Gigli - DVD more popular than previously thought?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mitch Stevens, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

Ever since I heard just how bad Gigli was, I wanted to see it for myself! Well, it turns out, that I've had the DVD at the very top of my Netflix queue since BEFORE it was released, and it's still there. There are SOOOO many people renting this movie.

I also looked for it at my local Hollywood Video, but it too, is being rented. Damn! I really want to see this movie, but due to it's overwhelming popularity, it simply can not be found, available for rent.

2. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

Maybe Netflix and video stores are only stocking one copy of GIGLI in order to limit the suffering of unsuspecting customers.

3. Drew Reiber

Drew Reiber Supporting Actor

It's really not THAT shocking. Most of those who haven't seen the film are still curious as to whether or not it lives up to it's infamy. Renting it once is hardly an offense to the gods of film. In fact, everywhere I go there are loads of unsold copies. Show me DVD purchase numbers and I'll start worrying about the current marketplace.

4. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

It ranks 2173rd at Amazon right now - pretty piss poor...

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Just like an accident scene, people can't resist taking a peek.

6. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

Of course it's been rented a lot. Who would buy it?

7. Lane_S

Lane_S Agent

The reason you see so much celebrity news concentrated on Bennifer is that there is a market for it. As such there are a bunch of people quietly renting Gigli to see the two people they read about in their People, US and Entertainment Weekly magazines every week and watch on ET and Access Hollywood every night.

Word I've heard is the movie sucks, but its not as bad as everyone was led to believe. I'll catch it on cable because (1) Ben Afflek will always be that really funny guy on the Kevin Smith film commentaries to me, and (2) looking at Jennifer Lopez for 90 minutes is less a waste of time than some other things I can think of. I don't expect great art or even a good time, and I may flip the channel ten minutes in, but I'll give it a shot as long as it's essentially free.

8. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Most likely that Netflix didn't buy an extensive stock, not anticipating much demand.