What's new

GHOSTBUSTERS-(or why I LOVE this forum)....... (1 Viewer)

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit
I just experienced another reason why I love HTF. I was in the movies section and was reading the Olsen twins thread and in post 7 saw someone refer to the Stay Puft Marshmallow man:b. After the memories that dug up, 2 minutes later I was popping in Ghostbusters(it had been a while). I laughed my A** off and loved every minute of it.

My question to everyone out there, how often does this forum cause you to grab a movie that you haven't seen in a while? I know in the past week, I've seen Galaxy Quest after a reference to something in the Electra thread....Pitch black after the Riddick thread..Air Force One after a reference to Indy and Harrison Ford....and so on and so on. Everyone here loves movies...but we don't always have put time away to watch movies(I know I should watch more myself:frowning: ). Coming here always reminds me of that, and a lot of times MAKES me want to see something right then and there. Which isn't a bad thing.....anything that makes you want to go watch a good movie can't be bad,eh? :D

Guess this might also be considered a open-ended letter to HTF thanking everyone who comes here and contributes, as well as to the others who make it run so smoothly....... thank you for being here and helping us experience all the glory that is Home Theater. Just wanted to hear other people's thoughts on this kind of thing. Now if y'all excuse me, I have to go watch to my Ghostbusters music video.:)

Scott Ware

Stunt Coordinator
I'm the one who made the Ghostbusters reference you speak of. It's nice to see that a reference to one of my favorite movies from the '80s re-newed your interest in the film.

To answer your question, a discussion here (or an offhand reference, like my comment about Ghostbusters was) can lead me to watch a re-watch a movie I hadn't seen in a while. In fact, a discussion amongst friends can cause the same thing to happen. Just last night, I had a discussion with some friends about sequels. "Blues Brothers" was mentioned as a movie whose sequel was dissapointing. I hadn't seen "Blues Brothers" in a long time, which lead me to watch the movie again today.

I can't think of any specific examples of when a discussion at HTF has caused me to watch a movie I hadn't seen in a while over again, but it has happened. On a similar note, discussions at HTF has also caused me to become interested in a movie that I probably would have otherwise overlooked.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt

Donnie Darko, Pi, Equilibrium, Requiem For A Dream. I would never have seen those movies if it hadn't been for discussions on this forum. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
In the thread on the 2005 DVD release of Bambi, Ernest Rister posted a review he had written of Grave Of The Fireflies. I was so fascinated by that review that I bought it as a blind-buy (something I never do), and was completely in awe of it. I loaned it to some friends, the guy I work with. I then loaned it to my parents, who are now lending it out to everyone they know.

So now there is this circle of people in NZ that have seen and been moved by a little low-profile Japanese anime film, all because of someting written on the HTF.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

I wholeheartedly agree with both of you. There's dozens of films I've discovered, and fallen in love with, thanks to the discussions here.

And then there's some I SHOULD have seen years ago, but was only compelled to watch because of the praise for them I saw here (2001, and pretty much every other Kubrick film outside of FMJ, which I'd seen a decade ago).

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"In the thread on the 2005 DVD release of Bambi, Ernest Rister posted a review he had written of Grave Of The Fireflies. I was so fascinated by that review that I bought it as a blind-buy (something I never do), and was completely in awe of it. I loaned it to some friends, the guy I work with. I then loaned it to my parents, who are now lending it out to everyone they know.

So now there is this circle of people in NZ that have seen and been moved by a little low-profile Japanese anime film, all because of someting written on the HTF."

You shouldn't say things like that, Matthew. I'm liable to start pulling pranks on people...recommending some horrible movie and then chuckling to myself as people run off to the video store.

"Donnie Darko, Pi, Equilibrium, Requiem For A Dream, Ghostbusters and Grave of the Fireflies are pretty good...but they're no BeastMaster 2 or Sssssss!."

(laughs as people go to Amazon.com to order BeastMaster 2 and Sssssss!)

In all seriousness, can you believe someone actually made a movie called Sssssss!? I can just imagine the conversation between the director and some random guy on a bus...

GUY ON BUS
What do you do for a living?

DIRECTOR
I'm a film director.

GUY ON BUS
Oh, really! I have a cousin who is a screenwriter. So what are you working on?

DIRECTOR
Sssssss!

GUY ON BUS
Excuse me?

DIRECTOR
Sssssss! You know, the sound a snake makes?

GUY ON BUS

DIRECTOR
You know...Sssssssssss!

GUY ON BUS
Uh huh.

DIRECTOR
We were going to call it Ssssssnake, but Universal thought Sssssss would be better.

GUY ON BUS
What's it about?

DIRECTOR
It's about a guy who meets a girl, falls in love --

GUY ON BUS
-- Uh huh --

DIRECTOR
-- and then he gets turned into a snake and eaten by a mongoose.

GUY ON BUS
(pulls "stop" chain)
Lemme off here, Charlie.

CHARLIE THE BUS DRIVER
This isn't your stop.

GUY ON BUS
I know, I'll take the next one...

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt

I love that scene. Victor Kruger AKA The Kurgan, has to be one of the best villians ever!

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Well, Vlad D, it looks like you are causing me to want to watch a movie I haven't seen in a while with the pic of Candy and the Kurgan.

You are certainly right, he was one of the best screen villains.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.