What's new

Ghosts (ringing) on 57HX81. Anyone know how to exorcise them? (1 Viewer)

Chris Biggs

Stunt Coordinator
I have noticed a ghost image to the right side of distinct edges that looks like the sharpness is too high. However, with SVM off and sharpness at zero, I am still experiencing them through transparent component cables on DVDs like Gladiator and Superman.
Is there some sort of ISF tweak or service manual setting that will eliminate this problem?
Thanks in advance...

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I have not heard of any fix for this. I have a 50HX81 that is being returned.
furious.gif

Here's another link : http://www.digitalcircle.com/tv/
-Dave
------------------
DVD List

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I have seen this on Toshiba, Hitachi, and Sony (in the case of Sony HS-40 there were 3 sets of these ghost lines!) in stores.
I bought an Hitachi UWX, despite the fact that I'd seen it in the store sample with SVM off and sharpness down. The set I have doesn't do it unless I have SVM on and am watching upconverted ntsc, so I guess I got lucky.
One thing I noted was that the stores were all using cheap cables. My component cables are just higher end Radio shack coax with RCA adapters on the ends for dvd, and the cable that came with the Toshiba stb for HD.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Han

Second Unit
That's my site, BTW
tongue.gif
. Anyway, I've now moved up to Audioquest component cables with no luck... Frankly, I can't tell much of a difference with them versus Acoustic Research components on DVD. Maybe progressive scan or HD would reveal more.
Back to the ghost problem, I suggest if you have it on your Toshiba, report it to both your dealer and Toshiba. The more awareness of this issue, the better.
I'll pose this question here as well. Anyone know a good way of taking pictures of the TV screen? I have a feeling pictures posted on reviews are usually PC DVD-ROM screen captures, which wouldn't help in this situation.

Chris White

Second Unit
I don't think the ghosting that people are seeing has anything to do with cables. My opinion is that ghosting is generally caused by a problem in the optics or by a problem with reflections. If there is a problem with the optics, I don't know how that can be fixed other than by a replacement of the crts by Toshiba. If there is a problem with reflections, the problem might be fixed with a lens hood. Lens striping might also help.
Once upon a time, I had a slight halo problem (similar to the ghosting effect) and it was completely eliminated with a lens hood.
------------------
http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/theater.htm
[Edited last by Chris White on October 09, 2001 at 02:29 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks