Gidget & Two Bobby Darin Films - Worth a Purchase?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Brent Avery, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Brent Avery

Brent Avery Supporting Actor

Anyone have information on the Complete Gidget Collection being released by Columbia Tristar on Aug.3? It includes Gidget/ Gidget Goes Hawaiian/ and Gidget Goes To Rome. Are they in the correct OAR? I basically enjoy watching alot of the films from the '50's and '60's and these are just harmless fun - heck, you can't find that kind of entertainment today.I have never seen these films before but still look forward to veiwing them. Also there are two Bobby Darin films released on that date as well - If A Man Answers and That Funny Feeling. A look at Amazon left me wondering who is releasing it and whether the video quality will be acceptable and if they will be enhanced widescreen. There must be someone who enjoys these
    movies willing to offer some info on them - any takers?

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

The OAR (at least for the first Gidget film) is 2.35:1, and every indication so far, is that this dvd is 1.33:1, a true pan & scan atrocity.

Hopefully that info is wrong, but if it turns out to be the case, these wouldn't be worth anything.

3. Brent Avery

Brent Avery Supporting Actor

George:

I just checked Sony's site and read up on the details. Well, it says full frame in the specs but in the over view on the dvd it says " Gidget is presented in the original Cinemascope for the first time in 45 years". But of course it does not say anything about the other two. Hope it is a mistake because it seems like a waste of time to show one in its OAR and the others in P&S. I emailed them and asked if was
    an error.

4. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I'm also a bit disappointed that the Complete Gidget only has three films. Now, technically that's correct in that there were only 3 theatrical films. But there were 2 made for tv movies that frankly I still view as part of the series (hell, I didn't even realize the last 2 weren't released theatrically). It's too bad they didn't include those, especially since there OAR was 1.33:1.