What's new

Ghosting in Cable TV (1 Viewer)

Brendan K

Auditioning
I just moved into an apartment and have experienced a problem with the TV in my room. Whenever I connect the TV to the cable, I receive a "ghosted" image on all of my local channels. When I unplug the cable from the wall, I still receive the local signal but without any "ghosting." I assume the cable is acting like an antenna. I wonder if there is any sort of limiter-type device I can purchase to filter out the antenna-effects of the cable?

Thanks!

Brendan

James Brown

Stunt Coordinator
When ghosting occurs, what usually is happening is, your local stations signal is being picked up in your cable line due to a defective connection or cable. This is called ingress. You can call your local cable company to have them correct this... usually free of charge.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Ghosting is also caused by reflections in the cable. As James said, this could be a bad connector, but it's also caused by splitters with open outputs. If you have a splitter (say a 1-to-4) with un-used outputs, go to Radio Shack and buy some of the Terminating Resistors. These things simply screw onto un-used outputs and prevent reflections.

Let us know what works.

Brendan M.

Grip
This problem can also be caused by using a long length of coax cable. Basically the cable acts as an antenna, causing a ghost image. I had this same problem myself and just resolved it the other day by drastically shortening the length of coax I was using.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks