What's new

GILLIGAN'S ISLAND - DVD SEASON & SERIES SETS (2004-2012) - Pros, Cons, Incongruities & Imponderables (1 Viewer)

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
Won't be getting over today's sad news for a long while, if ever. Not a good day and not a good year.

Looking back on this thread I see that, due to technical difficulties, the Season 3 theme disappeared from my Youtube and post from a while back. I have re-posted it for all 2 of you who probably don't want to see it again, but the audio is not on dvd or streaming so.. why not?

Remember the good ol' days!

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Ironic to me at least that Tina Louise is the only cast member remaining. It's just a little mind-boggling considering she was the one that tried her hardest to distance herself from Gilligan's Island and her role as Ginger. We all know that, just like we all know she basically refused to have anything to do with the show after it was canceled in 1967. She didn't do any of the reunion movies, but showed up infrequently to other reunion specials.

Just a little ironic, isn't it?

1609423913502.png

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I met Dawn twice, and both times she was just as lovely as one would hope she would be. She wrote my mom's name in her little book of unique names. Just a wonderful human being.
An old high school friend of mine posted her meeting Dawn Wells on her Facebook page just after learning of her passing. Her experience mirrored yours, as I'm sure it did for so many others who were fortunate enough to meet her. They bonded over a shared love for cats.

Now, I wish I could have got to meet the lovely Dawn Wells! May she Rest in Peace!! :emoji_sweat::emoji_broken_heart:

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Met Dawn Wells, and was fortunate to get a picture of her with my son my when he was around 13. He loved the show as a kid. It was a pleasure meeting her and talking with her. Would love to rebuy the whole series on Blu-ray someday. It should look fantastic.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Met Dawn Wells, and was fortunate to get a picture of her with my son my when he was around 13. He loved the show as a kid. It was a pleasure meeting her and talking with her. Would love to rebuy the whole series on Blu-ray someday. It should look fantastic.
This would arguably be a no-brainer for WB as they probably rescanned the negatives/ CRI's for the widescreen versions that are appearing on MeTV etc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ironic to me at least that Tina Louise is the only cast member remaining. It's just a little mind-boggling considering she was the one that tried her hardest to distance herself from Gilligan's Island and her role as Ginger. We all know that, just like we all know she basically refused to have anything to do with the show after it was canceled in 1967. She didn't do any of the reunion movies, but showed up infrequently to other reunion specials.

Just a little ironic, isn't it?

She was just so much different in real life than the character she was on the show. It wasn't until I became an adult that I realize how beautiful and accomplished actress, Tina Louise was early in her acting career.

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
The 1080p streaming versions certainly look nice and are in the original aspect ratio, and show slightly more picture information in the frame than the dvd versions. I made my own Bd-r set using those. Only thing is the opening credits for Season 2 & 3 looks like they have been over-scrubbed with dvnr and are not as detailed in some shots as the show, proper. I could guess these intros were cleaned up to get rid of all the printed-in dirt from the overlay titles and optical processing.

Also, as mentioned way back, the Season 3 theme was omitted, as is the norm, and replaced with the Season 2 version.

All episodes feature English subtitles, switchable on or off as necessary.

Some interesting mastering issues also crop up from time to time. For instances:

It's not supposed to be night time in this shot from Season 1, Episode 33, "It's Magic"
Episode-33-It-s-Magic-mkv-snapshot-02-24-2021-01-01-13-34-17.jpg

And, only the Amazon version of Season 3, Episode 10, "Topsy Turvy" has a moment of b&w (may have been fixed by now?) whereas the Itunes version didn't have the error
Gilligans-Island-S03-E10-Topsy-Turvy-1080p-AMZN-WEB-DL-DDP2-0-H-264-NTb-mkv-snapshot-03-45-2021-01-0.jpg

The now-not-lost Pilot has yet to surface as a 1080p (or otherwise) scan. Streaming collections that feature it use a 720p sourced file same as the dvd version and usually includes the commentary as well as subtitles.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The 1080p streaming versions certainly look nice and are in the original aspect ratio, and show slightly more picture information in the frame than the dvd versions. I made my own Bd-r set using those. Only thing is the opening credits for Season 2 & 3 looks like they have been over-scrubbed with dvnr and are not as detailed in some shots as the show, proper. I could guess these intros were cleaned up to get rid of all the printed-in dirt from the overlay titles and optical processing.

