Gillette Mach 3 Turbo

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Peter Kline, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Quite possibly the most comfortable razor shave of my life. You can use your old razor (Mach 3) so don't buy the new one with two cartridges. The 4 pack is pricey, about $8.50 plus tax but worth a try I think.

2. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

Agreed, that razor provides a great shave!

3. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Mach 3 Turbo?! Is it just me , or is it starting to sound like a Street-Fighter video game thing? In which case, I'll wait for Super Mach 3 Turbo Jet.[​IMG]

4. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

So I've been using a Mach 3 for quite awhile, and stumbled across the Mach 3 Turbo blades the other day in the drug store. Reading the back, I couldn't see any difference between the two. What's different?

5. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

I've been using the Mach 3 for about a year and I agree it provides an excellent shave. I'll try the new onw soon and get back to you about my findings. Thanks for the heads up!

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I've been using a mach3 and honestly think they're sooooooooo freaking overpriced it's insane, I should go back to my electric, it did as good of a job [​IMG]

7. Steve Sz

Steve Sz Agent

they may be priced high but they last and last. I loved the mach 3 but this one is even better. I could shave 3 times a day and my wife would still complain but this blade is by far the best I have ever used. I'll gladly pay the price.

8. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Hm..

i've been using the Mach 3 for years now.. i love it. Didn't realize that the Turbo could be used on the old razor.

Not only are these overpriced, but there has been a Mach 3 shortage in my area. I had to really scour the stores to find a single pack of regular Mach 3 razors. Unfortunately, it's the only blade that doesn't irritate my skin.

Costco or some-such store would be a good choice to get these blades; much cheaper.

Joseph

9. BrianB

BrianB Producer

10. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

11. Ryan Potts

Ryan Potts Stunt Coordinator

Like DonR, I'm curious as to the difference between the two blades. I have to admit that I haven't looked closely at the new ones yet. (I don't really need any new blades for the moment)

12. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

The blades are basically the same in configuration. But the smoothness of the new ones are amazing. There's almost no feeling of the blade on skin in either direction. I understand there's more lubricant and the blades are even sharper then the original Mach 3. As I said, save money and use your old Mach 3 razor, the new blades fit perfectly.

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

14. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I can never understand why anyone goes WITH the grain. It takes 3x longer and doesn't do as good of a job if you go with the grain.

I was very encouraged when I heard them specifically say it's good for against the grain. Even though I have a beard, I still shave my neck and the little patch under my mouth that drives me nuts with even 1 day of growth.

SO unless someone, jealous of my Mach3ness borrows my razor to shave their legs, who will remain nameless! My blades last a month or 2

15. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Luckily for me..either it's good skin, light beard or a combination of both, but I don't get the burn you are talking about when going against the grain. I usually give it the once over going with the grain first and then go against the grain to get that really close shave you just cannot get going with the grain alone. And I end up with ZERO razor burn.

16. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    If you want to experience the ULTIMATE in soft, baby ass smooth shaving, trying scrubbing your face with Clinque Face Scrub before shaving with a brand new Mach III blade. Man, that day, I find myself rubbing my hand on my chin all day, just cause it's so smooth!

I'm now excited to try the Mach III Turbo!

17. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

18. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I use the Xtreme III disposables from Schick and they're a huge improvement over other disposables I've used. But I admit that this thread has piqued my interest and I will be picking up a Mach 3 Turbo on my next visit to Target.

Also, I shave every day (what's with these guys that only need to shave every few days?) and never get razor burn even though I always go against the grain. But I shave in the shower and maybe my face being constantly wet helps prevent the burn.

19. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

I have serious shaving problems. For the last six months or so I've been getting really bad razor bumps, they look like little pimples, and it's painful, aggravating and has caused me to miss out on some work. I need a remedy, do any of you guys have this problem and what do you do to prevent it???

Maybe this clinique stuff will work. Sounds fancy enough.

20. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

I used to have to shave with an electric because of the vicious razor burn I'd get with a blade. I've now been able to switch to a blade and only use the electric for touch-ups. Here's what I do:

1. Preparation is everything. I usually shave in the shower because you need to soften the beard as much as possible. The hotter the water you can stand, the better. Shave a half inch below your sideburns before getting into the shower so you can do the rest of your face by feel and not worry about messing them up.

2. If you can't shave in the shower, hold a washcloth soaked in very hot water against your face for a minute before shaving. Do this before showering, or wash your face thoroughly when done.

3. Face scrubs are great because they soften the beard and exfoliate the skin. I use one every few days but you can use it more frequently if needed. I like Freeman's Apricot face scub which you can get cheaply at any drug store. Randy mentioned a Clinique brand which I'm sure is very good too (I use their face soap at night)

4. Use a good shaving cream. I use something from American Crew which you have to buy at a hair salon or beauty shop. It cost about $8 and comes in a tube, but it lasts for about 8 months so it works out cheaper than most. It's not a heavy foam or gel but more of a thin, very slippery cream. I understand The Body Shop has something similar to it.

5. Wash your face thoroughly when done. This is when shaving in the shower really helps.

6. As important as preparation is after-shave. Avoid run-of-the-mill, alcohol-based options. I've been using Neutrogena's new men's after shave for sensitive skin with great results for a few months now, you can find it in any CVS. For really bad razor burn, try to locate something called Tend Skin. It's about $20/bottle and is somewhat hard to fins, but you should be able to do it on the Internet. It stings like hell, it smells terrible, but 10 minutes after applying you'll have no sign of burn and your face will feel great. I used to use it on my whole face, but now I just use it for spot applications.

7. Expect a little sensitivity while your face gets used to the blade, but it will improve.

In spite of the lengthy description, my morning shaving ritual really doesn't take more than 8-10 minutes. I end up with a great blade shave even with sensitive skin. PatB, I hope this helps some.