What's new

Gideon of Scotland Yard (1958) BD-R via Sony (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Good film, but one will want to confirm that it's the color version.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
That's an interesting statement. I was unaware until now that the film was released as Gideon of Scotland Yard in USA as black and white and in UK as Gideon's Way in Technicolor prints. Very strange indeed. I have this film on DVD as Gideon's Day as the book but not seen it in years. I knew it was on local TV decades ago and it would have been b&w as we did not have color then. We live and learn in this business. I must say the listed price is a bit high not matter was form it is in.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin

The DVD in TCM's John Ford Columbia Films Collection is the color version.

I'm surprised this film is coming out on Blu-ray as it only sneaked out on DVD. If the transfer is up to Sony' usual high standards, I'm buying.

Somewhere I have an on-location still from this film showing John Ford and Jack Hawkins in the foreground and Freddie Young behind them, with his back to the camera. I'll try to find it.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
The DVD in TCM's John Ford Columbia Films Collection is the color version.

I'm surprised this film is coming out on Blu-ray as it only sneaked out on DVD. If the transfer is up to Sony' usual high standards, I'm buying.

Somewhere I have an on-location still from this film showing John Ford and Jack Hawkins in the foreground and Freddie Young behind them, with his back to the camera. I'll try to find it.
This movie is very often shown on UK TV...........I watched it twice..............First time of watching I was so surprised at the dreadful acting and script...............2nd time I had to watch it again to see if for some reason I was incorrect in my personal review...........but I was of the same opinion...............which is it is one of the most embarrassing and appalling movies I ever seen..................

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
That's an interesting statement. I was unaware until now that the film was released as Gideon of Scotland Yard in USA as black and white and in UK as Gideon's Way in Technicolor prints. Very strange indeed. I have this film on DVD as Gideon's Day as the book but not seen it in years. I knew it was on local TV decades ago and it would have been b&w as we did not have color then. We live and learn in this business. I must say the listed price is a bit high not matter was form it is in.

Indeed. Just like The Terror of the Tongs was originally released in U.S. theaters in black-and-white while the UK and current DVDs have the original color version. A bit off topic, but worth mentioning nonetheless.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
This movie is very often shown on UK TV...........I watched it twice..............First time of watching I was so surprised at the dreadful acting and script...............2nd time I had to watch it again to see if for some reason I was incorrect in my personal review...........but I was of the same opinion...............which is it is one of the most embarrassing and appalling movies I ever seen..................

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. The film is no great masterwork, but equally it's not "one of the most embarrassing and appalling movies I've ever seen." Maybe I've seen a lot more embarrassing and appalling movies than you have! :)

Gideon's Day.jpg

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think it's a film that was unfairly treated at the time, and is ripe for reassessment; it's a paradoxically sometimes dark, sometimes charming Ealing-esque take on the police procedural that neatly anticipates some of the similar themes Hitchcock would explore in Frenzy. Gideon's Day is beautifully photographed and executed IMHO.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I thought no one released stuff in BD-R? Is it really going to be like that or is this just a limited pressing?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I thought no one released stuff in BD-R? Is it really going to be like that or is this just a limited pressing?
Supposedly Sony just started releasing movies (including a few brand-new movies like The Meddler) in the BD-R format. However I've not seen any confirmation from anyone who has actually purchased one to say that they are indeed burned and not pressed.

Edit: I just found a review of Marie Antoinette on Amazon where the reviewer was claiming the release to be a bootleg because it was a BD-R. So I guess I can take that as a confirmation that Sony is indeed going BD-R on these releases!

Last edited:

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Supposedly Sony just started releasing movies (including a few brand-new movies like The Meddler) in the BD-R format. However I've not seen any confirmation from anyone who has actually purchased one to say that they are indeed burned and not pressed.

Edit: I just found a review of Marie Antoinette on Amazon where the reviewer was claiming the release to be a bootleg because it was a BD-R. So I guess I can take that as a confirmation that Sony is indeed going BD-R on these releases!
Confirmed here a while back:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/index.php?threads/349040/

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric

It would appear that Sony's "Choice Collection" are produced in France and have unremovable French subtitles when the original English soundtrack is chosen (2 reviewers in the Amazon/Marie Antoinette reviews mention the subtitles and the BD-R) . Perhaps the import aspect explains the $26.99 price point for both Marie Antoinette + Gideon of Scotland Yard.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
It would appear that Sony's "Choice Collection" are produced in France and have unremovable French subtitles when the original English soundtrack is chosen (2 reviewers in the Amazon/Marie Antoinette reviews mention the subtitles and the BD-R) . Perhaps the import aspect explains the $26.99 price point for both Marie Antoinette + Gideon of Scotland Yard.
No that's just silly. There is also a French import Blu-ray of Marie Antoinette, and that is what both of those reviewers have bought, definitely NOT the new Sony BD-R. But we are getting hopelessly off-topic here.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Ok, how can you tell if it's a BD-R? I have received my copy and can not tell, as it looks pressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks