What's new

Ghost Story question (1 Viewer)

Martin S

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone bought the reissue of Universal's GHOST STORY? (the one with the 4 old men being terrorised by a vengeful spirit)
The old version had a mono soundtrack but I've heard that this new one may have a surround track.Is this correct? Does it finally have some stereo presence?

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
The new Universal DVD is also in mono (as was the original film), but the sound is MUCH, MUCH better than the old Image DVD release. That old disc had sound levels that were so atrocious you could barely hear the dialogue. If you're a fan of the movie, go with the new DVD, as it also has the trailer and is 16:9 (albeit the transfer is still a bit grainy).

Too bad there wasn't a Special Edition of this title, as tons of footage was cut -- there were numerous endings shot, additional make-up creatures, and lots of subplots, all of which hit the cutting room floor.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Personally I think it is a POS that had true potential since it was based on a pretty good novel by Peter Straub, for me the only things in it that make it worth watching are Dick Smith's Makeup (which was drastically cut down in the editing), Albert Whitlock's FX (....some of them at least...Craig Wasson's nude "falling" blue screen FX were...disturbing:) ),Philippe Sarde's score & Alice Krige's performance...very chilling.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
The movie may have been disappointing considering how good the book was, but it's anything BUT a "POS" for me anyway. The movie has great cinematography, a terrific score by Philippe Sarde, several genuinely creepy moments, and fine performances. Well worth watching -- and a lot classier than most genre films.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Ok, substitute POS with "clunky and obvious in the extreme".

Put it this way...a year before, Peter Medak's The Changeling was released & although I don't really like that film a great deal either I still think it is miles ahead of Ghost Story which had so much talent both in front of & behind the camera that it's failure as a thriller is almost inexcusable...IMO.

To put it even another way...give it a rent first before you buy.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I may have to give this movie another shot. I watched it after reading the terrific book and was HUGELY disappointed. The wasp-and-knife part toward the end of the book still sticks in my mind as a wince-inducing moment. But the movie did have some creepy parts and I always liked the music.

Martin S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks folks for the info. I've ordered the new copy.
I also (obviously!) don't think GHOST STORY is a POS, its just a shame that it isn't half as good as it could have been. The makeup for the 'frights' is great but the film is pretty badly directed, making it about as scary as an episode of 'Sponge-Bob'! That aside it still has a lot going for it with great atmosphere and a unique cast of great older actors in their final years. Also, it's worth it just for the incredible performance from Alice Krige. An issue of CINEFANTASTIQUE, at the time of the film's making, showed what it could have been with some of the stuff they ditched. The great image of the 'mouth-for-a-face' ghost actually ended up briefly appearing in the remake of HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks