are pretty low, so when he "offers" to "go out and be back in an hour", you think he's just trying to play hookey when he's really trying to give Luke some space to play. It was a good scene that shows that Jess isn't as insensitive as his apathetic persona is usually presented.

Kirk is creepy.

4. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Count me in as another person who loved just about everything about this episode. My only complaint was the over-the-top portrayal of Sherry and her friend and how the delivery was supposed to be scheduled. If the friend had said, "Yeah, Sherry screwed up!" one more time I was going to mute the sound as long as she was onscreen.

5. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

Spoilers for long term GG plots
    I read a blurb in the paper the other day that Jess is getting a spin-off series where he goes to California to either live with or search for his father. The sooner the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Praise:
    The flashback bits were well incorporated with the modern day scenes. I'm glad they didn't try to make Lauren Graham pretend to be 16.

Criticisms:
    I think they're stretching this particular round of Paris vs. Rory too far. Get over it already!

Sherry and her friends are farcical. I'm sure there are people who are that vapid, but they seem misplaced as recurring characters on this particular show.

What happened with the retirement party? How can they leave that one hanging? There's no way they went ahead with a Beanie Baby party... I'm dying here. What happened? [​IMG]

Brad

6. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Patrick and Jason--you guys watch way too much TV. But then again, so do I. I find it absolutely disgraceful that the show's never nominated for anything. It's got some of the smartest, sharpest dialogue around. That said, I'll have to disagree and say that I wasn't crazy about the flashbacks. I just didn't find young Lorelei very believable and I kept getting the feeling that she was just delivering lines--very much unlike Lauren Graham, whom I expect to talk just like that in real life (ok, so maybe that's my little fantasy.)

7. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

Well I sacrificed taping GG for taping of Kingpin. Hopefully they'll rerun this episode soon. I wish I had known about Kingpin's Fri rerun sooner.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

There's a lot of stuff on Tuesdays nowadays, so you just have to pick carefully. Also, some people use a box to tune the channels, and it's tougher to change the channels if you're not in the room unless you have a neato Tivo/Replay with the IR channel changer setup.

I have to wonder if/when Rory and Paris will wise up and be friends again, even though they are funny when they snip at each other's heels just to be antagonistic towards one another.

9. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

10. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

11. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter