Ghostbusters (2016)

Reggie W

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Some things I disagree with here. On it's face making the characters female and the secretary male is not a bad idea and it does not exclude males going to see the film. Women are funny. Also, films reflect the time in which they are made and things have changed since the original film.

I do not understand why the gender change was upsetting, it makes no sense to me and I'm a fan of the original. If the did a remake of To Kill a Mockingbird and made Atticus female, yeah, bad idea. But GB is not holy scripture, IMHO.

Making Sulu obviously gay in one small portion of the film ism also a reflection of our current time. I don't get that the original actor didn't like the idea, though I know he did. I had not issue with it.

I think we do need to make an effort to diversity, it doesn't happen on it's own.
The gender change did not upset me but...and this is the issue...it upset fans of the original version and I believe you could see that coming a mile away. I'm not a giant Ghostbusters fan so I don't really have a dog in that fight. To me they hired a group of fairly well known and talented comic actors to do the remake but we do know that according to studio memos they wanted this version to be a girl's night out film. Hence the gender flop.

I mean if they made the remake with Steve Carell, Kevin Hart, Kevin James, and Chris Pratt as the Ghostbusters would it be a better film? Probably not. Would it still have hilariously ruined some people's childhoods? Yeah, they probably would say it did.

My point is instead of putting out this half-baked remake why not just BE CREATIVE and create a new property for a group of female comic actors? And you know the answer is because they want to hedge their bets and cash in on the Ghostbusters name...so, they want to be allowed to go for the cash grab but not take any flack for doing so? I don't think so. You know people will come down hard on them for that...and mostly...rightly so. And in the end they failed, no sequel, no new franchise...all they will likely do now is at some point again try to cash in on the Ghostbusters name with a new cast...probably guys...or to "reflect our society" a gay Ghostbuster, various ethnic Ghostbusters, and a woman. And then they will loudly pat themselves on the back for being so brave and promoting diversity.

I mean eventually you know they will say it is "time" for a gay Ghostbuster...because you know all ethnic groups and sexual preferences should have their own Ghostbuster to admire and root for. China needs a Ghostbuster too.

I did not care that they made Sulu gay either. It was sort of inconsiderate because they used that character because of Mr. Takei's sexual preference...which is Takei's own business. They could have made Spock gay because he also is played by a gay actor. They could have made Kirk bisexual because as my friends and I used to joke when we used to watch the original series Kirk slept with pretty much anything he could get his hands on as he traveled the universe. Kirk is certainly the horniest man in the galaxy. I mean who knows what sort of sexually transmitted diseases he contracted...there is no question why one of his best buddies was a doctor. Poor McCoy probably had to spend more time looking at Kirk's schlong than his own. "Damn it, Jim, what did you stick this thing in now?"

But you know they would not risk making Kirk or Spock or even McCoy gay because they would fear that may upset too many people and lose them money. I mean a gay McCoy would be funny "Damn it, Jim, you know I've always wanted you!"

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony Bensley

Reggie W

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Not a valid comparison. Of course it'd be absurd to make a story about one very specific demographic "diverse", but movies like "Ghostbusters" or "Star Trek" can enjoy "diverse" casts without negative ramifications...
That was meant to be funny and hopefully nobody would do that.

WillG

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
I mean eventually you know they will say it is "time" for a gay Ghostbuster...because you know all ethnic groups and sexual preferences should have their own Ghostbuster to admire and root for.
I didn't see Ghostbusters but from what I heard, McKinnon's character was gay even though it wasn't explicitly stated.

Reactions: Reggie W

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
Jeez Will. All this time I thought you saw it. I'll say it again I just don't get all this trash talk if you (and others) HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN IT. [emoji15]

Last edited:
Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Tony Bensley

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The gender change did not upset me but...and this is the issue...it upset fans of the original version and I believe you could see that coming a mile away. I'm not a giant Ghostbusters fan so I don't really have a dog in that fight. To me they hired a group of fairly well known and talented comic actors to do the remake but we do know that according to studio memos they wanted this version to be a girl's night out film. Hence the gender flop.

I mean if they made the remake with Steve Carell, Kevin Hart, Kevin James, and Chris Pratt as the Ghostbusters would it be a better film? Probably not. Would it still have hilariously ruined some people's childhoods? Yeah, they probably would say it did.

My point is instead of putting out this half-baked remake why not just BE CREATIVE and create a new property for a group of female comic actors? And you know the answer is because they want to hedge their bets and cash in on the Ghostbusters name...so, they want to be allowed to go for the cash grab but not take any flack for doing so? I don't think so. You know people will come down hard on them for that...and mostly...rightly so. And in the end they failed, no sequel, no new franchise...all they will likely do now is at some point again try to cash in on the Ghostbusters name with a new cast...probably guys...or to "reflect our society" a gay Ghostbuster, various ethnic Ghostbusters, and a woman. And then they will loudly pat themselves on the back for being so brave and promoting diversity.

I mean eventually you know they will say it is "time" for a gay Ghostbuster...because you know all ethnic groups and sexual preferences should have their own Ghostbuster to admire and root for. China needs a Ghostbuster too.

I did not care that they made Sulu gay either. It was sort of inconsiderate because they used that character because of Mr. Takei's sexual preference...which is Takei's own business. They could have made Spock gay because he also is played by a gay actor. They could have made Kirk bisexual because as my friends and I used to joke when we used to watch the original series Kirk slept with pretty much anything he could get his hands on as he traveled the universe. Kirk is certainly the horniest man in the galaxy. I mean who knows what sort of sexually transmitted diseases he contracted...there is no question why one of his best buddies was a doctor. Poor McCoy probably had to spend more time looking at Kirk's schlong than his own. "Damn it, Jim, what did you stick this thing in now?"

But you know they would not risk making Kirk or Spock or even McCoy gay because they would fear that may upset too many people and lose them money. I mean a gay McCoy would be funny "Damn it, Jim, you know I've always wanted you!"
Or "It's dead, Jim."
Is it? :laugh::rolling-smiley::dancing-banana-04:

Reactions: Johnny Angell

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I didn't see Ghostbusters but from what I heard, McKinnon's character was gay even though it wasn't explicitly stated.
Having seen the film, I can say with 100% certainty that the sexuality of McKinnon's character was not addressed in the film.

Reactions: Tino

Reggie W

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I have not seen this new Ghostbusters either...it's just not my kind of film...and I don't have any issues with it other than it is another attempt at a "franchise" reboot to make a cash grab. I also don't care what they do with the property in the future. They can do a gay version, a Chinese version, an animated version with talking animals as the Ghostbusters...I won't be paying to see any of them.

But you know they will wait some time and come back to it...because why bother thinking up something new? That would take creativity and actually doing some work and...OH MY...taking a bit of a risk! (all of Hollywood hides their wallets emoji)

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
But you know they will wait some time and come back to it...because why bother thinking up something new? That would take creativity and actually doing some work and...OH MY...taking a bit of a risk! (all of Hollywood hides their wallets emoji)
I always say it but I blame the audiences more because if people saw more than just established properties, Hollywood would take some chances.

Reactions: Reggie W

WillG

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Jeez Will. All this time I thought you saw it. I'll say it again I just don't get all this trash talk if you (and others) HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN IT. [emoji15]
What did I say? I know I made comments about the trailer and that the movie looked bad to me based on the trailers. I never said to anyone who said they liked it that they were wrong.

What I said a little while ago about the movie insinuating McKinnon's character was gay (as she is in real life) was something I heard from people who did see the movie. I don't see how that constitutes trash talk.

WillG

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Having seen the film, I can say with 100% certainty that the sexuality of McKinnon's character was not addressed in the film.
I did say that it wasn't explicitly stated, but from what I heard, there are parts running throughout the movie where McKinnon's character appears to have the hots for Wiig's character.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Real Name
Tony D.
I got a vibe that McKinnon's character was a lesbian.
for a little bit I thought her and McCarthy were together.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I did say that it wasn't explicitly stated, but from what I heard, there are parts running throughout the movie where McKinnon's character appears to have the hots for Wiig's character.
Again, having seen the movie, I can say that there is simply nothing like what you're describing in the movie.

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
What did I say? I know I made comments about the trailer and that the movie looked bad to me based on the trailers. I never said to anyone who said they liked it that they were wrong.

What I said a little while ago about the movie insinuating McKinnon's character was gay (as she is in real life) was something I heard from people who did see the movie. I don't see how that constitutes trash talk.
Sorry Will. I'm so used to Tony trashing films he hasn't seen ( and even ones he's liked) that I must have thought you were doing the same. My apologies if you didn't. [emoji13]

Reactions: WillG

Aaron Silverman

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I hope in the next Ghostbusters remake, whether they use male or female characters, they make them ALL gay and in a polyamorous relationship with each other. Just so I can watch people's heads explode. :rock:

They could have made Spock gay because he also is played by a gay actor.
Poor Uhura!

Kirk is certainly the horniest man in the galaxy. I mean who knows what sort of sexually transmitted diseases he contracted...there is no question why one of his best buddies was a doctor.
Now THAT'S funny! :rolling-smiley:

As for Goodfellas. . .that wasn't just about a demographic; it was based on a true story. Henry Hill was a real guy.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wombat