What's new

GILLIGAN'S ISLAND - DVD SEASON & SERIES SETS (2004-2012) - Pros, Cons, Incongruities & Imponderables (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Yep - what Tony said. The original releases were on 3 discs/season with the original "complete series" set being on 9 discs. Going by memory it was 3 DS discs each for S1 and S2 with 2 DS and a SS for S3.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yep - what Tony said. The original releases were on 3 discs/season with the original "complete series" set being on 9 discs. Going by memory it was 3 DS discs each for S1 and S2 with 2 DS and a SS for S3.
I only ever had Season 1 of the double sided GI releases, but your numbers do compute.

Do you recall whether that one single sided disc for Season 3 had an actual label, or was the non playing side simply left blank? Just curious.

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
It occurs to me that if GILLIGAN'S ISLAND were to ever be released on Blu-ray, the discs could be sequenced in the following manner:

Season 1 (1964-65) Black & White:
Disc 1 -
Pilot Episode
(Episodes 01 - 12)
Disc 2 -
(Episodes 13 - 24)
Disc 3
(Episodes 25 - 36)

Season 2 (1965 - 66) Color:
Disc 1 -
(Episodes 1 - 12)
Disc 2 -
(Episodes 13 - 24)
Disc 3 -
(Episodes 25 - 32)
Special Features

Season 3 (1966-67) Color:
Disc 1 -
(Episodes 1 - 12)
Disc 2 -
(Episodes 13 - 24)
Disc 3 -
(Episodes 25 - 30)
Special Features

Interestingly, this sequencing would allow for the same number of Blu-ray discs as the original mid 2000s double sided DVD discs release!

Ideally, the last discs on the Season 2 and Season 3 Blu-ray sets could be filled with Special Features, subject to availability and rights issues. For me, I'd love to see restored versions of RESCUE FROM GILLIGAN'S ISLAND (1978) and THE CASTAWAYS ON GILLIGAN'S ISLAND (1980) included; with THE HARLEM GLOBETROTTERS ON GILLIGAN'S ISLAND (1981) being an extreme long shot (See what I did there? ;) ), which would likely make adding a 10th Blu-ray Disc to the set a necessity.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I only ever had Season 1 of the double sided GI releases, but your numbers do compute.

Do you recall whether that one single sided disc for Season 3 had an actual label, or was the non playing side simply left blank? Just curious.

You *really* had to ask, didn't you! ;)

No, not off hand (and why I didn't say in that post). I'm not real sure where I have that set stored so don't know if I can come up with an answer "easily." If they're where I think they are I'll know shortly after I get home from work (4ish) and will update.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Tony, that would be an excellent Blu-ray set. While I'd love more special features, getting the 3 reunion movies restored would at least get us everything (as poor as they were).

Really want to view this classic in HD, but right now, the only option I can find is $25 per season, or $75 total, on iTunes. Yikes. All 11 seasons of Cheers in HD are only about $30 total. Maybe it will come down in an iTunes sale one day.

MartinP.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Martin
^^^

Tony,

I'm just speaking for the double sided release for Season 3 I have...
No, it did not have a label, the non-playing side is just blank.

However, the packaging indicates there IS a Disc 3 / Side B with the
documentary: Gilligan's Island: A Pop Culture Phenomenon.

In reality, that documentary is included on the Disc 3 / Side A side of the disc.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tony, that would be an excellent Blu-ray set. While I'd love more special features, getting the 3 reunion movies restored would at least get us everything (as poor as they were).

Really want to view this classic in HD, but right now, the only option I can find is $25 per season, or $75 total, on iTunes. Yikes. All 11 seasons of Cheers in HD are only about $30 total. Maybe it will come down in an iTunes sale one day.
That does seem pricey for a digital only option. I guess we can take comfort in that at least the DVD transfers look about as good as can be expected, and they aren't overly compressed, either. Insofar as the errors relating to the openings and closings, they too aren't of the overtly glaringly obvious even to casual viewers variety, and missing snippets from within the episodes themselves consist solely of a 7 second stretch from "It's A Bird, It's A Plane!" (The very last GI episode filmed!) correct?

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I was watching GI on meTV this past weekend and I noticed that Dawn Wells was in the top left corner during the theme song intro when they sing, "the Professor and Mary Ann." . I always remembered her being in the bottom right corner which makes more sense to me if you're reading left to right. How did this happen? When did it switch, or was it always rotated back and forth?

1609952001718.png

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Dawn Wells in the top left corner is the season 3 intro.

Edit: Which looking back at recent posts, contradicts post 103. So perhaps I'm wrong, but that was my understanding. And MeTV appears to be airing season 3 at the moment.

Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
It occurs to me that if GILLIGAN'S ISLAND were to ever be released on Blu-ray, the discs could be sequenced in the following manner:

Season 1 (1964-65) Black & White:
Disc 1 -
Pilot Episode
(Episodes 01 - 12)
Disc 2 -
(Episodes 13 - 24)
Disc 3
(Episodes 25 - 36)

Season 2 (1965 - 66) Color:
Disc 1 -
(Episodes 1 - 12)
Disc 2 -
(Episodes 13 - 24)
Disc 3 -
(Episodes 25 - 32)
Special Features

Season 3 (1966-67) Color:
Disc 1 -
(Episodes 1 - 12)
Disc 2 -
(Episodes 13 - 24)
Disc 3 -
(Episodes 25 - 30)
Special Features

Interestingly, this sequencing would allow for the same number of Blu-ray discs as the original mid 2000s double sided DVD discs release!

Ideally, the last discs on the Season 2 and Season 3 Blu-ray sets could be filled with Special Features, subject to availability and rights issues. For me, I'd love to see restored versions of RESCUE FROM GILLIGAN'S ISLAND (1978) and THE CASTAWAYS ON GILLIGAN'S ISLAND (1980) included; with THE HARLEM GLOBETROTTERS ON GILLIGAN'S ISLAND (1981) being an extreme long shot (See what I did there? ;) ), which would likely make adding a 10th Blu-ray Disc to the set a necessity.

If your doing an extra disc, why not add Surviving Gilligan’s Island?

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Also what's interesting about the billing is the placement of their names. In this image below, Russel Johnson's picture may be first at the top, and Dawn Wells' picture is at the bottom but her name is higher up than Russell's name in order to give them some kind of equal billing (Laverne and Shirley did a similar thing in their intro with Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams).
1609994474508.png

However, in this picture below, Dawn Wells picture AND name are both higher than Russell's name and pic suggesting they are not equal.
1609994800276.png

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Also what's interesting about the billing is the placement of their names. In this image below, Russel Johnson's picture may be first at the top, and Dawn Wells' picture is at the bottom but her name is higher up than Russell's name in order to give them some kind of equal billing (Laverne and Shirley did a similar thing in their intro with Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams).
View attachment 85497

However, in this picture below, Dawn Wells picture AND name are both higher than Russell's name and pic suggesting they are not equal.
View attachment 85498
I don't know the seasons well enough to know which picture came from which season. So this is just a theory.

But is it possible the 'equal' billing picture/name came from the season where they were "and the rest", and the 'uneven' billing came from when they were "the Professor and Mary Ann" (so the song offset the picture/name order).

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't know the seasons well enough to know which picture came from which season. So this is just a theory.

But is it possible the 'equal' billing picture/name came from the season where they were "and the rest", and the 'uneven' billing came from when they were "the Professor and Mary Ann" (so the song offset the picture/name order).

No.

They weren't even pictured or included in the opening credits in season 1, when it was "And The Rest". They didn't appear in the opening credits until season 2, when the theme was redone.

Robbie^Blackmon

Stunt Coordinator
Dawn Wells in the top left corner is the season 3 intro.

Edit: Which looking back at recent posts, contradicts post 103. So perhaps I'm wrong, but that was my understanding. And MeTV appears to be airing season 3 at the moment.
Not always, as in the case of "Take a Dare", as seen from my 1967 network 16mm print (also the source of the third season theme audio from earlier in the thread):
IMG-0745.jpg

IMG-0747.jpg

Sometimes the Wells/Johnson credit was flop-flipped, and other visuals, like a zoom-in on the Minnow vs. no zoom, a still shot of the Minnow and so forth, would change from episode to episode. And, as was mentioned before, the intro titles sometimes came after a live action show opener that may or may not have the show title superimposed to begin with.

For "Take a Dare", the show opens with no title, Sherwood Schwartz' credit, live action and then the show's theme.
IMG-0749.jpg

Sorry about the crappy pics. The ol' film scanner departed years ago.

Last edited:

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator
I believe the reunion movies were all done at Universal and are not controlled by Warner Brothers, making them unlikely to appear on any series release.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I believe the reunion movies were all done at Universal and are not controlled by Warner Brothers, making them unlikely to appear on any series release.

About a year ago (almost exactly) Warner and Universal entered into a deal to combine their physical media releases.

On edit: That should be "combine their physical media release distribution"

So, it's actually not unlikely that Warner would be able to include the sequel TVMs with a series release.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I'm not sure whether Warner Archive would be releasing any Universal titles on discas such (though they did release some Paramount ones on DVD/DVD-R when they were distributing for Paramount). My point about the Warner/Universal deal was that Warner would likely to be able to get Universal to agree to let them include the TVMs in a hypothetical upgraded Complete Collection set (whether DVD or BD). Just as they'd gotten MGM to let them include Mad Max and The Terminator in their box sets of those franchises. Or even getting MGM and Columbia to allow them to use those respective studios' Kubrick catalog titles in a Warner-released box set.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Also Ted Danson and Shelley Long on Cheers. When Kirstie Alley joined the cast the two stars' names were separated.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
My point about the Warner/Universal deal was that Warner would likely to be able to get Universal to agree to let them include the TVMs in a hypothetical upgraded Complete Collection set (whether DVD or BD). Just as they'd gotten MGM to let them include Mad Max and The Terminator in their box sets of those franchises. Or even getting MGM and Columbia to allow them to use those respective studios' Kubrick catalog titles in a Warner-released box set.

Another case is the Nolan 4Kbluray collection released in 2017, which included The Prestige.

IIRC, The Prestige was originally released on dvd/bluray by Disney back in 2007 in america. Though overseas outside of region1/A, Warner released the non-american dvd/bluray version in 2007.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ofyclinic
Recent bookmarks