Also, as mentioned way back, the Season 3 theme was omitted, as is the norm, and replaced with the Season 2 version.

All episodes feature English subtitles, switchable on or off as necessary.

Some interesting mastering issues also crop up from time to time. For instances:

It's not supposed to be night time in this shot from Season 1, Episode 33, "It's Magic"
Episode-33-It-s-Magic-mkv-snapshot-02-24-2021-01-01-13-34-17.jpg

And, only the Amazon version of Season 3, Episode 10, "Topsy Turvy" has a moment of b&w (may have been fixed by now?) whereas the Itunes version didn't have the error
Gilligans-Island-S03-E10-Topsy-Turvy-1080p-AMZN-WEB-DL-DDP2-0-H-264-NTb-mkv-snapshot-03-45-2021-01-0.jpg

The now-not-lost Pilot has yet to surface as a 1080p (or otherwise) scan. Streaming collections that feature it use a 720p sourced file same as the dvd version and usually includes the commentary as well as subtitles.
Regarding the first shot: Timing issues that are sometimes inherent with sourcing OCN, or at least, a film generation that is ahead of the applied light timing, I'm presuming?

How in heck did that moment of Black & White occur well into the color shooting era of this iconic TV series? The only logical explanation would be a Season 1 flashback, which this clip clearly is not.

CHEERS! :)

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
This would arguably be a no-brainer for WB as they probably rescanned the negatives/ CRI's for the widescreen versions that are appearing on MeTV etc.

Regarding the first shot: Timing issues that are sometimes inherent with sourcing OCN, or at least, a film generation that is ahead of the applied light timing, I'm presuming?

How in heck did that moment of Black & White occur well into the color shooting era of this iconic TV series? The only logical explanation would be a Season 1 flashback, which this clip clearly is not.

For the first one, maybe. Depending upon which generation of element used, filters may not have been applied-- I'm thinking of the dvd release of Wonder Woman, there, where day-for-night shots didn't get processed and were just as bright as day!

The first shot ends with a fade out which, even if present as an optical effect on the finished master negative (or print), usually gets a boost during the mastering process, since the black level may be off or not up to spec. Here, it looks like an effect was applied incorrectly that upset the exposure balance, or the software just went haywire.

The second may be just an encoding error (remember the b&w episode of MASH that went to streaming in color?) if we can presume that the show got more than a single light color correction, and was matched shot-by-shot. In that case, it may be an artifact of adjusting one color layer, the filter tick boxes weren't cleared and the full color combination got left off for that segment?

There are some "new" issues with the material, for sure. There's vertical jitter in some shots (maybe neg or print damage) that wasn't stabilized, some "breathing" of the image (contrast and brightness changes) and new scratches and blemishes here and there that don't bother me, personally (it's film after all, what can ya' expect?), but they do show just how "loved" these films are and how the source materials must've taken a beating by this time!

Things just "show" more with higher resolution. Lots of nicotine stained teeth, too! Yikers!

Last edited:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Regarding Gillian on Blu-ray, I’d buy it , but is this possible?
Well, it was made entirely on film - no video involved in its production. And I’ve never heard anything about the negatives being lost or destroyed. So I would think it’s possible.

Now whether the owners want to release it on Blu is an entirely different question.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, it was made entirely on film - no video involved in its production. And I’ve never heard anything about the negatives being lost or destroyed. So I would think it’s possible.

Now whether the owners want to release it on Blu is an entirely different question.

The show was remastered in HD long ago. The HD masters are what are used for syndication reruns, I believe. It's available for streaming in HD. Hell, WB has remastered tons of their back catalog in HD. CHiPs, The Waltons, Dukes of Hazzard, Wonder Woman, Perfect Strangers, Family Matters, you name it, if it was shot on film in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, they've cleaned it up and released it to streaming and syndication in HD. Even the 60s Hanna-Barbera shows have been cleaned up and released in HD.

But it's not likely WB sees any reason to release it on Blu unless some kind of reboot or remake happens.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The complete series set currently on Amazon has 17 discs and is dated 2011. Would that contain the double-sided discs? Or the reissued single-sided discs? Makes all the difference in the world.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The complete series set currently on Amazon has 17 discs and is dated 2011. Would that contain the double-sided discs? Or the reissued single-sided discs? Makes all the difference in the world.
Going by disc count, they're single sided discs. I have the same number of discs spread across my 3 individual Season 1-3 sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks