What's new

Gigli to be pulled from cinemas! Could this be the shortest cinema to DVD window yet? (1 Viewer)

Ian C

Stunt Coordinator
October rolls around... And in further news...Gigli lands in the top spot for DVD sales this week. Apparently, morbid curiosity has forced people to check it out.

Wyatt_Y

Stunt Coordinator
OK, I gotta confess to jumping on the band wagon with the negativity regarding this movie...along with not being terribly interested in JL and/or BA.....

BUT...I didn't realize it was the same producer/director as 'Meet Joe Black'...I'll have to look at it a bit more open-mindedly since MJB is one of my absolute favorite movies....

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I betcha this film does surprisingly
well on DVD.

Most DVD releases do better than their
theatrical counterparts to begin with, but
I think the curiosity factor will bring more
people out to rent this one.

I know I will.

The studio would be smart to release it
on DVD by week's end. :)

Only seeing the trailer I thought the movie looked kind of funny. The overload of JLo/Ben press killed this movie without a doubt. Movie's usually tank when Actors try and use an accent they just can't do. Affleck's Italian (i think) is horrible in this movie. It brings back bad memories of Nic Cage in Captain Correlli's Mandacrap .. :thumbsdown:

and on the curosity making a good dvd sale note .. I agree :) .. Battlefield Earth sold pretty well for us even though it tanked at the box office.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Shaun,

You bring up some interesting points I
immediately related to.

First, I saw the trailer for Gigli
on HDNET about a month ago. It actually
looked like it was going to be a knockout
of a film. The trailer boasted a truckload
of quick one-liners and what seemed to be
some very interesting situations. I actually
wanted to see this film despite the
fact that I absolutely abhor Ben Affleck.

I also felt that Nicholas Cage was horrible
in that "Captain" movie solely because of his
Italian accent and mannerisms that just didn't
sound nor look natural.

Anyhow, I would still be interested in seeing
just how bad this film is -- just as many members
did when Battlefield Earth came out on DVD.
In fact, I think the membership is going to have
a lot of fun discussing this DVD on HTF upon its
release.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Battlefield Earth was released only in a different version from the theatrical release though- I heard some of the more 'embarrassing' scenes were cut out. That's a shame, because I ran this for 3 weeks and thought it was a classic bad movie- so bad, it's funny.

Seymour Uranowitz

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a juicy story about the wrangling behind the scenes, from yesterday's Minneapolis Star Tribune. (Hi, Randy!)

No one should be surprised that "Gigli" tanked in its weekend debut, to the tune of $3.8 million: First its creators couldn't decide what to call it (it went from "Gigli" to "Tough Love" back to "Gigli"); then they couldn't decide how to end it. A new finish was shot after disastrous initial screenings, but subsequent screenings apparently weren't successful either. Director Martin Brest and Revolution Studios head Joe Roth had to be separated during a shouting-and-shoving match after one preview, with Brest yelling, "See, we did it your way, we did your Hollywood ending, and people hated it!"

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wonder if after the failure of this film, Ben Affleck will take a supporting role with the "Aflak" duck on those commercials.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Ben should talk to Warren Beatty and Dustin Hoffman what great films like this do to your career, and what he should do right now.;)

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
John KB I am sure Affleck is loving every minute of doing what you mentioned :D .

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Well, at least now they can promote it as "the record-breaking sensation, Gigli." :D

I can't wait to read the press release for this DVD.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Schadenfreude, anyone? Not that these two media w****s don't deserve being taken down a step or two. Hopefully, Lopez will realise that diva vanity projects don't make for a succesful, lasting film career. As for Affleck, well, he has to be the luckiest rube in the world. No discernable talent of any description and yet he gets $12m a picture. How much of Good Will Hunting did he write, anyway? I mean, for an Oscar winning screenwriter he can sure pick some lousy scripts to work with (Gigli, Armageddon, Peal Harbor, Reindeer Games... the list goes on and on).

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
The latest word is that Miramax is advertising the fact that the Jennifer Lopez character dies in the first 15 minutes of Jersey Girl and that they have pulled her photos from the advertising for that film. This tidbit comes from Matt Drudge's radio program.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
For the record, I absolutely LOVE "Glitter" and own the DVD. I would buy the superbit in a heartbeat!

I still have not seen Gigli, but judging from the commercials, it looks REALLY good to me. Plus, I love Jennifer Lopez (I have all her movies) and Ben Affleck (although he's made some pretty shitty movies, i.e. Reindeer Games & Forces Of Nature). I'm looking forward to buying the DVD as soon as it comes out...of course, it will be a blind purchase, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks