What's new

Gia: why was the R rated version released on dvd only?? (1 Viewer)

C

Christina_V

Since both versions are avalible n video + the unrated version is shown on HBO. Why was only the R rated cut released on dvd??
I wanted to purchase the dvd,but seeing that it was only the R cut,made me not want to bother.......i'm getting really sick of studios only releasing the censored version of a film on dvd,the least they could do would be release BOTH versions on the same disc,theres more than enough space or separetly.
Well theres another sale lost & more to follow for any other studios that keep this up!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Cristina-
Blame Warner Bros, who will NOT release
unrated material in the US.
It is the same reason we do not have
Stanley Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut
in his original version, but Europe does.
-Mark

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Blame Warner Bros, who will NOT release
unrated material in the US.
HBO Home Video was in charge of this release, not Warner. HBO has also released the unrated version on VHS.
Warner Bros has very little control of what other home video studios they are apart of (New Line, HBO, etc.) do (if they did, films like the Posion Ivy trilogy, Embrace of the Vampire, and Body Shots would not be available in unrated editions like they are now).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
So is WB's policy (for WB titles only) NOT to release UR versions? I know EWS was censored, but I didn't know if it was a one-time thing or a blanket WB policy.

I hope that they release Dream Lover (James Spader, Madchen Amick) uncut. It was originally going to be out in 1998 as a Polygram release until their catalog was split into MGM and WB. I wrote to MGM, who kindly replied that WB now held the rights to this film. I have since written WB, politely asking that the Director's Cut of this film be made available on DVD and received no response.

If in fact it is WB's policy to release "R" rated versions only, then I have less hope than I did before. But I'm hoping that the fact it is "Polygram" will mean that they can put out the UR version if/when it is eventually released.

And yes, I too was hoping for a director's cut of Gia and was surprised to see HBOs DVD was the R version.

Jay Blair

Second Unit
OK. So here's my question: Has Gia been released on DVD anywhere in the world in the unrated version? I got around WB with Eyes Wide Shut with the European release, I'd love to be able to do the same for Gia. I just did a very quick check at a couple of my favorite overseas sites and couldn't find Gia on DVD in any version.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the news about Dream Lover, Carlo. I'm glad I found the unrated LD used up at Atomic Records in Burbank for $5!

Kenneth English

Second Unit
If Warner won't release unrated movies in the U.S. what's with their TRUE ROMANCE disc? Isn't it the unrated Director's Cut?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If Warner won't release unrated movies in the U.S. what's with their TRUE ROMANCE disc? Isn't it the unrated Director's Cut?
Yes it is. But that's a 1993 film of which the DC was previously released on LD and VHS. I believe Warner's "no unrated material" policy came in around 1995, after they became a political punching bag for releasing material deemed injurious to the public welfare (Natural Born Killers and Ice-T's song "Cop Killer" were the two famous examples cited by Bob Dole, then a presidential hopeful).

M.

Kenneth English

Second Unit
I believe Warner's "no unrated material" policy came in around 1995, after they became a political punching bag for releasing material deemed injurious to the public welfare (Natural Born Killers and Ice-T's song "Cop Killer" were the two famous examples cited by Bob Dole, then a presidential hopeful).
That's typical. :frowning:
Thanks for the info.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
So can someone clue me in on what I would be missing in the R rated version compared to the uncut or unrated version? I just picked this one up today while I was picking up Matchstick Men, I figured for $6.99 thats not too bad. But if I am missing a lot, then I will try to get a hold of the unrated version. Also, is this a good movie?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
In addition to Michael's post, the True Romance DVD was done by Morgan Creek and just distributed by WB. That's also why it has DTS.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
OK. So here's my question: Has Gia been released on DVD anywhere in the world in the unrated version? I got around WB with Eyes Wide Shut with the European release, I'd love to be able to do the same for Gia. I just did a very quick check at a couple of my favorite overseas sites and couldn't find Gia on DVD in any version.
I have read that the R2/UK version is uncut, but I'm not totally sure:
http://play.com/play247.asp?page=tit...2&title=101024
The R2 Japanese is surely uncut: Amazon.jp calls it (translated with WorldLingo) "Gia - naked super model complete no cutting edition". :D
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...550177-2872234

TomWoodward

Second Unit
Funnily enough, an unrated edition of Gia has been announced for the 24th August, priced at around $14.97. Extras will include biographies and a photo gallery.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'll take this as a sign that those rumors about Warners releasing Eyes Wide Shut uncut in R1 might be true. :emoji_thumbsup:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Will certainly dump my existing copy for the UR version. Thanks for the heads up!

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
Something with Warner's policy must has changed because they have announced Taking Lives for release on August 17th in both R and unrated versions.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Since Disney and Warner are doing unrated releases now, doesn't this leave Paramount as the only studio that won't?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks