Ghosting Colors

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dan_HTF, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Dan_HTF

Dan_HTF Auditioning

Hi!
    I'm Dan, from Australia.
    I have a problem that hopefully some of you experts out there can help me with.

Okay, there is something not right with the image I'm getting on my LG TV.
    I had just got it abut 2 weeks ago, and have started noticing it.

Its hard to explain.
    The colors seem to ghost, the kind you see on really bad reception antenas. You know what I mean?
    I can really notice it when that warning page comes up before most DVD movies.
    The red warning sign is not solid, instead there is this double like image of the word.
    Its faint, but you can see it even sititng far away.
    Sometimes, while watching a movie, all the red would go away, and I would have to go and give the red cable a little wiggle then the red comes back.
    Weird.

I use component cables to connect my DVD player to the TV's component input.
    I didnt have this problem with my previous TV, but I used S-Video then.
    If any of you have ever experienced or seen this problem, please give me some tips on how to solve it.
    Is it the TV, DVD player, or cable?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Hi there Dan from downunder, and welcome aboard.

I'm moving your question to the Display Devices area because I think it might generate more responses here.

Help us out a bit here by telling everybody what kind of display you have and where and how you have the DVD player connected. Let's get specific and narrow this little problem down. Thanks, buddy (that's American for "mate" [​IMG]).

3. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

It sounds like the 'ringing' phenomenon. It usually happens when there is a reasonably large impedance mismatch between the cables and the electronics. My guess is you need some new/better cables.

RG

4. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    Hi Dan,

What kind of cables are you using? I know that ghosting of images can be the result of improper impedance in the video cables - you want true 75 ohm connectors, especially if you're feeding a progressive-scan signal (are you?). Also, make sure the fit between the cable and your DVD player and TV are snug (sounds like they're a bit loose).

If you've got a quality cable (and I don't necessarily mean Monster [​IMG] ) I'd suggest hooking up the player using S-Video and seeing if the problem persists.

As for good component video cables, you can do what a lot of folks here have done (myself included) and learn to make your own using Canare cable and connectors (they'll outperform most anything from Monster at a fraction of the price).

Good luck.

-Jason

5. Dan_HTF

Dan_HTF Auditioning

Thanks guys. [​IMG]

What do you mean when you say 'impedance'?
    Can one of you guys explain it in more detail for me please?

The colors are smooth, but it ghosts on the edges.
    It really shows up on text in the menus.
    Instead of seeing on solid color text, I see a double version of it almost, overlapping each other slightly.

I just bought the cables from the same place I bought the TV, they look pretty decent.
    I'm taking my DVD player and the cables back to the shop this weekend, to check if the TV, DVD player or cable is faulty.
    They have the same model on display there, so if it doesnt do it there, then the TV I have is faulty.
    I wish I could show you what I'm trying to explain.
    Any help I can get till then is much appreciated.

6. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    Well, I'm no electrical engineer (but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...), however, as I understand it, impedance is the measure of resistance to current flow. RG6 video cables have an impedance of 75 ohms, but many RCA connectors are not true 75 ohm connectors (they may be 110 ohm for instance). The mismatch between cable and connector impedance causes portions of the video signal to bounce back along the cable path, and it's these reflections that translate into ghosting effects in the final display.

That being said, another (simpler) possibility might be that your sharpness and/or contrast is set too high on your display. To avoid damaging the display, they should be set very low - well below 50%. If you discover this is the case, you should go out and get a copy of the Avia or Digital Video Essentials calibration DVD. It will walk you through all the necessary steps to properly calibrate your set.

Hope it's a simple solution, either way.

-Jason