What's new

Gillette Mach 3 Turbo (1 Viewer)

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
I use the Mach3, have been for a while now.
I used to shave this way, switched to an electric. The electric gave me terrible "bumps" after a while, a lot more trouble than it is worth, and no fun if the electric's screen happens to have a small hole. :thumbsdown:
Hot water with plain soap, shave, wash down, then w/o soap take care of any missed areas. Then go take shower. That's about it. IF the skin gets irritated, a bit of balm. Pretty rare.
I've cut myself a few times, but all of them were because I held the razor at the wrong angle to the skin, and/or an old razor. When it cuts, it cuts good... not fun. I dislike those cuts.
But I'd never go back to electric except as a backup.
Mike

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
A good rule of thumb to get a better shave and less razor drag is to use warm water and not hot water. Hot water causes the blood vessels in the skin to open.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I use a good ol' straight razor. Works great and it doesn't hardly dull. Very cost effective too.

I don't understand why those products like Mach 3 are so expensive, they must be making a killing on um. I bet it costs them about 5 cents to make one blade.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I agree they're a total rip off, they don't cost any more to make than any other razor I'm sure. Probably all goes to packaging and advirtising

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Got the Mach III Turbo on May 1st. It gives a closer and faster shave than even the Mach III. I still use two blades and can do the whole face in under 3 minutes, including the gel. I will still get nicks no matter what I use to shave with. Comes with the territory.

Great blade, I will buy some more.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I tried these, they are too thick for me to use on the upper part of my goatee. I didn't notice anything that much better everywhere else also. ELectrics cant even do the job on my tough beard, I use the Gilette Custom Plus w/lubrastrip. They work well but wear out fast on my mug.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Hello...who says a woman HAS to use a pastel razor marketed for women? I "borrowed" a friend's Mach3 razor last year and have been smooth-as-silk ever since.
Well worth the price!
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you /had/ to use them - that's exactly my point! My wife just uses the Mach3, and tells her friends to do the same ;)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Always love resurrecting an ancient thread. :D
I never picked up one of these Mach 3 Turbos, but Gillette is making a marketing pushing and mailing them out to all households, at least in my area. Well, I started using it this week and have to say I was thoroughly underwhelmed. Seems like it takes 50% longer to shave than with my regular razors, the Schick Xtreme III. And I don't feel like I've gotten a closer shave with the Mach 3. If it was just based on the quality of the shave, I'd stick with the Shicks, but the price premium placed on the Mach 3's makes it a no brainer. :thumbsdown:

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, younger brothers can be such a pain inhe ass sometimes
:laugh:
Seriously, how many people reuse the blades? I never do and even the 4 packs are damn expensive...but, given that the Mach III Turbo is a superiour blade, does it hold its edge better? I know from the past, reusing disposable blades was akin to throwing acid on my face so I never tried it again.
Also, for years I've used Gillette Shaving Gel and about 6 months ago, switched to Nivea For Men. Man, what a total difference. I used to get the burn pretty bad but since switching to Nivea, I never get burn, at all and the shave is much smoother and closer. Just a tip for you outdoorsman.
Bruce

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Quite possibly the most comfortable razor shave of my life.
This sentiment describes my experience after a month with the Schick Quattro. Not only comfortable, but an amazingly close shave. Now I don't worry about the five-o-clock shadow rolling around every day. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
larry mac
Apparently shaving is hugely dependent on individual physiology.

I have had a beard all my adult life; so only have to shave 3 places (neck and cheek areas).I tried using an electric twice in my life and it tore me up both times. Always used twin blade disposables and Barbasol or the cheapest shaving cream; sometimes cut me or caused minor irritation (especially with new razors).

A couple years ago received free Mach 3 razor in mail. Best shave I ever had; I'll never go back! Raved about 'em to everyone I knew but was surprised when my friends and family (who do not have beards) tried them and complained that they sucked for them; cut 'em up bad.

For me they are best after I shave once or twice. I have heavy beard and probably shave on average every day and a half. Each blade last me at least a month or more.

Can't wait to try the Quatro four blade razor. Anyone tried these?

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
The only place that I might get razor burn is my neck. And I've found that it only happens when I raise my chin up and the skin is tight. When I keep my chin down and the skin is loose I can shave it against the grain it's totally fine.

PatB

Stunt Coordinator
That tendskin stuff blows. It made my face dry and red and really raw, almost like it was burning my skin off. I've almost given up on trying to have a normal shave altogether. I just shave when I have to. I've been letting it go and then just shaving with a trimmer to clean myself up somewhat. If I really have to it's with a razor, and that's just once down, with the grain.

I'm still wondering about an electric. But they seem to pricey to just try b/c most things I've read say you have to give your face at least 3 weeks to adjust.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
This sentiment describes my experience after a month with the Schick Quattro
Yeah, I just picked up a Quattro about a month ago. It seems to work VERY well. I really can't tell much difference in shave between the Mach 3 and the Quattro on my face, BUT I do like the handle on the Quattro better.

It has a little more weight to it and has a slightly larger diameter. The prices in cartridges are comparalble, so I think I will stick with the Quattro for a little while.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
The prices in cartridges are comparalble, so I think I will stick with the Quattro for a little while.
The great part about it is that it's now paired Gillette and Schick against each other in a price war. Most places here have the Quattro or Mach 3 on sale. And there's coupons for both available almost weekly.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Grew a full beard as opposed to the goatee, basically because I got tired of buying blades. *L*

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
I have to second the vote on Nivea for Men shaving cream, I just switched to it and the difference is incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks