Ghost World and other surprises

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by L. Anton Dencklau, Dec 8, 2001.

1. L. Anton Dencklau

L. Anton Dencklau Second Unit

Maybe my complaints about not getting Requiem for a Dream or Memento to play theatrically have paid off because once again my local theater has surprised me. About a month and half ago, with little fanfare, they played Apocalypse Now Redux for a week. This week I open the newspaper to see they have gotten Ghost World and Better Than Sex. Have I mentioned I live in a town of about 50,000 people? Now I'm stuck. We get two independent movies, theres no way I'll have time to see them both. I'm equally sure they'll be in and out in one week. Has anyone out there seen Better Than Sex? I really don't know anything about it. I've heard really good things about Ghost World. AAAH. What to choose?

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I liked Ghost World, but be warned that it's pretty quirky. It does feature some good performances by Thora Birch and Steve Buscemi.

Make the time to see both!

3. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Ghost World is one of the better films this year and should not be missed. I haven't seen Better Than Sex but in real life, I'm wondering what that would be? [​IMG]
    ~Edwin

4. L. Anton Dencklau

L. Anton Dencklau Second Unit

I drug three friends to the theater with me and after looking at the posters we ended up choosing Better Than Sex. We all agreed that it was pretty good. The audience was a little strange: we are all in our late 20's and the 10 or so other people there were at minimum 45-50 years old. [​IMG]
    The movie itself was pretty funny. It almost could have been a stage play, most of it takes place in the girls apartment (None of could remember any of the characters names.) The plot is essentially girl picks up guy: they have sex a lot, thinking its a casual affair. The sex is really good, they like each other and then, uh oh. How do you move from fun, uncomplicated sex into an actual relationship?
    The movie has its share of funny, and sexy moments: The girl blurts out "i love you" as she's about to..., they comment on a nature show showing wild animals..., and the moment when we all simulanteously groaned: the girls asks "How many other girls...?"
    The apartment scenes are intercut with bits where the couple talk to the camera/audience se we know exactly what both are thinking as their courtship plays out. Its actually kind of like An Affair of Love, which I caught on HBO about month ago, except the tone is entirely different. That was sort of sad, and this is very romantic comedy happy.
    Overall, it was a fun time at the movies. It's definitely worth seeing, especially if you have a group of friends who will laugh at the same things you will.
    Postscript: to my delight the theater had a listing of dates and title of their upcoming movies: on list was Mulholland Drive, the Man Who Wasn't There, The Majestic, The Shipping News, Novocaine, and The Deep End.[​IMG]
    Amelie wasn't on the list, but if we actually get all of those here, I will have very little to complain about for the next two months.

5. Stevan Lay

Stevan Lay Second Unit