What's new

Ghosts of the Abyss DVD? (1 Viewer)

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Has anybody heard something about this title on DVD?
Some of the questions popping up in my mind are:

When will it be released?
Will it be a 90-minute version?
Is it going to be in 3D?

Hope someone has a little info about this...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
This is a Buena Vista title. It has not been announced, so there are no firm details as to what will be on the disc.

Do a search here on HTF, and you'll see posts with rumors of a 90-minute version that is NOT in 3D.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Rumors I hope prove untrue. I'd love to see Cameron use his clout, much as he did to get the film into "normal" cineplexes in field sequential 3D, to get it onto DVD in the same fashion. Seeing it as such was a phenomenal experience, and I won't buy it in 2D. A longer cut would be welcome, but I found it very satisfying at an hour. We shall see (how much we shall see) ....

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Though I know that it won't happen, I would love to see this movie on DVD in two different versions...

1) One version that deals only with the ship and it's wonderful history.

2) One Version of the film that you could watch that would deal only with the ship and it's wonderful history WITHOUT HAVING TO WATCH THEM DAMN "WE GOTTA GET THE ROBOT'S!!!" TRIPE! For me, that was the weakest moment of the film and took away for me, what could have been been a truly wonderful experience.

...Wait a moment...those two things are basically the same version aren't they...kill the robots James...you have enough money to buy several more thousands of them at the drop of a hat...so you lose one...big deal...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I enjoyed the robot stuff. It put the people who do these dives into perspective as *people*, and the date that the robot was recovered was then nicely tied into the above-ocean events that happened that day. Events that in an odd way echo the tragedy of the loss of the Titanic (I won't spoil it here for anyone). It reminds us that this type of thing goes on in our modern history, too, and gives us the moral of the story.

It's a great thing to do, because the best reason to study history is to examine it's impact on and similarity to current events. "Those that don't know history are doomed to repeat it", but the reciprocal of that is that those who don't apply the lessons of the past to the here-and-now are also doomed. So the robot thing leading to the current events tie-in was welcome for me.

The only portion I even winced at was the whole sequence with Paxton that lead up to the "Can I write you a check?" line. And even that stuff was softened later by the way he handled himself as the dives progressed.

All-in-all, great stuff and I wouldn't change a thing! Extra footage may or may not be nice; I dunno. But I'd be ecstatic to get it as originally presented: 60-ish minutes and in 3-D!!

David Susilo

Screenwriter
how are you supposed to do 3D using 480p? The field sequential system currently available for the home market only works with 480i.

Even if they have it in 480i FS 3D, most of us will complain again since most of our larger screen TV can not display 480i in its native form.

GregK

Screenwriter

Field-sequential 3-D (the type that uses shutter glasses) *CAN* work with progressive scan. It depends on HOW your given progressive scan DVD player or progressive display device converts the interlaced video to progressive. Look for an option in either device for progressive scan conversion modes, as in "auto", "film", or "video". The commonly used "film" progressive scan mode will certainly destroy the original field order. Some "video" conversion modes use pure interpolation, and *that* is what you want for interlaced 3-D.

But note Plasma and most LCD displays will not display field-sequential 3-D properly (even if the conversion is correct) due to the slower decay rate.

DLP projectors have a very very quick decay rate, quicker than even CRTs, so field-sequential 3-D can often look *better* on DLP (which by the way *is* progressive).

David Susilo

Screenwriter
thanks for the clarification. I guess the info the manufacturer of those 3D glasses is deliberately misleading to avoid confusion from plasma and LCD users.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks