What's new

Gift for a great woman you don't know too well, but would like to? (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Anyone ever wonder where the 'local date+tme' under our names come from? Is that standard time, metric time or schitzo time?
I believe it's supposed to be your local time in your zone. It may need to be reset in your profile with the installation of the new server(s).

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Sorry if you don't believe that.
I'm not saying I don't believe you. Also, my heart goes out to you for the fact that you'd actually fear for your life. Yes, things can change without us knowing, that's why I brought up that point...

And since you were the one who was put in a bad situation, I am actually attacking your husband and not you about being serious with their wedding vows.

What's the point in going through a wedding ceremony if there's the slightest chance that you may go against it? No marriage is guaranteed, so why go through such a process that doesn't allow for the two of you to change your minds? Isn't that blasphemous?

And since divorce is such a common thing now a days, then why does everyone get all over Roberts case for 'dishonoring' this engaged woman? If marriage isn't as "Final" as it should be, then I'd say Robert has just as much chance of winning the heart of this woman than if she weren't engaged.

People prove all the time that wedding vows and engagements mean nothing, so that's why I say "GO FOR IT" Robert!

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
People who have been together since they were quite young may think their spouse is 'perfect', but with nothing to compare them to, how do you know?
In order to come to a definitive answer, you would probably have to "interact" with the better part of 6 Billion people, which is the current world population. So, if you take the law of averages, the results achieved from "comparing" as many potential mates as possible while young or marrying at that same time are in the same statistical sample.

I am sure you could cut the playing field down to a couple billing or so by eliminating the men/women, etc.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
In order to come to a definitive answer, you would probably have to "interact" with the better part of 6 Billion people
Sure, 10 women won't give you a better idea of the entire species of women, but the law of averages works a hell of a lot better when there's more than just 1. That's why I think my mom is the best mom in the world...I have no one else to compare her to ;)

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
Isn't that everyone?? Oh, you mean one or the other.
Different strokes for different folks. I didn't want to color anyone's preferences based on my own inclinations. Take your pick .... you might not want to cut the sample down at all.;)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Do you really want some women who would just turn and run on her fiance.
Goodness, our society still has a looong way to go in it's view of women. People fuck up. It's unavoidable. One of those mistakes could be to have said yes to someone you didn't really want to marry. When you finally realise it, you leave. It doesn't make you evil.

--
Holadem

Michelle Schmid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michelle Holloway
LOL. Actually, I met my soon-to-be-ex when my son was 3 months old. I was not married to his father *GASP* because I knew that relationship would never work out. Very few common interests--but what there was . . .

Mark--attack my husband all you want, he doesn't want to get divorced. He thinks we can work it out, it was only one time, and "it'll never happen again." He'd be back in my house in less than 30 seconds if I let him. Trouble is, I'm afraid next time will end with a coffin. He works construction, I weigh less than 100 lbs. You do the math.

And since divorce is such a common thing now a days, then why does everyone get all over Roberts case for 'dishonoring' this engaged woman?
Because divorce SHOULDN'T be common. People shouldn't go around deliberatly trying to break up a marriage or an engagement. Like Bill said, there are 6 billion people in the world--this ONE has already promised herself to someone. Find someone else.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
ok, lets do the math on getting a statistical sample of behavior;

6 billion people;
3 billion women;
only 10% or so in my age group= 300 million women
only 10% are attractive enough and still in my league= 30 million women
of them, only 20% speak english = 6 million women
of them only 10% are college graduates (call me superficial)= 600,000 women
of them, 5% are gay = 570,00 women

Now, it has been 10 years since my last statistics class, but a representative samply I believe is only about 1% of a population, so that would mean 5,700 women. Over 10 years of dateing (16-26 yrs old) you could meet 570/year and achieve a representative sample. That's 1.5/day.

Of those who you meet, you may only want to date 10%. That is roughly one new date per week.

Do-able, though costly in time committment, dining fees, and condoms.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
People shouldn't go around deliberatly trying to break up a marriage or an engagement
But this is where you're assuming wrong. I don't think Robert ever wanted to 'deliberately' break up her engagement (that would be dishonorable), he just wanted to put a little bird in her ear in case she ever DID decide to break it off.

Since it's not so uncommon for people to break off engagements (or even marriage), what's wrong with 'covering the playing field'? As long as Robert doesn't force his way in and allow the woman to make the decision, I don't see the harm.

If marriage was as FINAL as it should be, then I'd change my tune, but that doesn't seem to be the case, so why not let Robert get the upper-hand in case something ever did happen? It's kind of like a limited-warranty...why would a company give you a 3 month warranty if the product is supposed to last much longer than 3 months? ;)

Again, if this woman is serious about the engagement and in love with her fiance, then how can Robert ruin it?

Just like any other married person, if someone came up to you and said they loved you, would you leave your spouse? Probably not, and if you did, then shame on you (and not the person who proclaimed their love to you)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
And remember "'Till death do us part"? What's the point in getting married if you have a way to get out of it (and still be alive ). I realize that things change, but I seriously think we need to stop with all these marriage ceremonies because nobody is taking them seriously!
I'm not one of those women who dreamed of getting married as a young girl. I PRESUMED I would, but never thought much about it. I've been through HELL in some of my relationships (several where I did want to get married), however, and am at a place now where I have NO desire to get married whatsoever. I don't want children, so that removes one impetus.

Mark's comment reminded me of one of the men in my life. We had a "fling" stretched out over many years (with huge gaps) in between. Last I saw him, he was on his 4th marriage. I never asked, but could NEVER understand his compulsion to keep getting married when he was a "rolling stone". He traveled most of the time, but I guess felt he needed an anchor with wife somewhere. I could only wonder if the wives all were oblivious to his nature IF they were expecting monogamy. I'm not presuming that, as every marriage has different rules. But for him -- why bother? He easily got women left and right.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
And remember "'Till death do us part"? What's the point in getting married if you have a way to get out of it (and still be alive ). I realize that things change, but I seriously think we need to stop with all these marriage ceremonies because nobody is taking them seriously!
Just because a lot of people don't take marrige vows seriously doens't mean we should get rid of them altogether. They are for the people who do mean it. I know what they stand for and I am not going to get married until I know I mean them, and IMO if you are honest with yourself you will know if you mean them or not.

P.S., you don't have to have sex with a women to know if you want to marry her, you can find out what kind of person she is just by talking to her and getting to know her.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Eric, :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: LOL

Now take into account religious beliefs, smoking preferences, children/no kids, etc. and you can cut that down even further ;)

Elisabeth, What? I've never been married, never been engaged, I don't date a lot of women (in fact, I go YEARS without a date), because I am completely turned off by the whole dating thing. It seems so barbaric and too ritualistic. Add the fear that I might fall in love with someone for all the wrong reasons and you'll find the source of my disgust toward relationships. I see too many couples doing the most horrific things to their significant others that it seems like love is only a temporary thing. If I could change all of that, I would in a heartbeat. But, so many people treat love like a joke and I just don't see any reason for defending it when people change their minds so often.

Hopefully I will meet some woman who will change my perceptions, but until then, I really have no faith that most people really mean it when they say they love each other.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Elisabeth, What? I've never been married, never been engaged, I don't date a lot of women (in fact, I go YEARS without a date), because I am completely turned off by the whole dating thing. It seems so barbaric and too ritualistic. Add the fear that I might fall in love with someone for all the wrong reasons and you'll find the source of my disgust toward relationships. I see too many couples doing the most horrific things to their significant others that it seems like love is only a temporary thing. If I could change all of that, I would in a heartbeat. But, so many people treat love like a joke and I just don't see any reason for defending it when people change their minds so often.
I meant your previous comment reminded me of him because he didn't take marriage seriously. (But kept doing it anyway.) So it puzzled me why he wouldn't just stay single.

I understand some of your sentiments above, Mark. Love is definitely a risky proposition.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Yeah Mark, and that will happen all by itself, while you're busing being disgusted by the whole dating thing.
:laugh: It's funny how life works...

After a nasty breakup, a close friend of mine decided that he hated women. Think, "Little girls are THE DEVIL!" For over a year it was nothing but, "Stupid women. They're all the same. All they want to do is dick you around. I'm never giving another ring to one of those stupid b**ches." I'm talking an all out, disgusting hatred for females! All because some cute little blonde with a big rock on her finger (financed @ 22% with a mall-store credit card) went to visit her mom 3 states away and decided to engage in a little extracurricular activity. (The guy finally got his $2k+ ring back and some shady pawn shop dealer told him it was worth $20. He climbed to the top of a local mountain and threw it off a cliff.)

So, I don't see him for awhile, because quite frankly I couldn't stand to be around him. Then the next thing I know the sucker is in a serious relationship and a year later he's married. :confused:

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
I know my original situation is pretty much obsolete now, but a few posts posed the question of whether she was serious about her engagement. I believe so. She told me the date was set for next spring some time. She told me the exact date, but like a typical guy :D I was not listening too closely.

To summarize, despite the tone of my original post, I was not looking to sabotage her engagement. I wanted to get a feel for how serious it was. I did. It seemed serious to me. So, I did not press the issue. I will call her every now and again. But you know how it goes...out of sight, out of mind.

If some guy made a move on my wife, I wouldn't mind. If I find her attractive, why wouldn't someone else? If, however, that guy succeeded, I'd kick his ass.
Anders, why would you beat him up? He did not hurt you. He did not choose to potentially destroy your relationship. SHE did. She knows you. She has seen you vulnerable. She knows how much she means to you. If she still goes for another man in that situation, then she is the one hurting you. The other guy is just, for lack of a better term, trying to get laid. Why don't you beat her up instead? That would be more logical, although spineless.

If someone wins your lover's heart...let it go. You had a life before her, and you will have a life after her.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
This reminds me of a poster I used to have on my dorm room wall in college:

If you love something
Let it go.
If it comes back to you,
It was meant to be.
If not,
Hunt it down
And kill it.

:)

Regards,

Joe

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Mark;

re: "Hopefully I will meet some woman who will change my perceptions"

You gotta do like me. Dating U.S. girls is just for fun. Most are 'throw backs' for various reasons. Divorcees are the only U.S. girls who really are worth being serious with. The rest all have some cock-eyed fairy tale vision of what a relationship should be like. (for example, men NEVER fart!)

I ended up getting an import. Just like with cars, they are less maintenace, cheaper upkeep, less pollution, a quieter ride, and you get more mileage. (oh, I am soooo bad! - I just slapped MYSELF!)

Mine is a 1971 Canadian RN (nurse), but I hear other nations make em just as good. Now, go hit the road and find some exotic bootie! (or, one you'd marry, perma-bootie)

If that don't work you can always try these:

http://www.goodwife.com/
http://www.bridesbymail.com/

hehehehehehehe hahahahahahahaha hohohohohohoho

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks