What's new

Gilligan's Island s3- Should;ve shown a Rescue (1 Viewer)

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
AFter watching Season 3 on DVD. The 3rd disc since the other 2 sets had all 3sides used. They should ve had the Rescue from Gilligan's Island, as the added bonus on the flip of disc 3.

A series going on dvd shouldn't end this way with just a regular episode with no way of getting off the Island.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I think Rescue From Gilligan's Island somehow slipped into the public domain- you can find it at dollar stores now.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy has the Rescue from Gilligan's Island for around $5.99. It's one of their bargain priced DVD's. I believe it's still available through their website and through some of their stores as well.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
I agree that "Rescue from Gilligan's Island" should've been included on the 3rd disc of the season 3 set. The public domain version of this movie looks HIDEOUS, colors are awful, scenes are cutout badly...just a total mess...The film definitely needs to be restored, and should've been done as part of the season 3 set.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I respectfully disagree.

Leave "Rescue" and the other reunion movies off the season sets. They don't feature the entire original cast and were not part of the original series. They also have certain continuity issues which make them non-canonical; not that "Gilligan" and "canon" belong in the same sentence. :) Where did Thurston IV come from??

If whoever the rights holder is for these shows wants to package them as a set, that would be great. However I view them as a separate entity altogether.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They didn't know they were going to be cancelled. The story I have heard is that, for the 1967-1968 CBS fall season, Gilligan's Island and some other show (I think it was It's About Time) were to be renewed, but Gunsmoke was not. However, Mrs. William S. Paley was a fan of Gunsmoke, and everyone at the network hated GI, so the two sitcoms went, and Gunsmoke stayed.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
You're mostly right. The show that was scheduled to run behind Gilligan's Island was a failed pilot. As a result, when CBS was looking for room for Gunsmoke, that show
stood out like a sore thunm. The show was cancelled and Gilligan was cancelled because it was before it. The show
was a constant source of embarrassment to William Paley at
his cocktail parties with his snobby partygoers.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

And I respectfully disagree with you.

By your logic, Carl Reiner and Co. should have left the original pilot episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show (then entitled Head Of The Family) off of the season sets, because it isn't canonical. But it has a definite connection to the show, so it was thankfully included as an extra.

I would see nothing wrong in including "Rescue From Gilligan's Island" with the 3rd season set as as extra...especially since it's got all the original cast members save Tina Louise, which ain't bad for a reunion film. Not that it really matters now, of course, as the set has already been released without it.

The one hilarious goof that gets me about "Rescue From Gilligan's Island":

At the end of the film, Gilligan finds a piece of the old boat, which is inscribed with "MINNOW I". Now what's wrong with this picture?

The one I'm REALLY waiting for is the all-time classic reunion film, "The Harlem Globetrotters On Gilligan's Island". I'd like to have a long surreal discussion with the person responsible for greenlighting that project.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Thanks for the comments.

One thing I am so shocked is, the person who actually said the show is boring or didn't like it. GI is one series I will always go back to watching. The show is so comical, so good to watch all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks