What's new

Ghostbusters (2016) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I both thought BFG was a good movie but the public did not.
I don't think it's so much that the public rejected it or thought it was bad as much as they didn't even see it. Granted, not even seeing a movie is a rejection but it's not as if huge numbers of people saw it and hated it because they never even went. Since it's Spielberg, The BFG will have a fairly long shelf life and I think it will eventually be embraced by kids who can handle watching something other than movies that are for people with ADD.

To stay on the movie at hand, I think it's sad that Ghostbusters is probably the most talked about movie of the summer. It shows that people want to complain more than they want to talk about things they liked and I think it shows that movies that people generally liked (say Captain America or Star Trek) are becoming more and more disposable as those movies are fairly quickly pushed aside for the next new movie. I'm not taking any shots at anyone because I'm guilty of it too.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
To stay on the movie at hand, I think it's sad that Ghostbusters is probably the most talked about movie of the summer. It shows that people want to complain more than they want to talk about things they liked and I think it shows that movies that people generally liked (say Captain America or Star Trek) are becoming more and more disposable as those movies are fairly quickly pushed aside for the next new movie. I'm not taking any shots at anyone because I'm guilty of it too.
You are right. People want to complain and criticize more than they want enjoy and praise. I don't know why.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
I was amazed to see this once-great franchise being so badly mishandled every step of the way with this new iteration and deserving of being the failure it was. Unfunny, poorly-written, blatantly misandrist, and with a cast of shockingly unappealing stereotypes, there are good reasons why people are staying away in droves and re-watching the originals to cleanse their palates. I'm sure the small clutch of fierce, man-hating, blue-haired lesbianic feminazis the films is so obviously aimed at enjoyed it, but it certainly won't be enough to keep it afloat at the box office.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I was amazed to see this once-great franchise being so badly mishandled every step of the way with this new iteration and deserving of being the failure it was. Unfunny, poorly-written, blatantly misandrist, and with a cast of shockingly unappealing stereotypes, there are good reasons why people are staying away in droves and re-watching the originals to cleanse their palates. I'm sure the small clutch of fierce, man-hating, blue-haired lesbianic feminazis the films is so obviously aimed at enjoyed it, but it certainly won't be enough to keep it afloat at the box office.
I expanded my vocabulary today because I had to look up misandrist. IMHO, it's a poor film, others may think it's a fine film and find the humor I missed. I'm a straight male, an old fart with no hair, I don't hate men or women, and I think the film was aimed at me. Too bad it missed the target.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
I'm not sure the film was aimed at men, as this group was demeaned, ridiculed and insulted throughout. Not too bright to alienate the largest part of their fanbase, IMHO.

I expanded my vocabulary today because I had to look up misandrist. IMHO, it's a poor film, others may think it's a fine film and find the humor I missed. I'm a straight male, an old fart with no hair, I don't hate men or women, and I think the film was aimed at me. Too bad it missed the target.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

You point about people wanting to complain is spot on.

I differ slightly on movies people generally like, though. While people do seem to move on to the next movie quickly, I think there is a lot of discussion going on - before it comes out. If you look, Civil War has almost as many pages as GB16, and Star Trek has about twice as many. With the advent of the internet it makes it much easier to get casting news, spoilers, early reviews, etc. That's where you get most of the discussion - while the whole of the movie is unknown. Once a person sees it, unless they know nothing about it and are just blown away, he or she will go on record, stating their like/dislike, etc. but they've already 'processed' or 'digested' most of their feelings for the movie by the time they see it.

So, in essence, I think good movies are talked about; they're just more 'front-loaded'.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm not sure the film was aimed at men, as this group was demeaned, ridiculed and insulted throughout. Not too bright to alienate the largest part of their fanbase, IMHO.
I didn't say it was aimed at men, I said it was aimed at me. It was a comedy (I like to laugh), it was a reboot of a favorite franchise (which I don't automatically oppose), I knew of and like two of the actresses (Wiig and McCarthy). So aimed at me.

Was Thor playing the secretary what you object too? Did you also object to the secretary in the Producers and countless other movies that weren't always kind to women? I thought the reversal of roles was a good idea. They just forgot to make it funny.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I strongly disagree with this assessment of the film. I'm a male, and I don't feel that I was demeaned, ridiculed or insulted at any point during the movie. I agree with Johnny's assessment that it wasn't as funny as it should have been, but I do not feel that the movie was in any way an attack on my manhood.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought they got more right than wrong. But definitely room for improvement.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
"Ghostbusters' Heading for $70M-Plus Loss, Sequel Unlikely"

Can't anyone add any more?

Budget $144 million
Break even is about $400 million
Current worldwide $180 million

I think that adds up to more than $70 million. [emoji12]

Too bad. Star Trek Beyond is in a similar situation.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
This is their math.

". As of Aug. 7, "Ghostbusters" had earned just under $180 million at the global box office, including $117 million domestic. The film still hasn't opened in a few markets, including France, Japan and Mexico, but box-office experts say it will have trouble getting to $225 million despite a hefty net production budget of $144 million plus a big marketing spend. The studio has said break-even would be $300 million."

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Because the all female Ghostbusters remake/reboot was such a smash hit they have decided to do more all female remakes/reboots! Next up we are getting an all female remake/reboot of the Oceans 11 series of films with the first film in the soon to be dead franchise being called Oceans 8!

It is so damn exciting and ingenious that they are remaking/rebooting films we've already seen with all female casts! How brilliant!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Because the all female Ghostbusters remake/reboot was such a smash hit they have decided to do more all female remakes/reboots! Next up we are getting an all female remake/reboot of the Oceans 11 series of films with the first film in the soon to be dead franchise being called Oceans 8!

It is so damn exciting and ingenious that they are remaking/rebooting films we've already seen with all female casts! How brilliant!
I never really thought about it before but I think they really should be given some credit for trying to add some kind of new element to yet another remake. However, they should have known that people really only want to see the same thing over and over so making a change to the gender of the cast was too big of a change.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks