What's new

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021) (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I like it, be different. We don't need the same thing over and over again. I like it that it feels like a spooky movie.

"Ghostbusters" was primarily a comedy with supernatural elements. This teaser makes the new film look like all spook and no humour.

It is one thing to tell a different story but throwing out the heart of of what made "GB" what it was is not change for the better.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Wow. It looks more.like a"Stranger Things" movie than "Ghostbusters". There wasn't one funny thing in that entire teaser.
Mostly likely enhanced by the unfortunate presence of Finn Wolfhard, and the focus on the kids. More like a Goosebumps movie than Ghostbusters.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mostly likely enhanced by the unfortunate presence of Finn Wolfhard, and the focus on the kids. More like a Goosebumps movie than Ghostbusters.

Yeah. That teaser trailer is not a.promising start. We'll have to wait for more trailers to make any definitive conclusion. However, what I saw in that TT was not a "Ghostbusters" film, regardless of the appearance of Ecto 1.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Wasn't there talks that most of the original actors are back? If so, I'm sure the humor comes with them. They just didn't want to reveal too much in this teaser which I think is the correct thing to do.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Definitely taking this in a different direction than I expected. At least it isn't a retread.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

That isn't going to get butts in seats. After the failure of the last Ghostbusters film, the green light for this film has me absolutely stumped as to what Sony was thinking. Some films are just a product of their time. This would have been fine as a Netflix exclusive feature.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
the green light for this film has me absolutely stumped as to what Sony was thinking.
They're thinking that a film directed by the son of the director of the original film, with some participation of the original actors, might have a chance at being a hit.

Whether that's the film that was actually made will be another matter.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
It's unfortunate it's not going to be a comedy but no one can pull off self-deprecating humor, in writing or performance, on the level of the original Ghostbusters these days except maybe the surviving creators. So it's probably good they don't try. On the plus side it's "spook" looks like all other spook in the horror genre, so there's that (kidding).

But seriously I did get the feels hearing the Ecto-1 siren. That's always a winner.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I’ll actually wait till after I see the film for that conclusion. ;)

I guess if you want avoid spoilers that is a legitimate reason. If I watch 3 or 4 trailers and see nothing funny in them then that will tell me that the film has done more than go in a different direction. It will have abandoned the entire premise behind the original GB franchise which was to be a comedy first and a spook show a distant second.

I mean, the Stay Puft marshmallow man as the bringer of the Apocalypse? Really?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Wow. It looks more.like a"Stranger Things" movie than "Ghostbusters".
That was my first thought as well. I don't know if it will succeed, but it seems like a smarter pitch than the Paul Feig movie, where they just hit the original beats, but gender-reversed and lazier.

This feels like it's set in the same universe as the first two films, but at the same time it feels like its own animal. The decision to not use the Ray Parker Jr. song was also a bold choice.

Wasn't there talks that most of the original actors are back? If so, I'm sure the humor comes with them. They just didn't want to reveal too much in this teaser which I think is the correct thing to do.
All three of the surviving original Ghostbusters are going to be back -- though, if I had to guess, I would bet Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson will have a lot more screen time than Bill Murray. I would guess that Bill Murray has a glorified cameo.

And I'm 90 percent sure that Carrie Coon is playing Egon Spengler's daughter, and Mckenna Grace and Finn Wolfhard are playing his grandkids. The puzzle in the floor seems like the kind of thing he'd have come up with, and he was the one who designed most of the technology.

The one question is how he has a daughter that was born circa 1981 when the movies gave no indication of any romantic relationships whatsoever. I'm guessing she was the product of a relationship that ended before the first movie, or perhaps he was a sperm donor -- though IVF was only about three years old at that point.

That isn't going to get butts in seats. After the failure of the last Ghostbusters film, the green light for this film has me absolutely stumped as to what Sony was thinking. Some films are just a product of their time. This would have been fine as a Netflix exclusive feature.
You may be right. But the trailer currently has over 161 thousand up votes and less than 9 thousand down votes. So there is a positive reception to this that the reboot didn't enjoy.

There is also a difference in expectations based on the budget. Feig spent $150 million making the reboot, which only grossed $128 million domestically. Reitman made Ghostbusters: Aftermath for less than $50 million, telling an intimate and contained story in a small rural town rather than an epic, visual effects-driven story that destroys half of Manhattan. Whereas $128 million was a horrendous failure for the megabudget reboot, $128 million would be a huge success for Afterlife.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
And I'm 90 percent sure that Carrie Coon is playing Egon Spengler's daughter, and Mckenna Grace and Finn Wolfhard are playing his grandkids. The puzzle in the floor seems like the kind of thing he'd have come up with, and he was the one who designed most of the technology.

although I am wondering if the house is the same house that Ray mortgaged to get the capital needed to become ghostbusters.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
There is also a difference in expectations based on the budget. Feig spent $150 million making the reboot, which only grossed $128 million domestically. Reitman made Ghostbusters: Aftermath for less than $50 million, telling an intimate and contained story in a small rural town rather than an epic, visual effects-driven story that destroys half of Manhattan. Whereas $128 million was a horrendous failure for the megabudget reboot, $128 million would be a huge success for Afterlife.

With a production budget of $50 million it may be a winner after all.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Wow, they are actually made a 3rd installment in the original timeline, after the annoying, constant talk about "having a script ready" and all that. And after watching this trailer, it does not have me excited enough to want to see it in theaters. Maybe because I feel like it "too little, too late". And that it feels more of a Goonies feel than that of Ghostbusters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks