What's new

Gilliam does Grimm! (2 Viewers)

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Man, I just can't wait to see a finished Gilliam project again. I've always liked his work, and his visual style. This sounds interesting to me, so bring it on!

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I so cannot wait for this. Gilliam is one of my favorite directors and this should be one of his best projects. Any approximation on the release date? Late 2004? Hopefully this will be a big success and this will allow Terry to go back to Don Quixote and Good Omens.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I get the impression that none of you people has any real familiarity with Grimms' Fairy Tales in the original, un-Bowlderized form, not what most English-speaking audiences have grown up with.
Was Cinderella one of the Grimm stories?
I remember one time I made a joke, comparing editing a report to "the sisters cutting off their heels and toes". My flatmate never understood what I was talking about, she had no idea that was in the story. After that, I asked around. I think I found two people who actually knew the real story. I was appalled.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Hey, thanks Rex! I'll be sure to check back there periodically.
I'm as psyched for this movie as I could possibly be. :) Were I forced to name my #1 favorite director...I'd say Terry Gilliam.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
IOW, the "Brothers Grimm" movie has name only to do with the Grimm's Fairytales - which, incidentally, I read in German first. Thye are a bloody, gory mess, perfectly set to frighten people into doing the "right" thing.

The later versions definitely do not keep that up. See "Aschenputtel" vs "Cinderella" for a nice example; there are plenty of others.

If anyone were tempted to make one of those stories into a movie, good luck; somehow I don't see the general moviegoer seeing the original "Aschenputtel" - together with the self-mutilating heels and toes - versus, say, the saccharine-sweet Cinderella...

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Are there any English translations online of these original versions of the Grimm tales? They should be public domain, right?

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I think Gilliam should be doing an adaptation of the comic book smash "Fables."

(/plug)

ciao,

Phil

PS Worst...photoshop...ever on that Dreams site. Very obvious fake of the Brothers from the movie. Still, can't wait. Great stuff. Hope he finishes it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks