What's new

Gilmore Girls 10/21/03 (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's perfectly reasonable that Rory wouldn't really think of Georgia as her sister, although I think that's got more to do with the actor who plays Chris not being available than with anything deliberate on the writers' parts. Just thought that while Rory was in babble-mode she might have done the "no, I don't, well, yeah, I guess I do but Gigi's only a half-sister and only about a year old and I don't see her or my dad very much but geez I was there when she was born so how could I forget her I'm a horrible person" thing. :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Georgia would be considered a half-sister, not a step-sister since she and Rory share the same father.

Jodee

Screenwriter
I have an older half-sister (she is in her late 50's) and we have never met (although just in the past year we started emailing). I have known of her existence since I was about 12, but usually when people ask me how many siblings I usually just count my other "full" sister.

I agree though, that it would have fit perfectly in the scene if Rory would have backpedaled after she said "none" and babbled "Oh wait, I forgot my baby half-sister Gigi". Especially after she just basically did the same thing after he asked her if she had ever been to Italy.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I read that the vacancy in Lane's band will be filled by:
Sebastian Bach of Skid Row!

That should be interesting.

Rob

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
I must of missed that episode, cause I have no recollection of that name, although I do know who ya'll are referring to.

And yea I guess it would be a half sister not a step sister. My bad there.

Well, seeing how much interaction there has been between Rory and her dad lately (he didn't show for her graduation, remember?) her forgetting about a half sister is not that surprising, especially when she's lived 17 years being an only child with minimal contribution from the father.
Yea I wouldn't really say she was a "sister" if I were in the same situation.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
For a girl who went off to college, Rory sure spends a lot of time back home.
Did you catch the allusion to this in the throwaway line when they were discussing dating? “We’ve seen Grey Gardens”, says Mom to daughter.

I figured that not one in a hundred viewer would ever even had heard this movie and probably not one in a thousand (of Gilmore Girls) viewers have actually seen it.

No way do I consider the members of this forum to be representative, BTW.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I was surprised (and a little embarrassed) that the writers came up with a movie reference that I was totally unfamiliar with. Please explain.
Grey Gardens is a documentary made in the 1970s by the Maysles brothers. They are most famous for Gimme Shelter (about the Stones 1969 tour) and Salesman, a seminal documentary about door-to-door Bible salesmen in the 60s (but it seems like the 50s).

Grey Gardens is about a mother and daughter who live with each other and have their own peculiar way of dealing with the world at large and each other. They often provide their own entertainment for each other and dress (especially the daughter) with their own sense of style and speak to each other with words and phrases filled with their own special meanings.

‘Big Edie’, the mother and ‘Little Edie’ Beale are cousins of Jacqueline Bouvier. Like Lorelai, ‘Big Edie’ dropped out of high society to live her own life. ‘Little Edie’, has chosen to stay with her mother. They live alone in a decaying mansion filled with their possessions, memories and many, many cats.

There are regrets and recriminations, of chances not taken and suitors rejected.

This is available on Criterion and is a powerful, if very unsettling documentary.

Of course, the point is that they the two have some self-awareness—this is how they could wind up. Now you would think that being self-aware would prevent this from happening.

But the Beale’s are aware of their own situation as well.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Cool Lew, thanks. I've heard of the Maysles, but not Grey Gardens. I'll check it out.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks