'Ghostwatch' passed by the BBFC!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Reader, Sep 15, 2002.

1. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

The BFI is planning on releasing a Ghostwatch DVD before the end of the year, and recently the programme has been passed 12 by the BBFC (uncut).

While most non-UK residents may not be impressed with this news, I should point out that the 'mockumentary' was blamed for the death of a teenager who suffered from mental problems and as a result, the BBC (who made and transmitted the programme) vowed it would never be shown again.

Knowing that a DVD release is lined up is fantastic news - this really is a piece of British television history. I hope the disc's content will examine and report on the surrounding controversy as part of the supplements.

2. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

My goodness. This is the last thing I would EVER have expected to see the light of day on home video... If it is backed up my worthy supplements, I would get this.

Dan

3. James Reader

From the BBCi Site:

"The British Film Institute (BFI) announced that they would be releasing the programme earlier this year, and have now confirmed the release date as, appropriately, Halloween of this year. They've also confirmed the following extras:

-Audio commentary by writer Stephen Volk, producer Ruth Baumgarten and director Lesley Manning
    -Interview with Lesley Manning on how she approached the direction
    -Stephen Volk's original treatment, screenplay and an original ghost story, all as downloadable DVD content

The DVD will be available by ordering from the BFI website from Halloween, and in the shops on the rather less significant date of 25th November. "

4. James Reader

Ghostwatch is now almost available to order from Blackstar. The cover image is up, and they are collecting E-Mail addresses to mail back once the DVD is available for ordering.
    Sadly, the title will miss the original Halloween release date (November 25th is rumoured).
    See the cover image here

5. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

From the BFI website:
    [​IMG]
    The long-awaited video release of BBC TV's controversial Halloween special marks the first appearance of the programme in any media since its first and only transmission in 1992.
    So convincing was this 'live' telecast from a haunted house in North London that, according to the press at least in the days following transmission, it caused a wave of panic among the British viewing public similar to that in the USA following Orson Welles' radio broadcast of THE WAR OF THE WORLDS in the Thirties. The viewers aired their anger and distress on Points of View, Biteback, on the radio and in the press, and in thousands of personal letters and phone calls to the BBC. A decade on, and with the cat out of the bag, this remarkable piece of television drama retains its power to shock.
    Extra features on this DVD include a commentary by writer Stephen Volk, producer Ruth Baumgarten and director Lesley Manning, 'Shooting Reality' by Lesley Manning, plus DVD ROM content of Stephen Volk's original treatment, screenplay, and a ghost story.

It will be out on November 25th and is available for pre-order now at the bfi website, and will ship in the first week of November - link
    It's wonderful that this and Brass Eye - two of the most infamous and bootlegged British TV shows in years have both been released in special editions this year on DVD!
    Britain might be some of the worst producers of cinema in the world, but no-one can touch the quality of our telly! [​IMG]

6. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

7. James Reader

Ghostwatch can now be ordered from Blackstar (and probably other UK based e-tailers too)