Ghosting my setup

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Bill Griffith, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

How does one Ghost there machines setup. I have the perfect setup, and it takes me about 4 hours to do a complete formate and reinstall of all the drivers and programs for my operating system hard drive. This is the 4rth time I've done this in the past 2 years. I'm getting sick of spending time doing this.

Is there a way I can make it so I have an image of the Harddrive the way it is now so if something happens again I just insert 1 disc and it installs everythgin back to this configuration? My computer is not on a network with any othe rcomputers and I do not have a laptop.

2. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

Bill,

just get Norton Ghost or Driveimage and image them. that way, like you said, if there is a problem, you can be up and running with a perfect setup in about 5 minutes.

Craig

3. Bill Griffith

You don't have to be on a network or anything to be able to reinstall do you?

Also I'm running Windows 2000 professional, I've heard there are problems ghosting with this op sys.

4. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Bill,

What it does is create a perfect drive image. It just copies and pastes... it's great. Just after one of your formats, when you have everything set up without any garbage programs installed, run ghost and create the image, and you'll be good to go.

I've got it, and it's a godsend.

5. Bill Griffith

cool thanks guys

6. Craig Woodhall

one thing i forgot to add is that you can't ghost an image onto the same drive. you will need to have at least a 2nd partition to put the image on. i always partition up my hard drive so i have a 10gb C drive for just the operating system and programs. that way you can blow away c drive and maintain all your keep programs, etc on another partition.

Craig

7. JunoVazquez

JunoVazquez Stunt Coordinator

To add, you have to use the identical HD controller chipset to use the ghosted HD. (in case you upgrade your motherboard in the future)

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Or just ghost to CDR's and don't worry about adding a second hard drive. Its a little more hassle but cheap and you can store the CDR's offsite.

9. Craig Woodhall

true Andrew, or even better, use a DVD burner.. luckily my g/f bought me one for xmas!

Craig

10. Nathan_W

Nathan_W Stunt Coordinator

Bill,

Here's a nice link about using ghost.

That might have been about dealing with NTFS partitions. If I remember correctly, that's been fixed with the newest version of Ghost. 2003, I guess it would be.

[​IMG]

11. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

The issue was with the SID and applying an image to multiple machines on the same network. You have to use ghostwalker to change the SIDs on the new machines.

This isn't an issue in this situation because it's the same PC.

Be sure to have a boot disk (floppy, cd, usb, etc).

12. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I use ghost almost everyday at work. We used to be running it on 95 machines but now finally are up to win2k. I've never had a problem and I'm still using Ghost 6.5. I have an image server setup that holds all of the images and I use a network boot disc to connect and grab or dump the image. Works like a charm, never had a problem with the SIDs.

For personal use I would just split the image into nice 650mb pieces and burn those all to a cd, make the first one bootable with ghost on it, and you are set. Of course the DVD drive is even better as your image might be in the 'large' size. [​IMG]

13. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Jason,

I've been thinking about backups for a while now, and since I don't have a DVD burner yet, this statement intrigued me:

Can you give a quick rundown of how this could be accomplished? I don't yet have Ghost, but might look into it if this is easy enough. Specifically, can it split the image up into chunks for me, or do I need another program to do that? If so, what would accomplish that part? If it helps, I use Nero for burning...

Thanks,
    -Brett.

14. Jason Harbaugh

Ghost has the option to split the image automatically during the image creation process. You just have to specify how large you want the chunks.

Run ghost from a command line using the following switches:

a:ghost.exe -split=650 -auto

The -auto switch will have ghost automatically name the extra files for you. myimage.gho myimage.001 myimage.002 The actual naming scheme will depend on the version of ghost you have.

I haven't run ghost for the longest time using the menu system so it may actually have the option in there to split the files as well.

A second option if you have already created your image is that you can have Ghost Explorer split the already captured image for you. It is in the menu system.

15. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Ghost 2003 should be able to handle 2K and XP just fine (actually 2002 could to but 2003 is much better). That said, I've never successfully cloned an XP installation from one hard drive to another and have it boot up OK (even within the same machine). It's something to do with the different ID of the hard drive.

16. Jason Harbaugh

2001 (6.5) works for Win2k pro as well, including NTFS partitions.

I've never tried XP yet. I wonder if there would be a difference between XP Pro and XP corp. Surely MS knows that most companies produce a single base image and clone that to every machine that comes in. Although they also said that migrating users from win95 to win2k and capturing all of the system, network, and user settings was impossible. I helped a local software company design a product that does just that and works like a charm. We even got it down to having to click only 2 buttons and have the computer capture the settings, reimage the device with the win2k image, bootup and apply all of the network and user settings, copy the data back over, and be done.

17. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I've used ghost on my XP machine and you can burn directly to CD on the fly which makes it incredibly easy.

I was very close to buying a DVD burner but decided to wait until spring when the dual layer burners are out.