Ghosts of Mars: Should I Buy It Sight Unseen?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin_M_M, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Kevin_M_M

Kevin_M_M Stunt Coordinator

Do I buy this one sight unseen? It sounds like the campy, action, horror, violent fun I like and it is Carpenter but that used to mean more to me.

Lets see if this helps:

I love Halloween, Big Trouble.., They Live!, Escape from NY, The Fog, Prince of Darkness, Assault on Precinct 13.

Escape from LA was ok but I dont own it.

I didn't dig Vampires too much.

The only movie of this type that I have bought sight unseen was Pitch Black (because I'm a huge Aliens fan and heard good things). I loved that movie.

Will Ghost of Mars be worth buying today?

2. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

If you didn't like VAMPIRES or ESCAPE FROM L.A. I'd skip this one as well. It's worse than either of those.
    I consider myself a Carpenter fan but he has really lost something in the last 7 or 8 years. Maybe my tastes have just changed but I don't think that's entirely it. His last few movies have just, well...sucked.
    Anyway, GHOSTS OF MARS is a definite "must avoid" (for me at least). [​IMG]

3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

If you really like Carpenter's work, you might dig Ghosts, but I thought it was a pretty lame piece. I think some of Carpenter's flicks are good (Halloween, Escape from NY, The Thing) but it's been YEARS since he's produced anything decent. Ghosts isn't TERRIBLE, but it does seem bland and unmemorable.

The DVD's quite nice, though - solid picture and sound plus a good commentary and a few other decent extras. Diehard Carpenter-philes might like this set, but I sure didn't...

4. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

It's seems to be a major release. I'm sure that BlockBuster, &c. will have it for rent.

I agree that Carpenter has lost "something." It's like he's gotten... old. The enthusiasm for such flawed gems as Big Trouble in Little China isn't there anymore. He's become very professional, if you follow my meaning.

5. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I would definitely invest in a rental first. The majority will be very glad they did.

6. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

I'm actually going to quote myself and save you money:

7. Kevin_M_M

Kevin_M_M Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys, once again this forum has saved me money. I probably will give it a rental, I mean this is the guy who did Halloween and The Thing!

8. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

9. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

10. Darren Pillans

Darren Pillans Second Unit

I love Escape From New York, The Thing and Big Trouble In Little China, so I'll always have respect for John Carpenter.

I keep giving him a chance and go back, year after year to see if he's got any more magic to offer us. I sat through Village Of The Damned, In The Mouth Of Madness, Escape From L.A. and Vampires. All of which were terrible.

Now comes Ghosts Of Mars.

This is quite possibly the worst film I've ever seen.

It played like it was written and directed by a twelve year old boy. It was cliched, simplistic and infantile on all levels.

To sum it up, here are the final few lines by Natasha Henstridge and Ice Cube.

"Ya know, you'd make a pretty good cop."

"And you'd make a pretty good crook."

They glance to one another.

"Nah, let's go kick some ass."

Role credits.

How or why anyone gives Carpenter money to make movies is beyond me. I guess it's the same reason why I keep going back to see them... Hope.

My hope has run out.

Mr Carpenter, it's time to retire.

11. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

12. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

13. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

Darren,

Perhaps you can remember some more of the BAD dialogue. I forgot what Pam's character said, but it was something akin to "jolt dead and rockin' hot." I know it wasn't that but something like that. When my wife and I heard her say that we laughed so hard, puked, and laughed some more. And to think John Carpenter OKAYED that line, if not wrote it himself!!!! Horrible dialogue

14. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

I just bought Ghosts of Mars sight unseen. [​IMG] I figure I'm a big John Carpenter fan who even liked Vampires so we'll see. DVDFile had a great review.
    Gregory

15. Oliver Kopp

Oliver Kopp Stunt Coordinator

Oliver
    I liked Vampires and ordered GoM unseen. I also bought the soundtrack and thought it was ok but nothing special.

I hope the disc arrives at the end of this week so that I can watch it on the weekend. I don`t have high hopes but I`m sure I will enjoy it.

16. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Just rented the GoM dvd from Hollywood Video. Roger Ebert gave it a thumbs up and since we're usually on the same wavelength, I picked it up. Besides, at .99 a rental, I figured what the heck...

17. Robyn Young

Robyn Young Stunt Coordinator

Gotta tell ya', I didn't like this film at all. It didn't have anything that I was expecting to see visually(i.e., the planet mars, etc.), I was disappointed in the acting performances, I wasn't too impressed with the plot, and frankly, didn't like the end at all.

Overall, I really think you should rent this one first. Granted, I'm not that much of a John Carpenter fan(simply because I'm not too familiar with his work), but I disliked this one purely because I didn't find it that interesting at all.

The hand thing was kinda funny, though.

robyn

18. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

Darren Pillans: thanks so much for spoiling the ending! [​IMG] Maybe you should be more considerate in the future. [​IMG]

19. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Are you serious about Darren spoiling the ending? I didn't read anything at all that spoiled it. Anyway, this looks to be a real crappy movie. It's too bad, I really was looking forward to it. I did have a friend tell me that it was a very violent,graphic film. Is that true? I just bought it on my lunch hour and think I am going to take it back on my way home. I'll go for the rental tonight. Thanks.

20. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I chalk this movie up under guilty pleasure. Natasha Henstridge MAKES this movie! Man she is smoking hot! If you just like violence with a lite plot pick it up. This would be a MGM Midnite Movie type of release in another 20 years!