Gilmore Girls 10/30/01

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Oct 31, 2001.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Anyone still watching Gilmore Girls?
    This was a good episode, and having them add Jess, the troublesome 17 year old nephew of Luke into the mix will have Rory become torn between Dean and Jess, who was shown to be a bit of a knave, and a bit aloof, and solitary. Only towards the end is it confirmed that he's quite literary, which makes him very attractive in Rory's eyes, especially you compare him to the sweet lunkhead, Dean.
    I loved it when Luke shoves Jess into the water. [​IMG] That's so Luke.
    Paris is living up to her "beeyotch" title, setting Rory up for failure on the school paper, but Rory handles herself with aplomb and succeeds, in spite of Paris's efforts to do otherwise.
    Luke is pretty much in over his head in dealing with Jess. Having Jess get under Lorelai's skin in less then 3 minutes was priceless.
    Rory's interview with Max was good in that it starts the rebuilding process of their relationship from a stepdad/stepdaughter dynamic back to teacher/student dynamic with bittersweet "what-could-have-been's".
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

2. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

Thanks, Patrick. This forum was in serious need of a Gilmore Girls thread.
    Eventually, I will learn to completely trust the talented writing staff at GG. WB cuts together the most obnoxious teasers and commercials, selling the show as yet another Dawson's Creek, Charmed, Seventh Heaven, etc. I remember being really worried last season when they showed the teaser of Rori and Tristan kissing, as if the show were suddenly poised to sink into yet another melodramatic teen soap opera. Of course, my worries were unfounded.
    I had the same concerns about Jess, and still do to some extent. The "mysterious and sensitive rebel" character is more than a bit played out, but I'm curious to see how they handle him. I laughed out loud when Luke tossed him into the pond.
    "I pushed him in a lake."
    "What?"
    "Jess. I pushed him in a lake."
    The scene between Rori and Max was perfect, and much needed. My wife and I were worried that Max would just disappear. I'm still surprised that they chose to not show Lorelai breaking the news to him. Seems a strange omission. Anyway, the moment when Rori shut of her tape recorder and told Max that she really wanted him to be her step-father was handled beautifully -- completely free of the irony that would have ruined it in any other show.
    I know that they had a lot of ground to cover last night, but the episode definitely suffered from the absence of Lorelai's parents. Oh yeah, and not enough Lauren Graham either. Lorelai should be in every scene, as far as I'm concerned. [​IMG]

3. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Yeah, last year I *hated* Gilmore Girls. Advertised as a silly Dawson's Creek wanabee, the WB kept preempting the much improved Roswell (which was finally exploring their alien origins rather than also being a Dawson's Creek wanabee).
    But then I finally *watched* the show, and instantly fell in love with it. The dialog is clever and witty, and doesn't dumb itself down for those in the audience who don't get it. My wife and I are often chuckling over some interesting analogy that is made, and sometimes have to go look up those we don't get, only to appreciate them more.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I can honestly say that I can watch each episode of GG and get something else out of the 2nd viewing. Its writing is pretty dense and textured. Lorelai's mind is quick (even if she's not book smart, her pop cultural references just slay me). Rory is an extension of Lorelai, and fills in the literary references when needed. I never tire of their mom-n-daughter banter. Dean's reaction to it last season (when he came over to "watch" a video with the GGs was priceless).
    ------------------

5. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Tristan is why Paris is mad at Rory. Paris is mad that Rory suggested that Tristan and Paris go out, and when Tristan figured that Paris wasn't his type, Paris blamed the rejection on Rory, and accused Rory of trying to turn Tristan against her. Paris is so delusional. [​IMG]
    But the dude that plays Tristan is now boinking Jen on Dawson's Creek.
    ------------------

7. Vanessa

Vanessa Stunt Coordinator

Also, Tristan told Paris et al that he was going to see PJ Harvey with Rory. It was a lie, but Paris believed him. Later Rory denied it, but Paris is so focused on her infatuation with Tristan that the knowledge that Tristan dumped her for Rory is killing her. So in her deluded mind, Rory is her enemy because it's competition for Tristan whether or not Rory is competing.
    Plus, it doesn't help that Paris probably hasn't seen Rory back together with Dean.
    Obviously following GG a little too closely...
    Vanessa

8. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Hopefully if the show makes it a few more seasons, it'll go into syndication and we can get season boxsets. But warner bros. owns the rights I think, so ....
    The Best Of :GILMORE GIRLS
    seems more likely....

9. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I love this show because it is one of the few shows my wife and I can agree on to watch. It's fluffy, but it's sprited fluff.
    It does bother me that at the age of 29 now, I find the mother of a 16 year old so attractive. I'm far too young to feel this old. [​IMG]
    I don't think the show has faltered once this season. Jess will be interesting to shake up Rory's relationship with Dean, but I might have preferred a boy to come to rory's school that could drive a real wedge between her and Paris ( a boy they could both chase) instead of Paris being delusional and just mean (it weakens her character).

10. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    Re: Paris and Rory, conflict makes for more interesting characters and story lines, so I can see why Amy Sherman-Palladino (the writer/producer) is carrying this on.
    My point was it just feels really contrived at this point (presumably it's gone on all summer and into the new school year) and I wish she (Amy) would move on.
    Rob
    ------------------
    "That suits me down to the ground."
    [Edited last by Rob Willey on November 01, 2001 at 02:01 PM]

11. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

It does bother me that at the age of 29 now, I find the mother of a 16 year old so attractive. I'm far too young to feel this old.
    Well, she is only 33 on the show (34 in real life). Most people her age don't have 16 year old daughters. [​IMG]