gilligan island cartoon or reunion movies?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by charles-h, Oct 5, 2005.

1. charles-h

charles-h Agent

hi , new here i did a search and couldnt find any news on the gilligan movies or the two cartoon series
    the new adventures and gilligans planet , will they ever be released?

2. SteveVM

SteveVM Stunt Coordinator

I would also like these

3. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Well, the first TV movie - "Rescue from Gilligan's Island" I believe is owned by Paramount, and the followups "The Castaways on Gilligan's Island" and the infamous "The Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island" are owned by Universal. The UK company that owns the Filmation library (Entertainment Assets?) likely has the two cartoon series.

Best I'm aware, WB owns the original series, and I guess the current intellectual property rights to the characters - hence TBS's creation of the "REAL GILLIGAN'S ISLAND" reality series. I don't know whether they have any say or influence on these projects that Sherwoood Schwartz did elsewhere. They may own the Filmation cartoons, as a VHS tape of "GILLIGAN'S PLANET" was released by MGM before the Turner buyout.

4. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

"Rescue from Gilligan's Island" is in the public domain and is available from numerous companies specializing in public domain material. I've even seen it on several "dollar DVDs," so it's an easy find. Unfortunately, the source material used for these releases is less than stellar and some prints have missing scenes, so buyer beware. Still, if you want one of the reunion movies, you can get it cheaply.

5. charles-h

charles-h Agent

thank you

6. charles-h

charles-h Agent

hi, does anyone know were i can get a copy of the castaways of gilligans iland and the harlem globtrotters movies?, i would just like to watch them again, thanks again

7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

They're not available on DVD (yet).

8. charles-h

charles-h Agent

thanks[​IMG]

9. Bryan Krantz

Bryan Krantz Stunt Coordinator

With the 3 season sets of "Gilligans Island" now released, and safely squirreled away in my collection, isn't it time for a re-visiting of the 3 follow-up GI films? "The Munsters" just came out with a movie edition, and the movie-followups to "The Incredible Hulk" were even released BEFORE the season sets. I already bought a very shoddily made public domain copy of "Rescue from Gilligan's Island" and the quality is as bad as can possibly imagined. They should make a restored version of all 3 (Rescue, Globetrotters, and Castaways) as an endpiece for the GI season sets. If nothing else, how about issuing some cheapie public domain dvds of the 2 later tv movies.

10. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

Within the last few years I have seen "The Harlem Globetrotters On Gilligan's Island" on one of the Starz movie channels on digital cable.

11. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

If this was indeed a Filmation production, it is quite likely the rights reverted back to the original rights-holder sometime in the '80s.

Many of the shows Filmation did that were based on "outside-owned" properties have since reverted to their original rights holders. Star Trek and all the DC Comics shows (both animated shows and the live-action Shazam) are the primary examples.

Since the animated Gilligan isn't listed among the Filmation assets on Entertainment Rights' website, and the fact of the previous VHS you mention, I'd think it's safe to say that whoever currently owns the character rights also owns the cartoons. As to why they're not out there? It might be a case of "don't know they've got them, sitting in a dusty warehouse" or a perceived lack of demand.