Gilligan's Island Season 2

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mark Lx, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Mark Lx

Mark Lx Second Unit

Couldn't find the old thread.
    So, this is out today, right? Any word on how many commentaries, and by whom? I was wondering if Bob Denver was involved.

2. Joe*R

Joe*R Stunt Coordinator

The set has a season introduction from Russell Johnson and Creator/Producer Sherwood Schwartz. There is also commentary on "The Little Dictator" episode #3 by Schwartz. That is all that I can tell as far as features go and no, I don't see Bob Denver doing any commentary, which would have been fantastic. I'll be picking this one up definitely.

3. DeanC

DeanC Stunt Coordinator

Just picked it up for a measely 25 Canadian.

Excellent its all in colour.
    It has a Season Intro by The Prof Russell Johnson and Sherwood Schwartz.

Sherman does commentary only in one episode Disc 1 Side A Ep 3.

I enjoyed the episode where they had a BAND called the Mosquitoes. Side B Disc 1 episode 12 and the castaways using a weird looking Phonograph to play the Mosquitoes record album they left behind for them.
    So they do have some kind of instruments to use on the island. Maybe they were on the ship they used.
    And the episode where we see Gilligan's tooth as a radio

Just finished watching the first Disc both sides.

What's your comments on this both seasons being double sided DVD's?

Wonder when season 3 and the 3 special episodes they did after the series is over.

4. RichardLoomis

Thanks for the specs, DeanC. I had a quick look, and couldn't find them. I'm on the fence over this one. I got the first set for free (as review discs), and found myself really enjoying them.

It will be nice to see the colour episodes. Shame that it is light-on extras (the first set only had a few, but I thought they were quality - the unaired pilot with commentary would have been enough for me).

These two seasons were released almost a year apart, which doesn't bode well for us seeing GI 3 anytime soon. My guess is late 2005 at the earliest, but you never know. Warner seems to be amping up their TV on DVD releases this year...

5. Jeff*H

Jeff*H Supporting Actor

Jeff
    Loved this show as a kid--I must have seen every episode half a dozen times or more over the years!

The color episodes in this new set look amazing! They never looked this good in the old grainy tv reruns, so I'm guessing they have been remastered. They also seem to be completely uncut, given the run time. Even when I watched them on TV in the late 70s/early 80s, I remember them being chopped for syndication, so this is the first time I have seen them in their complete form!

Watching these episodes again is like stepping into a time machine--bring on season 3 soon, Warner Bros., and please try to include more participation from Bob Denver and the other actors, if possible. I think I speak for fans everywhere when I say we would love to see them again!

6. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    I'm still waiting for my set to arrive, but I'm glad to hear the positive reports.

This was always my "comfort food" of TV. I know it's not the best written show ever and that many consider it to be drivel, but I still enjoy watching it. The acting, especially from Jim Backus and Alan Hale Jr., is really quite good and it was obvious they had fun making this.

Steve

7. Scott Hamilton

Scott Hamilton Stunt Coordinator

Just checked Amazon it is #25 on the DVD sales chart.

Hope WB releases season 3 soon.

8. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

Last night I watched the first episode of the set "Giiligan's Mother-In-Law" and was quite impressed! The color was so vivid, it could have been filmed yesterday instead of the summer of 1965 (and mind you, I had just been born when this episode was filmed!). And yes, I still laughed in several places in the story. To paraphrase Russell "The Professor" Johnson- "Everyone but the public hated us". It's nice that this release proves that the public was right. Congrats to Warner Bros. Home Video for its great remastering job, and let's get Season Three out by December, if not sooner!

PS- I do hope for more extras for Season Three, like interviews with Dawn Wells, Bob Denver and the somewhat hostile (in regards to her feelings about her "Gilligan" days) Tina Louise. Also, what about the color home movies that Dawn Wells shot on the set? And let's also add vintage interviews from the deceased actors, network promos, and more episode commentaries!

9. Casey Neutron

Casey Neutron Stunt Coordinator

I was a little worried when I first got this set. I thought Warner shorted us an episode. In fact, I'm still not so sure.

The episode in question is UP AT BAT (the one where Gilligan gets bit by a bat and dreams he's a vampire in Transylvania).

TV Guide's episode guide lists 33 episodes for season 2, the season finale being UP AT BAT. It says the episode aired May 5, 1966, just one week after MEET THE METEOR, which is the last episode in this set. Other sources (gilligansisle.com, for example) confirm that the UP AT BAT episode was the season 2 finale.

However, tvtome.com shows the episode as the season 3 premiere, claiming it aired September 12, 1966.

Anyway, I don't want to start a panic among Gilligan fans. I'm sure Warner Bros. knows what it's doing and is planning on releasing UP AT BAT as the first episode on the season 3 set. Fingers crossed.

10. Joseph Miller

Joseph Miller Stunt Coordinator

Remastered -- uncut. I should hope so!

That's really all I ask from Season Sets -- show us the best possible print -- show them complete. Extras are nice -- but if they screw up my two major requirements, all the extras in the world won't matter to me.

By the way -- these shows not only look better than they looked in syndication -- they look better than they looked ORIGINALLY!

"The Mary Tyler Moore Show" DVD was a revelation to me. I watched it first run in the '70s -- it NEVER looked as sharp and colorful as it looks on the DVD. It's amazing -- and makes the show even more enjoyable than it already is.

11. Charles Ellis

I'm sure that Warner Bros. wouldn't dare leave an episode out. Besides, at the time of Season One's release, a Warner spokesman admitted that Gilligan's Island was one of the most popular titles in the Warner TV library. It's kind of like Paramount omitting a Star Trek episode from a season set. And I'm betting that fans have already contacted WB regarding this issue!

12. Jeff*H

Jeff*H Supporting Actor

Jeff

I have noticed with other shows in several instances where an episode was filmed in one season, but didn't air until the next season, for whatever reason. I believe "Voyager" and "Simpsons" have both done this, and numerous others, too. Perhaps this was the case with "Up at Bat". Plus, it makes more sense that a Halloween-themed episode such as this would air in the fall.

I have faith it will be in Season 3, otherwise WB has a lot of explaining to do, given that they call these sets "Complete".

My question regarding season 3 is this: I remember that those episodes started with a teaser of a few minutes, then proceeded to the opening credits. However, lately in syndication (on TV Land and TBS), the opening teaser appears AFTER the opening credits. This way is not correct, even though it makes the show consistent with the first 2 seasons. Hopefully WB will do it correctly when they release it!

13. Keith Yates

Keith Yates Auditioning

The book, "Here On Gilligan's Isle" says that 'Up at Bat" was the "third-season opener" on page #218. However, "The Unofficial Gilligan's Island Handbook" says the episode was the last show for season two. And, "TV Treasures- A Companion Guide to Gilligan's Island" also says the episode was the last for season two and was first broadcast on May 5, 1966.

14. Chris:L

Chris:L Supporting Actor

This is very confusing. I have a jipped set?

15. Phil.Br

Phil.Br Auditioning

My question regarding season 3 is this: I remember that those episodes started with a teaser of a few minutes, then proceeded to the opening credits. However, lately in syndication (on TV Land and TBS), the opening teaser appears AFTER the opening credits.

Apparently the second half of the produced shows of the third season were teaser / opening credits / remainder of the episode.
    I too hope they have these episodes as originally shown but if they are as good as the previous sets I'll put up with it.
    There is a lot of conjecture over "Up At Bat". The Professor's home page has it as the opener for season 3 so who else would know. [​IMG]

16. DeanC

DeanC Stunt Coordinator

Just a question.

When did they add the Professor and Mary Anne to the theme song.

B4 I remembered they only sang and the rest, after they sang The Millionare and his wife, the movie star, then they just added and the rest?

That was so weird I have seen all and the Prof and Maryanne were there all along.

As to Up at Bat. I have been told that episode is indeed season 3.

What I am hoping for are the 2 special rescue from Gilligan's and also the Harlem Globtrotters episode.

17. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

The theme song started to include them in Season Two. So if you see a color episode, the song says "...the Professor and Mary Ann..." [​IMG]

18. Charles Ellis

As to the TV movie sequels: Rescue From Gilligan's Island (1978) is a public domain title and is readily available on DVD from a number of sources, ranging in price from $1.00 to $6.99.

The latter films have yet to be released, and I've no idea who owns them. As I remember, there was one between Rescue and Globetrotters. Rescue is OK, but it would've been a perfect sequel like Return To Mayberry if only Tina Louise had agreed to reprise her role as Ginger.

19. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

The one between Rescue and Harlem Globetrotters is called The Castaways On Gilligan's Island

20. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Having watched several episodes of season 2 on DVD I concur that the colors are amazing especially compared to the faded syndicated prints that I remember watching. Well done Warners!

Sherwood Schwartz in his commentary makes reference to his looking forward to speaking to the viewer in a season 3 set so it's looking good that the complete Gilligan canon (sorry, had to say that) will be available on DVD. (I consider the later movies to be non-canon.)

Two very minor nitpicks: still no chapter stop after the opening credits plus the theme song that loops during the menu is the S1 version ("and the rest" as opposed to "the Professor and Mary Ann").

Steve