What's new

Ghosts Of The Abyss 3D Premium Edition - Japan Region 2 (1 Viewer)

Chris_Marin

Stunt Coordinator
It looks as if a far superior release of Cameron's excellent Titanic documentary is to be release in Japan:

Our article is here with a small look at the cover art.

It looks as if this set has DTS and the 3-D version over the recent US release.

GregK

Screenwriter
I received an update from CDJapan:

Kudos to CDJapan for taking care of this issue for me.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Word is that the 3-D version will be presented in "Color Code" format, which is a form of anaglyph. Instead of red/cyan glasses, they are yellow/blue, and the claim is that more natural color is possible.

I've seen some of the large format IMAX type 3-D movies in ColorCode (on R2 DVDs) and was not impressed. The glasses were so dark I could hardly see a thing through them!

I wish a field sequential version would be included, but I don't think so in this case.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I really wish they'd have included a field sequential version. At least it would be an approximation of the original 3-D.

Anyone watch the ColorCode conversion on this DVD yet? Thoughts?

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I just watched the ColorCode 3-D version. It isn't very impressive I'm afraid.

The image when seen through the glasses is incredibly dark. The color is more normal than you'd get with red/blue anaglyph, but there is still a purplish tint.

The 3-D itself is OK, but has little in common with the original IMAX 3-D presentation, which wasn't exactly perfect in the first place. (There are quite a few improperly photographed shots in the finished film, mostly conisting of scenes aboard the ship. These had objects placed too close to the camera, causing eyestrain for the viewer.) These scenes are still evident on DVD.

Ghosting occurs frequently (no pun intended) and a few shots have some cool depth, but overall it just doesn't look very good.

Most viewers will choose to view the flat 2-D version rather than sit through the 3-D DVD. ColorCode just doesn't cut it. Even SPY KIDS 3-D on DVD works much better than this does.

Again, too bad a field sequential 3-D version wasn't included. With the glasses selling for a little as $30 these days, anyone importing this DVD from Japan will have already spent more than that.

BrunnenMatt

Agent
Just received mine yesterday and thought the DVD was quite good. It took my eyes a few minutes too adapt to the 3D image. It was quite enjoyable when this happened, especially when seeing crew on board the Titanic and at the end of the movie when you saw the horizon.

I saw Spy Kids a couple of weeks ago and did not enjoy the 3D images on the DVD and thought The "Ghost Of The Abyss" was much better, the glasses are darker then the "Spy Kids" glasses and stood out when their reach the bottom of the ocean when the camera scan the sand but in other scenes improved certain shots as their scan the ship.

I have not seen a field sequential 3-D version of any movies to make a comparison. Does anybody else know where to pick up more glasses? Including one set of glasses was silly with this movie, if anybody could help me by including a link to the glasses, it would be appreciated.

I enjoyed this movie with the 3D effects, but if there could have improved this with field sequential 3-D then it is a real shame. This DVD also included a DTS track was was very enjoyable to the ear.

...BMatt

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I might have been a little hard on the DVD. I watched it again after cranking the brightness control up...way up....and it helped. I'd advise much experimentation with the TV controls to maximize the image.

Still, not even close to the IMAX 3-D effect.

Try a net search on ColorCode 3-D and you'll find info on obtaining more glasses.

BrunnenMatt

Agent
Just read over at www.colorcode3d.com to adjust your Brightness, Contrast and Saturation functions to high and then turn of the lights to achieve best results, I used the same settings for Spy Kids when I watched this DVD.

Thanks Steve Phillips for the advice on more glasses.

...BMatt

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
guys,
What is your screen size/player setup?
I have Dwin TV3, 103" screen, Denon DVD5900 via DVI all calibrated.
Should have mine very soon
Marc

GregK

Screenwriter
The 3-D ColorCode presentation for me was nothing to write home about.. especially when I know this would have looked 110% better if they would have provided a field-sequential 3-D video version. But.. on the other hand, it at a minimum provides some attempt to recreate the IMAX 3-D experience, and provides the extended cut in 2-D while providing the theatrical cut in ColorCode 3-D. Where as the Region 1 release options are 2-D, and yes, more 2-D.

DVDfile has also posted a review:
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...ftheabyss.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks