Gilmore Girls 11/11/03

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

"Die, Jerk!"

OMG! Daniel Palladino turned in yet another fantastically funny script for last night's episode.

The pop cultural references were flying fast and furious, and many times I LOL at them.

Good to see Buffy alum, Danny Strong (Jonathon) get some work, he was caustically funny as Rory's editor on the Yale newspaper. Rory's review of the Nutcracker ballet delights her editor, but it also subjects her to some barbs by the object of her review at the cafeteria, and "Die, Jerk!" appears on her dorm room door, which causes the rest of her roommates to evaluate who they might have pissed off recently, and Paris's own retaliationary efforts had to be called off once the culprit was revealed. Rory wanted to re-write a kinder, gentler review, but the horses have left that barn.

Lorelai's nervous wave goodbye when she tried to graciously make an exit out of Luke's diner after being totally surprised by seeing Luke's wife was a great comedic moment. Lorelai also gave Luke a hard time for getting back with his wife, all her insecurities bubbled to the surface in a funny way.

Jason "Scooper/Digger" is growing on me. He totally impressed Lorelai when he went toe-to-toe with Emily at dinner.

Sookie had her child and now Bruce is still around, scaring the bejeezus out of Lorelai. Michel was pretty funny as he was persona non grata for simply sneezing, which got Sookie all nervous about her child catching germs from Michel.

Lane and her mom had an okay subplot regarding the Marriage Jug that Lane's mom wants to send to Dave. This freaks out Lane, but eventually discovers that the jug has no real meaning to her mom as she just wanted to be rid of some junk.

Anyhow, just a really funny, fast moving episode with lots of laughs, and some character growth for Rory.

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I've heard that Gilmore Girls scripts are something like half-again as long as scripts for other hour-long shows; this one must have been even longer than that. More zingy dialog than I can ever remember seeing on a TV show - I said before that Eigeman's experience in the very talky Whit Stillman films would serve him well here.

3. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    A great episode. [​IMG]

It looks like the "Digger"/"Umlauts" relationship may have some legs -- I certainly hope so.

Jason wheedling a dinner invite out of Emily and then getting restaurant recommendations from her while flirting with Lorelai was classic.

And I loved the Vincent Gallo/Brown Bunny reference. [​IMG]

Rob

4. Jeff R.

Jeff R. Stunt Coordinator

Opening dinner scene:

Rory: It depends on what they're doing when they're talking to you.

I loved it.

5. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

6. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

7. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Something I thought about after making my post yesterday: I found it kind of ironic that with all the great funny dialog crammed into this episode, I think the funniest moment came from just watching Rory's face in the last scene.

9. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    The meal scene was hilarious – the dialog, the subtle looks going back and forth across the table. It was great when Lorelai and Rory started out pumping up the wonders of the internet, then just as fast “turn” on it. Emily’s subtle smile of satisfaction almost hidden behind her drinking glass – priceless!

And the discussion on the review – priceless! “You eviscerated that girl!” “Eviscerated” – there’s a word for ya!

Probably one of the best scenes the show has ever had! We watched the show tape-delay, and after finishing we re-round and watched the dinner scene again – and laughed all the way through it again!

Just as funny was the scene at Sookie’s with Michele banished to the porch!

10. Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes Second Unit

11. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
  12. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Michael,

I hadn’t realized all the music we hear from her on “Gilmore Girls” is the same song – doh!

13. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob

14. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

And Warner wasn't going to let Dan Palladino take a lesser role in producing Gilmore Girls to run it. The money it would cost was the big thing, but the lack of a strong producer was the first issue Mariano Men faced.

Which is too bad, I was really looking forward to it. But after what he's done this year, I can't imagine this show without Dan P. writing it.

15. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

I can't imagine the Jess spin-off-- he was probably the most disliked character on the show. It doesn't seem to make sense to give him his own show.

16. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

WB wanted a spin-off and it was him or Kirk. [​IMG]

I gather from some of the advertising last year, though, that Milo Ventimiglia was popular with the Tiger Beat crowd.

17. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

I actually liked him during his recent brief stint on Boston Public, so it must have been just the Jess character that I could not stand.

18. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

Amen to that.

19. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob