Giant 2 Disc SE

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Matt Brighton, May 16, 2003.

1. Matt Brighton

Matt Brighton Stunt Coordinator

Got the new Giant DVD for review today and I popped it in and the image is fairly clean. Though the 1.66 aspect ratio is not 16:9. Any ideas on this? Warner embargoes reviews until 2 weeks prior to street (June 10), but I'll post a link to it then.

2. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    Do you mean, it's not anamorphic?

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Well, at least it ought to be a good enough transfer so that 16x9 set users can enlarge it a bit.

At least it's not 16x9 and overmatted to 1.78:1.

4. Rain

Rain Producer

When was it officially stated that it would not be anamorphic?

Some of us were hoping it might be Warner's first 1.66:1 anamorphic transfer.

5. Matt Brighton

It's not anamorphic. Sorry. I wish it was. It still looks good in "enlarged" mode on my TV, but I was hoping for a North by Northwest type transfer. That's 1.66:1 and looked great. In any case, even on the back of the box it doesn't state "...enhanced for widescreen televisions". I did compare it to my Canadian import version and the picture is noticeably improved (and that was supposedly "enhanced for widescreen TV's"). At any rate, it's a good picture and it's the best the movie has ever looked. So I suppose we should be thankful for that. Really!

6. Rain

Rain Producer

My apologies. I must have misread as I didn't realize you had the disc already. Oops.

Oh well, as long as the image is improved (which would not be difficult), it's ok with me.

This has got to be the only instance I know of where a non-anamorphic transfer is released as an SE after an anamorphic transfer had already been released.

7. Jonathan.e

Jonathan.e Stunt Coordinator

Not sure what (if any) differences there’ll be but this is listed as a 3 disc Sp Ed in the UK. Maybe a small chance this could be a different (anamorphic) transfer?

8. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

9. Matt Brighton

I've posted nothing, Ronald. I just wanted to let people know how the new transfer of this DVD was...

10. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I wish I could ask you about this transfer, Mark, but I can't - none of us can! [​IMG]

We'll all just have to wait until at least the 26th. I have no problem with that.

Gimme! Gimme! [​IMG]

Gordy

11. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

same here, oh well two weeks is fine with me

[​IMG]

12. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

The fact that after all this time Giant is being released in non-anamorphic fashion is a bit of a shock to me. Given Warner's role in promoting the DVD format and the stature of this title this move seems a bit short-sighted, especially with the steep curve of more widescreen sets being sold. I'm a bit baffled by their behavior [​IMG]. Perhaps they are setting this up as a rerelease down the line.

Joel

13. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

No, they just think that people won't want to see it overmatted (which we don't), and that doing it in anamorphic with side-bars is a waste of resolution (which it isn't for 16x9 TV owners, but is for 4x3 TV owners)...

I own a 4x3 set, so 1.66:1 non-anamorphic doesn't bother me. And as long as 4x3 TV sets exist in the homes of DVD owners, this is probably the way it's gonna stay at WB...

14. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    With all due respect, Jeff, and I do mean that, speak for yourself. Besides, how can you know what they/WB/whoever was thinking?

15. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I won't buy it then. Warner Brothers can stick their non-anamorphic widescreen DVDs up their...

On widescreen TV's these 1.66:1 non-anamorphic discs get the royal screw over.

Dan

16. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I think I'll be cancelling my pre-order on this as well due to the non-anamorphic transfer. I really hate non-anamorphic 1.66:1 transfers on my 16x9 TV. My Panasonic RP-91 can handle 1.85:1 and greater non-anamorphic transfers very well with its built-in scaler, but it crops the image on 1.66:1 discs (the scaling is not adjustable).

17. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

I wonder if there is still some uncertainty on this issue:

DVDFile announced:

18. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

19. Matt Brighton

Thank you Colin! Jeez, I had no idea what I was starting here!

Ok, just so there's no confusion: Giant is 1.66:1 and non-anamorphic! Warner told me it would be anamorphic as well (it was originally reported as full-frame, hence my question to them). It even says on the back of the box "This film is presented in a matted widescreen..." and it doesn't say "enhanced for widescreen televisions" at the end of it. I'll bring my copy when I go home for lunch and scan it if you all want to see it.

But, the picture is very good, despite being non-anamorphic it's a major improvement over that Canadian disc! That's all I know...

matt

20. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    If it looks bad on your 16x9 TV, why not play it on a 4:3 monitor?