What's new

Gilmore Girls - 02/25/03 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Finally watched Gilmore Girls last night via ReplayTV.

I thought this was one of the better episodes of the season:

Sookie's pregnant (just when I thought Melissa McCarthy was losing weight too), and Jackson's gone into Mr. Hyper Fiscal mode.

Lorelai bumped into Max and sparks are still flying.

Rory and Paris get set up to give a speech together (much to their disgust), but Paris ends up showing up at Rory's house and confesses that she and her beau did the deed. Lorelai walks in unbeknowst to Rory and Paris, and hears that Rory is still virginal, which pleases Lorelai to no end.

Paris gets the awful news of not getting into Harvard, and shows up for the televised speech in a daze and then go off about this turn of events. The speech is cut short, and Rory provides emotional support for Paris, and they seem to even make up w/r/t their rift caused mainly by Francie.

Oh, and Rory appears to have gotten into 3 (prestigious) colleges, we have to assume she also got into Harvard by the big envelope she got (after Kirk finally managed to deliver the mail).

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
First Lorelai, now Paris has learned the harsh lesson that if you have sex in high school, you won't be able to go to Harvard. Happily, Rory is still a virgin, so she gets to go. Or did I misinterpret the lesson the writers and producers of GG are trying to teach America's female youth? ;)

Seriously, I liked Paris' speech about working so hard at Chilton for four years and then missing out on her dream. What a perfect topic for a nationally televised bi-centennial celebration. :laugh:

Rory receiving all three college acceptance letters simultaneously was one of those "only on TV moments". Remembering back, I was accepted at three different schools too, but the notifications came weeks apart.

Funny how the ex, Max, gets so much more screen time than the supposed current, Alex. After three seasons of Lorelai looking for a guy, how come when she finally gets one, we hardly ever see him and he is rarely spoken of? Weird.

Rob

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Is anyone else perturbed with the way the WB has been blatantly mis-represetning the shows lately? For instance how all of the commercials for this episode showed Rory and Paris supposedly discussing Rory's first time and then Loralai being upset that it wasn't her?

The route the story went was much better, but I hate being lied to like that.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Is anyone else perturbed with the way the WB has been blatantly mis-represetning the shows lately? For instance how all of the commercials for this episode showed Rory and Paris supposedly discussing Rory's first time and then Loralai being upset that it wasn't her?
That's exactly what has had me fuming all day. The WB's promos weren't ambiguous in the least, they were outright fabrications. They're even worse than NBC's famously misleading promos for "E.R." and "Frazier."

On to the college admissions storyline, I think they're setting things up perfectly to keep Paris around next season. Here are my predictions:

Harvard is too far away for Rory to go to and still live at home in Star's Hollow, so she'll end up at Yale. Paris didn't get into Harvard, so somehow she'll end up at Yale, too.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, it was the last sweeps episode, so the marketing department pulled out all the stops and pull the rug out from under any of the fans who did see the commercial for this episode. I sort of like being mis-directed because the payoff was fine by me. What's the point in thinking you'll find out of Rory had been with Jess, and then the episode confirms it?

I'll bet no one had any idea that it was Paris that would be revealed as being the one losing her virginity and having to deal with the aftermath, and compound that with her non-acceptance into Harvard, and watching how compassionate Rory was towards an obviously hurting Paris. This was a solid episode, regardless of the marketing sleight of hand/misdirection.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I like it. If the alternatives are a promo which summarizes the episode and one which is deceptive - lie to me, baby. :)

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
Definitely a thumbs up episode. It had me laughing out loud in places and was sweet and touching, too. This is what I have felt has been lacking all season and I was relieved to see such a solid effort again. I also *loved* all the veiled and not so veiled "Into the Woods" references, both musical and otherwise. Good stuff. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Deborah

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
The promo didn't have to summarize the plot to get my attention. Just look at the excellent ads last week for 'Smallville.' They told us that Reeve would be on and that was all. We didn't know who he was or anything.

For Gilmore they could have easily hinted at the fact that Rory might be having THE talk with Paris, but they specifically said one thing would happen, altered dialogue to that effect, and it didn't. That was just frustrating.

A few weeks ago they were advertising an 'Everwood' with a plot point that didn't even happen until two weeks late, mixing it with things that did happen so it was evident it wasn't a mistake.

Don't get me wrong, the plot with Paris was MUCH better than what they were advertising, but it still can't help you from screaming fraud.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, I thought Paris' boyfriend dumped her after they did the deed, and that's what was causing Paris to be catatonic. So when it's revealed that Harvard bounced her, her devastation was 2-fold. If any of this was revealed in the commercials, I'd be more miffed.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Misleading promos are nothing new to Gilmore Girls, they've been doing it since season one. I just sit back and wait for the episode itself without putting much stock in what they're teasing for next week.

I agree with Ken about Rory and Paris ending up at Yale.

Rob

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I knew we'd eventually hear it on primetime tv... But I never thought I'd hear it on gilmore girls, but someone actually called something they didn't like "gay."

Anyone else disgusted with that commment? Amy Sherman-Palladino should be ashamed of herself. I found the remark to be rather offensive. It's bad enough people say it every single day to describe what is deemed "bad" but do we need to hear it on this show?

anyone else catch this on 3.15 - Face Off
???

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
When was that Robert? When did they say it?

Pesonally, I could care less. I say things are gay and when tv does it, it only makes it more realistic--as in the speils Lora Lei goes off on using alot of pop culture references..

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
It wasn't in this weeks episode. It was last week.

One of Lane's band members said it in reference to a song he didn't want to play.

I found it rather offensive, and out of what the show is about. I think saying that in general is wrong period, it's just as offensive to me as if someone were to use the n word. I don't think Gilmore Girls should stoop to popular slang to seem realistic. Considering how crappy the show has become by abandoning realistic plots and situations, it's completely stupid to try to "real" things up by having characters talk that way.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Oh... I guess I sort of took that like the constant use of the term in Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back... Half of the point of using the term is to show what twerps the people using it are.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yes, just because the word "gay" in uttered, it's in the context that matters, and in this case, it says more about the character than the word "gay" connotes about whatever is being described at the moment. Not a big deal in my eyes/ears.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I suppose I agree. The guys always were set up to be pretty big morons. If Lane/Rory/Jess/Paris/Dean were to have uttered the phrase, it'd have been something different.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks