Gilligan's Island - Season 2 - video quality: WOW!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Dave H, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I finally got around to purchasing Season 2 last weekend and have watched about 10 episodes so far.

While Season 1 in black and white looked outstanding, Season 2 being in color is phenomenal. I cannot believe how good this looks. The colors just pop out of the screen. In addition, the detail and picture definition is like something I have never seen before. All of the years watching these on TV make this DVD unlike anything before. Grant you, there is a little dirt here and there, but overall, these are outstanding looking...FAR, FAR better than I would have ever expected.

2. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    It's just too bad Season 1 of this show was B&W. A light-hearted comedy set on a tropical island really needs color. It's not like Casablanca or some film noir.

Years ago when I would watch this on syndication I'd hate it when they were showing the B&W ones.

3. Mark Lx

Mark Lx Second Unit

I haven't picked up season 2 yet. I don't mind the black and white, though color is better. I hated the fact that reruns were colorized. As a kid, I just thought the B&W episodes were older ones (which of course, they were).

4. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Season 1 in color would have been nice. But, I do think the writing/script was better for season 1. But, I finally got to see one of my very favorite episodes with Season 2 -- with the "mad" doctor. Classic episode!

5. Greg_P

Greg_P Stunt Coordinator

The "mad doctor" one is classic! He re-appears again in season 3. Can't wait to see that one again too!!

6. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Do they wind back up at the castle in the season 3 episode?

7. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Screenwriter

No, he comes to the Island with hypnotizing rings and puts them on all the castaways one by one. Then he rehearses all of them to get ready to rob Fort Knox.

8. Greg_P

Greg_P Stunt Coordinator

Yep, what Carlos said [​IMG] ! I also seem to remember they were building a raft, and the "mad doctor" kept making them destroy it. Ahhh, they don't write them like that anymore [​IMG] !

I've hooked my 2 girls on this show. They love it. I even went out to Dawn Wells website and got them an personalized autographed picture. They were thrilled to say the least!

Bring on Season 3!

9. DeanC

DeanC Stunt Coordinator

What do you think of the Discs themselves. Double sided. Easy to get scratched etc.....

For the final season make them single sided more discs what do you think.

I also would like the 3 specials added to them.

10. Geo Gabor

Geo Gabor Stunt Coordinator

Taste is a personal thing, but I thought this was one of the weakest episodes. Whenever I watch it, I can't help but think "So this is what it's like to watch 'Those Darned Amigos.'"

No offense! [​IMG]