Gilmore Girls 1/27/04

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Jason Seaver, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

One of the best GG in quite some time. Only a couple misfires - the teaser just wasn't funny, and the Rory/laundry guy stuff seemed like filler for something else, like another guest star was planned and backed out.

I'm a big fan of the Kims, though, and it was great to finally see that come to a head. Mrs. Kim can look like a monster at times, but the way she held back here made her a lot more sympathetic. Both her and Lane are in the wrong - what Lane proposed at the end was rather self-serving - but they both have points in their favor, too. When Mrs. Kim said "children don't make the rules", the logical response seems to be "but Lane's not a child any more"... and that Lane didn't say that might be telling, as well.

Meanwhile, the bell thing had me dying in laughter. I think my favorite part was walking by Dosey's and seeing huge signs for earplugs and aspirin which the characters don't comment on. Still, the whole sequence of Lorelei asking Luke if he wants to break the bells, to Luke explaining the best, least destructive way to sabotage them, to the minister telling the unmarried couple everyone knows should be together vandalizing his curch to "carry on", had me almost in tears.

Best show on TV.

2. James Gumbart

James Gumbart Stunt Coordinator

Lane is one of my favorite parts of the show (Laurelei and Jason is another at the moment) and I'm really glad they moved her storyline along a bit.

However I think Mrs. Kim is completely in the wrong. There's a big difference between guiding your child and controlling their life to an absurd level. (No, I'm not a parent, and I'm only 21 so perhaps my point of view is to be expected).

In any case, I hope this gives Lane a chance to strike out on her own and do a little growing up.

I am NOT interested in Jess coming back next week though.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The episode started slowly (or uninterestingly), but as the "Lane breaking free from her mother's apron" storyline started to catch steam, and it does present some voice to the "over-protective parent" issue that teens on the cusp of adulthood have to deal with if they are to find themselves and their own voice.

Luke and Lorelai are cute when they are in cahoots on a mission. When will Luke ditch the lawyer?

Rory's definitely inherited Lorelai's gene for self-inflicted self-centered drama.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I am and have a grown child. While each parent does what they think is right—right for me is to guide your children to good choices (by this age) and hope that they choose wisely. But in the end, it is up to them to choose.

And to provide an environment that allows for mistakes to be made.

5. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Great episode, but I wonder what Lorelai's response was going to be before the minister interrupted her? Maybe she didn't even know as she's certainly a person who speaks first and thinks out loud. And denial is a powerful thing.

I'm glad everything came to a head with Lane's secret life. I thought her mother's response, given her beliefs and history, was very fair. You could see that it hurt her to say, but giving her the option to move out was a big step!

Lane's storyline reminds me a lot of a college friend (also Korean American) who had mother control issues. She finally made her break when she finished school and as painful as it all was it was a great, great thing to see happen. Relationship dynamics like the Kims' are fairly common in families with Asian immigrant parents. It's a bit exaagerated on GG, but it's a reflection of the truth. I'm not sure how much of that goes on in caucasian families (my impression is not as much). When I talk to some of my friends they are surprised at the level of input (often unsolicited) my parents have in decisions that many would consider my own business.

6. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Loved the Kim storyline. Very moving, not just for Lane, but for Mr.s Kim. She's a wonderful actress and it's great they use her from time to time. I just hope they don't drop it like they've been doing lately with other storylines --i.e. Richard seeing hiscollege sweetheart every year for 40 years behind his wife's back. They may bring it up later, but we never got to see Emily deal with it when it was fresh.

7. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    This line struck me as funny, although a little obscure: "I don't know if they're Kirk bells or church bells." In Scotland, a church is known as a "kirk".

Then the follow-up with Shatner, who played Capt. Kirk, also having tinnitus. I thought it was a clever play on words.

Rob

8. AimeeM

AimeeM Auditioning

I have been a big fan of this show since it started. But this season has been AWFUL. What happened? Have they switched writers? I used to love to watch this show, now I don't care if I miss it.

9. Lew Crippen

They have struggled to establish life after Rory goes to school. By now they are not even bothering to make up excuses as to why she shows up at Mom’s all the time.

10. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee

Wow, I wouldn't go that far. I see a much greater discrepancy b/w current and past seasons with Angel. I think they ARE trying to figure out how it all ties together with the two leads separated, but I think the eps have maintained their wit and charm.

I don't know if the writers have changed per se, but Jane Espenson of Buffy and Angel fame joined the crew this year. A good thing IMO.

11. Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes Second Unit

I think this weeks show was very weak. They are struggling to cut the cord with Rory and Lorelai storylines, they need to let them both develop in there own worlds.

I would like to see them develop the Luke and Lorelai relationship in ernest, to see more of Lanie and to see more of Richard and Emily.

The dynamic of the town has taken a backseat, Kirk has been pretty much absent as has been the town guitarist and there has been minimal effort to bring in an intriguing new character, the Paris/Older Man scenario is also ill conceived.

I think the show is very much in trouble and needs some open heart surgery to avoid next season from being The End.

The return of Jess is a very bad sign for the future.

12. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Honestly, I think season 3 was when the show was really losing steam. This season started with a breath of fresh air, and I think that while it's slightly dipping, I'm sure it can recover.

Nothing can match the perfect charm of season 1.

13. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

I think it still has much of its charm, as this week's episode proved. It had some great moments between most of the characters, Luke and Lorelai were as fun as they've always been, and the bit with the bell was priceless. Not to mention the new Lane storyline has me very intersted. This season is much better than last with the dull Jess.

14. Lew Crippen

True it is only a short drive, but most who are off to college don’t go back home and hang out at the local coffee shop with Mom and her (almost) boyfriend).

Early on, the writers tried a couple of phone conservations between Rory and Lorelei, but they lacked the sizzle that their face-to-face conservations provide.