Giant Soda Pop Cups At Convenience Stores

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Cowmeadow, Apr 20, 2002.

1. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

Have you seen the latest obesity inducing thing to come out of these places? You can now get insulated cups that hold 64 ounces of pop. These things look like a pony keg with a handle. Adds new meaning to the term "Super-Size".

The fattening of America!

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Yeah, as Dennis Miller said years ago, "Does anyone really need a depth-charge sized glass of Dr. Pepper? Who is this for, someone who just walked directly off the surface of the Sun?" [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Joe

3. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

4. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

You can avoid fattening up by filling that 64-oz. cup with diet soda instead of the regular, sugary kind...

I find those ultra-super-size sodas to be perfect for the 3.5-hour drive from Austin to Dallas (or vice-versa. Make that drive in July or August, and you'll understand the reason for 64-oz. sodas!!!

5. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

The bigger the better IMO. I drink a lot. Used to work across the street from a 7-11 and would got and get a SuperBigGulp most mornings and more than a few times it wasn't enough.

6. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I just hope you all have 64-oz bladders! [​IMG]
    KJP

7. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

We have a release.

8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I used to be a big diet soda drinker and LOVED the advent of the 32-ounce cup. I must admit, though, that I would be embarassed to use the extra-large 44-ounce cup when available.
    However, I have given it all up -- mostly because of the caffeine. But, also because of all the chemicals and the fact its just not giving your body anything good.
    Did anyone read this thread awhile back?
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ighlight=water

9. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

That Dennis Miller line must be 10 years old and I still smile when I think of it.

10. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Actually they are pretty good to fill up with ice water.

11. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

I've never heard of anybody getting seriously huge by drinking non-diet soda-pop! I know it's sugary, but ALL pop has Zero fat.
    It's the junk we eat ALONG WITH those zero-fat Pepsis that makes the U.S. the fattest country in the world.
    (Just heard on CNN a few days back that a whopping EIGHTY PER CENT of Americans are SERIOUSLY overweight. Not just 10 pounds or so, but MORE than 30 pounds per person of over-indulgence! I hope they're making jetliners stronger these days! And those airplane seats! Geez...An avg.-sized individual needs a shoe-horn to squeeze in!! I guess that's yet another subject though....[​IMG])
    Speaking of Super-Sizing It .... What do you think of the new "Wheelbarrow" size of french fries you can get at most fast-food eateries nowadays?? Gotta love it! (If you've got three hours for lunch, that is!! [​IMG])

12. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

13. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    A little off topic but kind of funny. As I'm doing some research for my next car purchase, I am haning out at som subaru WRX forums. A bunch of people there were griping that we dont get the nifty Japanese racing seats her in the USA. Someone finally responded that SOJ (Subaru of Japan) did some market testing and concluded that the seats where to narrow for the US. [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Scott_G

Scott_G Second Unit

Kind of doesn't fit with the "50% of all Americans are dehydrated".

I see more people with big gulps, water bottles, Gatorade and such then ever before.

I drink now more than I ever did.

15. Maurice McCone

Maurice McCone Stunt Coordinator

the last car I rented on a visit to the States had 4 cup holders...!! whats that all about ?

I had to pay extra, for my new car in the UK to have any put in.

Why does anyone need that much fluid in their car ? maybe its for refilling the radiator or something!?

16. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

17. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

Maurice, they actually mention how many cup holders are in cars in the dealership literature. it is also now expected that cars sold here have cupholders.

it makes sense here in the US if anywhere because many people drive 10 or more hours one way to somplace with there families at least once a year and I know people that drive several hours each way at least once a month with their families for weekend getaways because our lack of any good nationwide mass transit system.